Small 1970s quarry prototypes sought?

Ralf

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, 

Again, I'm finally trying to nail down my 1970-ish industrial shunting plank to an industry and track plan, after bewilderment at the astonishing White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam (see link below), also spotted Iain Rice (a hero of mine) has a Wee Puggie in his Cameo book - an Argyllshire quarry (buy / look at the book), thirdly and slightly curve ball is my admiration of Canute Quay (see link below) which isn't remotely Quarry based but in such a small space I'm sure the track plan could be borrowed / amended to suit a quarry scenario...

Any thoughts on a 4"x1" --> 6"x2" 1970ish quarry much appreciated, looking to use my enormous fleet of RTR industrials incl USA Tank, Janus, Ruston 48DS, Hattons ABs, J94s and much more.... Variety of wagons and motive power important, also vitally after some enthralling shunting action - for some reason, if it's a contrived excuse to use the inglenook qualities of a plan which might not be quite prototypical, but at least I can run prototypically or play inglenooks... 

Some thoughts / directions would be much appreciated as I'm keen and feel ready to actually bash on and do some actual modelling... (Started my first cakebox earlier, will start a thread tomorrow!) 

Thanks
Frustrated of Derby (Ralf) 

Wirksworth, near Derby, was a relatively small set-up, but which handled several distinct products (roadstone, sugar stone etc) on a multi-level site.

Caldon/Cauldon quarry near Leek: not much, if any, rail traffic since the late 1970s. Then, there were sometimes two trains a day, with traffic in aggregate to Witton (Birmingham) and large boulders to S E London for the Thames Barrier

Oakamoor sand quarry, North Staffs.

Leekbrook Junction, which handled the traffic from both Caldon and Oakamoor, would make an interesting model, with three of the four diverging routes still extant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Jack Benson

The Quarry

We believe that this was the second iteration of a simple quarry that has been plagiarized on more than one occasion. The standard size on each occasion was 2,4x0.5m total with no fiddleyard. We used aquarium rock sheet for the backscene, it is both lightweight and nicely textured, suitable matchpot paints were used to disgust cuts and joints.

On both versions of the layout, the main buildings are Walthers' Cornerstone Glacier Gravel Works and Knightwing's mine buildings, both were heavily modified. Both layouts appeared on the exhibition circuit around the UK and continental Europe, shown here with the new owner.

IMG_0274.JPG.faf6286e8457d70760f5eff716579a75.JPGIMG_0268.JPG.0030de5790346304a4761f7da7d8ad42.JPGIMG_0521_800.jpg.bd3fd5d9611d46b64943323e15fd235b.jpgIMG_0528_800.jpg.9f8f5571acffa5c6200918a1f461119d.jpg

The last image is, ironically, the first 'quarry layout' that was truly awful to operate - never use a concealed fiddle yard.

nevard_100529_grafenwald_IMG_7038.jpg.b82605f40656d6b846d541efb4b190fd.jpg

The prototype was the kalkwerke at Stomberg <link

Unfortunately razed to the ground just a few years ago, nevertheless, it was accessible for photography and the above link will take you to some nice images of the quarry in its heyday.

IMG_0072.jpg.86fe191c90cf585aee270d4f5fead5e3.jpg

JB

Edited by Jack Benson

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

2,4x0.5m total with no fiddleyard

Thanks Jack, could you elaborate how that worked? Surely the empty or loaded wagons went somewhere / re-appeared from somewhere? Also it's longer than I was planning, how long were the rakes of wagons used?

Have I seen the layout in CM at some stage in the fairly recent past? Will need to have a dig but hopefully once I know if I'm barking up entirely the wrong tree...

Thanks
Ralf

Edited by Ralf

Guest Jack Benson

7 hours ago, Ralf said:

Thanks Jack, could you elaborate how that worked? Surely the empty or loaded wagons went somewhere / re-appeared from somewhere? Also it's longer than I was planning, how long were the rakes of wagons used?

Have I seen the layout in CM at some stage in the fairly recent past? Will need to have a dig but hopefully once I know if I'm barking up entirely the wrong tree...

Thanks
Ralf

As I tried to explain, there were two versions, the first had a kickback siding to a fiddleyard behind the backscene, it was awful as it forced the operator to stand on a box in order to see both the FY and scenic area.

The second version used headshunts tucked behind the larger buildings, we used a flat X track plan with a siding across the X to create a simple loop. 

It was simply a shunting puzzle with scenery and a theme of quarry. Depending on the audience we  used either BR or DB stock but never together, the road vehicles also swapped, I believe that it is now running as a blue banger  layout somewhere in the North East.

Wagons- two 40t or three 25t hoppers in the loop, six coupled locos were much preferred, the USA tank was not available to us at the time but the 03/08 combo worked really well.

image.jpeg.01c1191a2a04d6cc43453f3e0876d97b.jpeg

Happy to help

JB

If you like cement works, there were many: the entire Medway valley; Barrington in Cambs; Southerham and Beeding in Sussex; Tring ....... just a few that spring to mind.

Working was different in different places, and you’d need to decide whether you were doing ‘face to kiln’ or ‘kiln to BR’.

What about Ironstone? Corby was still very busy at your era, and the look of an ironstone pit is very different from most quarries.

Or hard limestone or granite, as aggregate or railway ballast. That Yankee Tank suggests Meldon.

I only know the southern half of England, so there must be tens further north.

• Informative/Useful 1

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 00:10, russ p said:

See if you can find out about raisby hill in county Durham that had a sentinel 060 until late 80s and a shed

Axlebox of this parish has an interesting project underway which is based on Raisby quarry;

Andy

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

Axlebox of this parish has an interesting project underway which is based on Raisby quarry;

Andy

It depends how small a quarry you're looking for...I really like the potential in this quarry...

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW005709

(Its Britain from Above, to zoom in you have to join & sign in - but as its free then no problem!)

You can make out a small gate behind the brake van which leads to a pair of rails stretching across the meadow and under a loading chute...and possibly even into what looks like a crushing shed beyond...

A/box

Edited by Axlebox
if only i could spell

2 hours ago, Axlebox said:

It depends how small a quarry you're looking for...I really like the potential in this quarry...

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW005709

(Its Britain from Above, to zoom in you have to join & sign in - but as its free then no problem!)

You can make out a small gate behind the brake van which leads to a pair of rails stretching across the meadow and under a loading chute...and possibly even into what looks like a crushing shed beyond...

A/box

Trouble is, the OP specified a 1970s or thereabouts quarry, and Pickering Quarry was long closed by then (OK, strictly dormant, as I believe it reopened in the mid 1980s).  The railway also closed in 1965.  

The time frame also complicates use of the Severn and Wye as a prototype, it being shut by 1970.

3 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Trouble is, the OP specified a 1970s or thereabouts quarry, and Pickering Quarry was long closed by then (OK, strictly dormant, as I believe it reopened in the mid 1980s).  The railway also closed in 1965.  

The time frame also complicates use of the Severn and Wye as a prototype, it being shut by 1970.

So I read....what we need is some 'stretchy' time!

Fast forward to 3.50 in this film for a view of the next quarry along the line from Pickering...this is 1965 and it just cries out to be modelled...

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/pick-pickering

A/box

Edited by Axlebox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

As I tried to explain, there were two versions, the first had a kickback siding to a fiddleyard behind the backscene, it was awful as it forced the operator to stand on a box in order to see both the FY and scenic area.

The second version used headshunts tucked behind the larger buildings, we used a flat X track plan with a siding across the X to create a simple loop. 

Ah ha, I see, thanks for the explanation! 

12 hours ago, Gordon A said:

The Severn and Wye series of books are worth a look at for small rail connected quarries and a range of collieries.

Thanks Gordon, I have ordered a couple of these to study! 

7 hours ago, Axlebox said:

Hmmm, think I was after more operating potential than that lol! I'll be over to inspect Garmondsway soon! 

4 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

I'm only really wanted to it be conceivable that such an operation continued into 70s an excuse for a eclectic mixed steam / diesel roster. Weather the prototype was strictly open or the back story isn't very water tight doesn't concern me greatly... 

Many thanks all... 

Ralf

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

That Yorkshire film has made me think of the obvious answer: but a copy of Tramway Engines by Rev Awdry; it contains all the detail you need of an excellent quarry railway.

Well... I suppose it's a trip to my parents loft to find my copy for 'research' purposes clearly... Whilst I'm skeptical it'll be much help I suppose actually it could be quite insightful... 

Loved the video of Newbridge, somehow I need to balance operational interest / shunting potential with it being small and simple... 

Ralf