Which was the first British train to go over 127mph ? ?

maico

Is that the edited version? the other version of that film shows the track jiggling about all over the place after the train passed at speed. It was kept very quiet for a long time after the event. They also had to change pantographs on the move as the carbons wore out very quickly at that speed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Woody100 said:

You need to use the word officially in the title. I have, as a secondman, been with drivers who have exceeded this speed... ....unofficially...

Its surprising how fast most stuff will go especially light engine,  the risks are traction motors unwinding and stopping the things , but yes it was done 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, russ p said:

Its surprising how fast most stuff will go especially light engine,  the risks are traction motors unwinding and stopping the things , but yes it was done 

Quite..

wasnt a class 47 clocked at a cricket score speed near Stafford once ?

ive had a lightening ride with a GWR prarie in the mid-high 50’s in 2009, from a standing start. (And it was a legit run on the mainline too)..

you can see the first 90 seconds acceleration here...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That French film shows a lot of coasting with the pans down as well. That OHLE looks a bit fragile to take that sort of abuse, I suppose the pan uplift was increased for the tests, in a hope of keeping some juice following...

Andy g

• Agree 2

There's an alternative film of the 1950s high speed French tests doing the rounds on youTube or some other film site. It was censored for a number of years because of the damage caused to track and overhead.

The  Gresley A4 – if the magazine article published around the time of the Great Gathering at York is truthful. The article commented on a presentation at York when crews of the A4s spoke of their experiences of running fast to catch up lost time. The official BR documents were produced that showed the timings between signal boxes and the records of the reprimands dished out the the crews responsible. The speeds quoted were quite incredible if the facts presented are true. Can anybody confirm?

Hi Folks,

I was on the footplate 46229 between Lancaster and Preston at 104mph when it lost its feet and the speedo needle went right around and pushed up against the underside of the needle rest. I would estimate 140ish. I think fair to say that unofficially there was a lot of very fast running in the late 1930's and again in the late 1950's especially with Bulleid's pacifics.

In other capers, some years ago I had RHDR No.3 up to 38mph. Naughty boys in charge that day.

Gibbo. 

• RMweb Premium

I remember reading in a general railway book about the French record attempts that as well as the arcing, there was a stream of molten metal particles given off due to the friction/heat - although not sure if it was the pan head or contact wire (or both)