Linny's Projects - bashing Hornby Mk1s into a unique prototype

Well, hello wider world! I'm usually to be found in the Pre-Grouping section of RMWeb, but this project absolutely can't be shoehorned in there, as I'm not even sure what period it comes under... probably modern image?

Earlier this year, my partner and I visited the Bluebell Railway for their Road and Rail event. As they are a wheelchair user, we'd phoned ahead to ask about accessibilty, and been assured that every service train would be wheelchair accessible. Usually this means a portable ramp into the guard's van, as this is usually the only vehicle in a rake with wide-enough doors. We were therefore pleasantly surprised to be ushered to a converted Mk1 TSO, which had had the toilet removed and replaced with a pair of hydraulic wheelchair lifts, one for each side, and to be able to ride with the other passengers. 

4941_27apr13_ras7589h.jpg
(Image from http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/4941.html )

The interior is a standard TSO at the non-toilet end, with most of the seating removed from the lift end and replaced with movable folding chairs.

With my partner having bought the Hattons P class in "Bluebell" guise, I decided it would be nice to build a model of this particular carriage to go with it, and to use this as an excuse to try the old art of Triang Mk1-bashing. I had considered using the newer Railroad Mk1s, as they include a TSO in their range, but with a 1-piece bodyshell, they're less amenable to cut-and-shuts than the older models. So, a few minutes on Microsoft Paint suggested that I would be able to make a close approximation using two BSK bodyshells, and substituting Bachmann or Replica *Commonwealth bogies. Fortunately, the Hornby BR1 bogies will not go to waste, as I have uses for them on my own pre-grouping layout...

I had a spare half hour this morning, and was pleasantly surprised at just how easy the ex-Triang Mk1s are to bash - the tab-and-slot at the top and bottom of the sides holds everything nicely in alignment, and I've already got one side of the carriage cut and assembled. The next step will be to glue the parts together, using the chassis and roof to hold everything in alignment, before having a go at the other side, followed by filling and smoothing.

20191222_122644.jpg

Still to go: Building the other side, changing the bogies, sorting the roof details, building the interior, painting, glazing, and finding and painting two figures to represent ourselves on the train!

So what do people think? Is it a Grouping model? Modern image?

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Very nice! 

Regarding coaches made accessible for wheelchair users, the Bluebell is probably the best at this (they outperform mainline companies, for one.), though the IoWSR I noticed has at least one four wheeler converted for the purpose (as does the Bluebell). On the MHR we still make do with ramps into the van, but said van is usually coupled to a TSO which at one end has had the seating modified as you described so there isn't that horrible experience of people being dumped in the van away from everyone else. Our Bulleid brake No.4211 is better as the modified seating is directly adjacent to the van, in the same coach.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1

From what I can tell, the ramp on the KESR carriage Petros has a manual ramp, but it does have an accessible lavatory, which this carriage lacks. 

Not much visible progress today, but one side has been glued together and some filler added, ready for rubbing down. Tomorrow I'll start on the other side. 

WTSO.jpg.04b3e1afce8730809d560b0617e7773d.jpg

20191223_205746.jpg

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve jus found this whilst googling for photos of coaches converted in preservation to carry wheelchairs for my own project!  I’d argue preservation specific modelling is definitely modern image.  Anyway, on my own project I’d converted a BCK as a disabled coach, with the partition removed in the parcels area and seats added.  The other I fancy doing is this off the NYMR, started life as a BG (not my photo, credit to emdjt42 on Flickr) .  More power to your elbow, I’m watching the development of this with interest.

7B6EE392-63F8-467A-B089-DA7A4771ED25.jpeg.752d9b6422c0f1b813ef6276980721f5.jpeg

Owain

• Like 3

It looks quite like that but:

a. the number is in the BG range

b. there is only room for 4 windows (3 and small actually fitted though) before reaching the guard's door. On a BSK there's a toilet, 4 windows and a normal door before reaching the guard's door.

Using a Tri-ang donor Mk.1 the BSK would be the obvious starting point though, taking the extra length out and shortening the chassis and roof to match. You'd still need a few more windows though, perhaps from a CK compartment side.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1