Yellow ends?

2 hours ago, Trog said:

Myself I think that bright head lights are the best safety improvement for years,

Not when, as in my previous posts, they're so bright as to effectively blind drivers coming the other way

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

One small correction. We are not leaving either CEN nor CENELEC, and we will still also be a member of the equivalent railway organisation (name forgotten, age coming on!) as it is wider than the EU.

So we will be able to influence European and thus international standards. This was deemed important because so many international standards are now derived from European standards (and often in their turn derived from British Standards).

Jonathan

You'll see in the TSIs we have had a significant influence in the non-compliances allowing  for the UK historical loading gauge.  I think the railway industry professionals saw the problem with OCS clearances; sadly non-rail experienced safety professionals appear not to have done so!!

On 04/01/2020 at 21:59, corneliuslundie said:

One small correction. We are not leaving either CEN nor CENELEC, and we will still also be a member of the equivalent railway organisation (name forgotten, age coming on!) as it is wider than the EU.

So we will be able to influence European and thus international standards. This was deemed important because so many international standards are now derived from European standards (and often in their turn derived from British Standards).

Jonathan

UIC?.

• RMweb Premium

As more and more stock comes on line with black or dark ends, I always find it interesting when a picture appears of one next to something with a yellow end, and it's very obvious how much more visible the latter is, at a glance, out of the corner of your eye. As others have said, I can't really see a good reason not to keep yellow ends even with improved headlights.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

As controversial as this may sound I for one am not bothered either way. Having worked on track for more years than I like to admit, I don’t find the yellow makes great difference until it’s closer than you may want. I do agree that the headlights coming on stream are a vast improvement, I also agree that some are too bright, DB 66’s spring to mind!! I have been on the P-way all my career, I’m not a desk jockey, I’m on the coal face as it is. Not only do I work with trains running day to day, I regularly do so as a IWA. I have been lucky to work on LNE, LNW and the Southern. I was on the LNW when the West Coast started its upgrade. Once this was complete and the loco hauled stock replaced with units, Virgin introduced the VHF timetable. Access dramatically changed, so did our way of thinking and working. We often worked at night on the Trent Valley section with two lines open.

The size of the yellow on some loco’s or units sometimes didn’t seem worth while. Many of my colleagues have a similar opinion. 

We all have our own thoughts and opinions, I don’t disagree with those who think yellow ends should still be used, it’s their opinion and valid points from their perspective. The above is mine and not intended to be of any offence. 

• Like 2

On 03/01/2020 at 20:44, Trog said:

Myself I think that bright head lights are the best safety improvement for years, and are worth wagon loads of safety paperwork.

Would that be the original 1980s headlights or the modern 10 million candlepower retina burners?

However a combination of a headlamp in a yellow front has got to be better that either on its own. I found that after nearly forty years of working on track I was sensitised to the particular shade of yellow paint used, and that it attracted my attention regardless of any movement.

Indeed, why does it have to be either or in the name of 'style'?

I also found that on a hot day heat shimmer deflects the light beam randomly spreading the beam and reducing its effectiveness. Conversely the shimmering effect on the image of the yellow front of an approaching train gives a false impression of more movement so that instead of steadily enlarging the trains image also changes in size, which is quite eye catching.

Plus the beams are so directional they are not very good on slightly curved track.

3 hours ago, royaloak said:

Would that be the original 1980s headlights or the modern 10 million candlepower retina burners?

My brothers car has a system that dips the headlights just for the section of the beam containing an on coming car. With full beam continuing to shine past on either side. Perhaps something similar could be used so oncoming drivers will not be dazzled.

The lack of the high beam in that sector should not be a huge hazard to track workers as the slight added risk of the beam dipping would be cancelled out by the beam dipping being a tip to look behind you.

On 12/01/2020 at 21:50, Trog said:

My brothers car has a system that dips the headlights just for the section of the beam containing an on coming car. With full beam continuing to shine past on either side. Perhaps something similar could be used so oncoming drivers will not be dazzled.

The lack of the high beam in that sector should not be a huge hazard to track workers as the slight added risk of the beam dipping would be cancelled out by the beam dipping being a tip to look behind you.

My car has that too.  In my experience it's not foolproof though and gets confused by road signs, rain and mist/fog.