NYMR GOATHLAND - Bridge 27 & Bridge 8 Replacement

s182ggu

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Simon Lee said:

The DB man was Mark Wetherell. Owt down the Esk Valley seems to have his name on it.

Certainly seems that way, me and mark did our training together and we were both NYMR volunteers in the early 80s.

I did a lot of specials down the whitby branch in late 80s and 90s

• Like 1

23 hours ago, s182ggu said:

Good Morning

Without wishing to seem impatient, can I ask how the bridge works have progressed since Paul's YouTube clip last Thursday?

Thanks in advance.

To be honest you haven't missed much, they are still on adding rebar to the deck, which isn't the most interesting thing to show but there are a couple of photos anyway.  Next week the concrete arrives for the deck so that should be a little more interesting for you all as it will finally start looking like a bridge.  I mean realistically its not that far off being finished, the rest of it is putting rail and S&T back together.

3.jpg.428b79d511f4345fa39abd1f9e49e507.jpg

4.jpg.844cdb898d72624f441c5ac357e12b94.jpg

In other news we have had the point rodding (probably 70+ years old) regalvanised and started

5.jpg.fff5f7955da23d9b078123b32f948553.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi Boris - many thanks for this update. 

As you say, laying in the reinforcing bars can hardly be described as fascinating but good to see progress, all the same. Oh....and the re-galvanised point rodding looks good as well!! 

Here's a couple of questions for you:

- How do they plan to get the concrete on to the bridge deck - pipe it from the road / overbridge or is there closer access available for concrete mixer trucks?

- In the gap between the two rail bridges (2nd pic), there is what looks like a new footway - does the lower level of this provide the route for point rodding / signal wire / comms cabling etc?

Thanks again for the bridge news and other information and we'll look forward to seeing the concrete being poured next week.

Best Wishes

17 minutes ago, s182ggu said:

- How do they plan to get the concrete on to the bridge deck - pipe it from the road / overbridge or is there closer access available for concrete mixer trucks?

- In the gap between the two rail bridges (2nd pic), there is what looks like a new footway - does the lower level of this provide the route for point rodding / signal wire / comms cabling etc?

Well they could use the station car park which is only the other side of the EWS wagon in the picture BUT the bridge to the station car park has a weight limit of just 3.5 tonnes so this isn't practical.  They are going to implement traffic control and pump the concrete down the main road in the background of shot 2.  A standard concrete line pump will run up to 150 metres (450 feet or so) which is well within the reach of the main road above the grass back, again in picture 2,

In the gap between the two rail bridges (2nd pic), there is what looks like a new footway - does the lower level of this provide the route for point rodding / signal wire / comms cabling etc?

That is indeed a walkway, there is a matching one of the other side above the river so the bridge can be inspected, I believe the footway panels will also lift out to enable access further down.  We won't be running S&T equipment along the underside of the walkway as its a pain to sort out/access.  I am not sure where the new rodding and signal wire run will go i.e. whether it crosses the new span or the old span, I'll find out for you.  The one in the photo will likely see regular use by signalmen taking tokens to longer Up trains in the summer.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Boris said:

To be honest you haven't missed much, they are still on adding rebar to the deck, which isn't the most interesting thing to show but there are a couple of photos anyway.  Next week the concrete arrives for the deck so that should be a little more interesting for you all as it will finally start looking like a bridge.  I mean realistically its not that far off being finished, the rest of it is putting rail and S&T back together.

3.jpg.428b79d511f4345fa39abd1f9e49e507.jpg

4.jpg.844cdb898d72624f441c5ac357e12b94.jpg

In other news we have had the point rodding (probably 70+ years old) regalvanised and started

5.jpg.fff5f7955da23d9b078123b32f948553.jpg

I see Brucie has had a haircut and become a traffic cone , he needs to watch his blood pressure face looks a bit red!

2 hours ago, russ p said:

I see Brucie has had a haircut and become a traffic cone , he needs to watch his blood pressure face looks a bit red!

No, that's his role model, he's more of a miniature traffic cone kind of person

• Funny 1

Hello Everyone,

NYMR has put some short videos about this on YOUTUBE

under the channel name NYMRFOOTAGE

Updates 1-6 so far

Information is very lacking but interesting all the same

Be nice to see what it is going to look like too

Take care everyone

M

10 minutes ago, Bodie-37 said:

LOTS MORE PICTURES PLEASE

NYMRFOOTAGE is a third party channel run by one of the local enthusiasts.

I can't really just wander about the site randomly taking photos I am afraid, access is work related and there isn't that much of interest going on at the moment.  It's literally just a mass of rebar with some formers until concrete pumping starts next week.  I mean I can take loads of pictures of the Readymix lorries if you like?

I told you it wasn't exciting!

Everything survived the heavy rain quite well over the weekend as it was prolonged rather than one intense burst.  Not much exciting has happened aside from  a few more bits of scrap being taken away.  Concrete pouring should commence by the end of this week.

1.jpg.809495f9f3dc3593aa50e56fccc3842e.jpg

Rebar because some people are excited by that kind of thing.

2.jpg.228cbb4961b42da3ca5b305146a3e1ef.jpg

3.jpg.8e6455ca3ac9ccb1fe6abde612f1dd49.jpg

4.jpg.48c9ac15e3531313ef0bc5a1ccfcb106.jpg

5.jpg.7131e47f3f086787790ad193db77a033.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Boris said:

To be fair the new bridge bits all came without strap protectors as well from Tees yard

Really,  standards have obviously slipped since I worked up there

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, uax6 said:

What amazes me is the fact that there are still wagons around that can be used for this sort of thing, I haven't seen any for years!

Andy G

Those BDAs are well worn all right, they are the 70s conversions from the steam era bolsters Es and still have horse hooks on them!

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 08:03, russ p said:

Really,  standards have obviously slipped since I worked up there

The chain boxes on our Salmons usually had some old rail pads in them for that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Hi

As the OP for this thread, I though the least I could do would be to visit the site and post a minimum of one picture!!

So here it is - posted on 27th February and showing that concrete has been laid on the bridge deck and the pic also shows the Kirow crane seemingly assembling it's train - maybe for the move to Pickering for the Bridge 8 works?

I had a look out for you today Boris, but Goathland box was unmanned when I was there.

So many thanks to both Boris and Worsdell for their updates so far and hopefully you can continue providing those of us not so 'local' with the news, please?

Thanks again, chaps.

Bridge 2702.JPG

Edited by s182ggu
  • Like 5