Hornby Announce a Re-tooled Class 91 for 2020

MGR Hooper!

On 26/05/2023 at 16:24, Benjamin Brady said:

The driver really does make me laugh, must be second man to the invisible man 

I heard that this had happened with one of the other recent Class 91s, so was hoping that it would have been corrected for this one, but at least it will give me an opportunity to fit a driver in the future.  That aside, it is a very nice looking model and I am hoping that the matching DVT (82205) will be just as good.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've tried to skim through the thread but haven't spotted an answer to my question yet.

Would anyone know of a producer of 3D printed valance in-fills for the new Class 91?

I intend to have mine on display with my other UK AC electrics and, despite the need to remove the coupling mechanism, would really like to see such an item as I think Hornby have missed out on a trick with this one, unlike Bachmann's 90.

Cheers,

Michael

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michanglais said:

I've tried to skim through the thread but haven't spotted an answer to my question yet.

Would anyone know of a producer of 3D printed valance in-fills for the new Class 91?

I intend to have mine on display with my other UK AC electrics and, despite the need to remove the coupling mechanism, would really like to see such an item as I think Hornby have missed out on a trick with this one, unlike Bachmann's 90.

Cheers,

Michael

If you do find one, please share.....

Cheers,

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2023 at 13:59, Michanglais said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but do Hornby still do an annual announcement of new models at the beginning of the year?

I'm hoping desperately for an LNER 'Swallow' liveried 91.

Cheers,

Michael 

Hi Michael,

Yes the new year range is usually announced between the 3rd and possibly the 12th January 2024. There is already a catalogue number for the 2024 catalogue. Which is also edition 70! The seventieth anniversary of the Hornby catalogue. This anniversary was last celebrated in 2004 almost 20 years ago. Where the first dozen several pages took a look back at each catalogue year by year. With a thumbnail image of all 49 catalogues and each years new tooled loco special models etc.  There were also relevant random historic photographs at the bottom of each year The Beatles, a BR APT-P Class 370, Margaret Thatcher, a Sinclair C5 etc. 

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/Hornby-2024-catalogue-of-model-rail-new-releases-r8164/

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

We're not sure what's going to happen this year, an interview with the new marketing manager in the last TT:120 magazine stated that things would change and it wouldn't be as 'big bang' as before, so we shall see.

• Informative/Useful 2

19 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

We're not sure what's going to happen this year, an interview with the new marketing manager in the last TT:120 magazine stated that things would change and it wouldn't be as 'big bang' as before, so we shall see.

Oh apologies! I haven't got around to reading the latest issue as of yet. I made erroneous presumptions based on previous years. The changes are not surprising given Simon leaving Hornby.  How interesting the new take of doing it! Well at least the 2024 catalogue has a barcode, catalogue number and ISBN references. Also it's the 70th edition and the 70th Anniversary of the Hornby catalogue. I did get some of the information correct! 

• Like 1

Oh I forgot to add that 2004 the 50th Anniversary Hornby catalogue for 2004. All of the each individual copies (papercover) were all individually numbered. They were all stamped in the top right hand corner, telling you which copy you had!  And there was also a special BR Black Princess Class locomotive.

limited edition "Princess Elizabeth" locomotive has been produced as it appeared in the 1955 catalogue, liveried in the simple black colour scheme of the original model. 

There was also another special limited edition hardcover 2004 50th Anniversary catalogue.  As seen in the image.

Attached images

© j-humby 2023. All Rights Reserved.

© jezzieboy 2023. All Rights Reserved.

Screenshot_20231213-184957_Gallery(1).jpg

Screenshot_20231213-185342_eBay.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Can anyone confirm please whether the more recent releases of the Class 91 have been modified to improve running? 

The original 3 models that were released tended to be very clunky over pointwork and prone to derailments.

Yes there was a modification to the later ones, although the earlier ones we have run OK on our layout (the 'high speed' outer loop was deliberately built with transition curves and one trailing point so does not present any challenges though)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes also can confirm - had to return my original edition 91 but the latest model runs well.

Out of interest, I emailed Hornby to ask if the original edition could be fixed with the components of the later model but the answer is no. 

The GNER mk4s and 91 can sit on the shop shelf!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

image.png.e998760f33afc85f858b61303ba18db2.pngUnsure if you can see it here but my 91s wheels tend to "float" along my layout at times, which can cause a number of pickup issues...
Any idea on how to fix this? Centre facing wheels of each bogie and only one side will lift up depending on direction...