Hornby Announce a Re-tooled Class 91 for 2020

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

After receiving some GNER DVT's the other day I noticed the lights looked odd.

They have a day/night switch on the underneath of the DVT and the class 91 but as far as I can tell the headlights were just on an ON/OFF switch in the cab, which operated both lights at the same time.

So the only functions the driver could operate on the real train is marker lights on/off, tail lights on/off and Headlights on/off. The only time you should see one headlight is if a bulb has blown.

Does anyone with a more knowledge know if this is correct? It looks like this may have changed to the conventional setup when the LED lights where installed.

Steven

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 50149 said:

As built MK4 DVTs and Class 91s had LH/OFF/RH Headlight switches. This was changed by GNER to a simple ON/OFF switch with both side being lit when on. I can’t remember the exact time frame when this mod was done but 98-99 timeframe springs to mind.

When the WIPAC light units were changed a few years ago they were modified back to Day/Night running positions.

Thanks for the info 50149, I've now fixed mine so they work correctly and made the lights switchable via output 4 on the decoder.. Removing the day night switch from the Class 91 also creates a good spot for a speaker. 

Class 91

PXL_20220906_123017338.jpg.4ced20a6ef9e5fcd577c5b37b34ad3d6.jpg

DVT

PXL_20220906_122918682.jpg.3de381a97c604670c00fbd0ce98a2784.jpg

New CL91 Speaker location.

PXL_20220906_094924700.jpg.6d51e0e49be44c966c0c682549db1b69.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether 91111 and 91118 are meant to have different directional light patterns when running on DC? I would have thought they'd be the same as each other but they aren't (have tested both day and night modes). 

Unfortunately regardless of this it looks like 91118 has a fault with at least one light on the sharp end, as I only have one working red tail light when operating in reverse (blunt end first). 

On 31/08/2022 at 23:27, James90012 said:

Has anyone had any luck sending their 91 off to Hornby and receiving it back with better running?

Hornby were relatively quick to respond to my first email to their customer service portal but I've had nothing now for 3 weeks so I'm stuck with a £200 model that I can't use! Not sure whether to just try and sell on eBay and hope that the new owner has better luck.

Just to update on this, I got through to Hornby and sent the 91 off and received it back within a week which was impressive. A new bogie was fitted. I think there has been a slight improvement, but it still only runs without derailing on one of my four loops so it's still useless. 

Will email Hornby again but if not will just have to eBay it...

• 5 weeks later...
On 09/08/2022 at 19:07, Ncarter2 said:

Has anyone been lucky enough to get an Intercity one without the rubbing?

Ive just had a 6th delivered and the rubbing to the red strip and white in the cab is really bad. 

My first IC attempt was one with no blemish amazingly! Not sure if my retailer TMC did checks pre-despatch?

On 31/08/2022 at 23:27, James90012 said:

Has anyone had any luck sending their 91 off to Hornby and receiving it back with better running?

Hornby were relatively quick to respond to my first email to their customer service portal but I've had nothing now for 3 weeks so I'm stuck with a £200 model that I can't use! Not sure whether to just try and sell on eBay and hope that the new owner has better luck.

I am in discussion with Hornby now, I need to reply back to them.

The current status is they are doing retooling work in China for future releases to apparently resolve the issues. When these parts are available they will have a process of repair for current customers. The suggestion seems to be that if you send your locos of now you will get a half way house fix. If you wait you will have a repair to the same standard as future releases. However they gave no time scale for this!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 02/10/2022 at 10:38, James90012 said:

Just to update on this, I got through to Hornby and sent the 91 off and received it back within a week which was impressive. A new bogie was fitted. I think there has been a slight improvement, but it still only runs without derailing on one of my four loops so it's still useless. 

Will email Hornby again but if not will just have to eBay it...

Given my other posting I am curious on this matter. I am in contact with Hornby regarding a repair on mine (the standard running issues reported by most).

Did they replace just one bogie or both? Is there more pivot movement in the bogie(s) now? Does it still thumb hard through point work or improved?

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, sanspareil said:

The current status is they are doing retooling work in China for future releases to apparently resolve the issues. When these parts are available they will have a process of repair for current customers. The suggestion seems to be that if you send your locos of now you will get a half way house fix. If you wait you will have a repair to the same standard as future releases. However they gave no time scale for this!

Hopefully they will have an option to obtain the parts for those that are confident to do the work themselves. It will be interesting to see what the solution is; essentially the requirement is to allow more lateral play (or pseudo-compensation) across both wheelsets

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sanspareil said:

Let me get this right - they say they are retooling to resolve the issues that they originally said weren’t there??!!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, scouse889 said:

Let me get this right - they say they are retooling to resolve the issues that they originally said weren’t there??!!

Seems so. Awaiting replacement (redesigned) parts is what they told me. That's going to be bogies surely, bogies that allow pivot. They will either have to leave the dampers as separate Bachmann style static display fit only or under scale the size to allow clearance i assume.

3 hours ago, sanspareil said:

Given my other posting I am curious on this matter. I am in contact with Hornby regarding a repair on mine (the standard running issues reported by most).

Did they replace just one bogie or both? Is there more pivot movement in the bogie(s) now? Does it still thumb hard through point work or improved?

Thanks.

Hello, both were apparently replaced. It certainly did 'thud' less than before but it was still noticeable. 

Interesting if Hornby are looking at solutions, too little too late though - can guarantee the stock will be sold out by time the loco issue is fixed.

Edited by James90012

Hornby told me today....

Thank you for your email, sadly we are still waiting for the parts to be delivered from our overseas supplier with no confirmed delivery date. If you send me an email in 4 weeks' time.

Edited by sanspareil

Apologies for the poor photos due to the light, but after having stalled my 225 projects when there were worries with the QC on the new Mk.4's, I have decided to start picking up the rolling stock and have continued with work on the 91's accordingly. 

First off the bench is 91119, converted in full from 91002 to current 91/1 standard. Work includes filling in the area above the buffer beam, remodelling the wipers and adding the various new roof details. The yellow front end has been repainted, as has the loco's roof.Thr headlight clusters have also been painted. Decals are from precision labels. I experimented with trying to make the new grilles, but in the end the best option was a decal. The kadees, although inaccurate are fitted to help disguise the huge gap in the valance. I filled this on 91111 but may be reversing the work on that loco;

PXL_20221105_161322913.NIGHT.jpg.fd360d5f3d6463a48672e1e3aa6209ce.jpg

PXL_20221105_161129125.NIGHT.jpg.8b8d4e86a1c909b5fd4dd062b355e5ec.jpg

PXL_20221105_161010094.NIGHT.jpg.56936089ac1b1b4dd5bf6fe8dbd5ec5a.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/04/2022 at 20:41, G-BOAF said:

I'm guessing the decoration on this livery is some sort of transfer (a la the prototype IEP that Hornby did a detailed video on), rather than normal tampo printing. This might explain the finish or the sealing of the finish.

I presume BBMF will be similar, which is a shame (especially as they did it OK on the old tool many years ago)...

But this aside, looks a lovely model. I have BBMF on order and will be getting '31 if and when it is announced (both of which are listed to end up in preservation)

Has the BBMF one arrived? @adb968008has posted some pictures of the Midland Pullman HST over in the 2021 HST range topic one of which also shows the BBMF class 91. If anyone has seen the latest Hornby BBMF one, could they confirm whether it has the transfer finish or normal tampo printing?

1 hour ago, Rhydgaled said:

Has the BBMF one arrived? @adb968008has posted some pictures of the Midland Pullman HST over in the 2021 HST range topic one of which also shows the BBMF class 91. If anyone has seen the latest Hornby BBMF one, could they confirm whether it has the transfer finish or normal tampo printing?

Can you link to the picture?

I believe it is not due until 1Q next year

• RMweb Premium

Two of these are now living in Tokyo. A Japanese friend asked me about a good N gauge model last week, as far as I know the only N gauge option is the old Grafar model which is rather disappointing by modern standards (and Japanese N gauge enthusiasts tend to have high expectations thanks to what they take for granted from Kato, Tomix etc) so I suggested he might want to buy the rather nice Hornby 00 model as a souvenir.... He loves the class 91, interestingly he wasn't happy about them being replaced by the Hitachi made Azuma trains despite being rather proud of the fact Britain has bought a lot of trains from Hitachi,

9 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Can you link to the picture?

I believe it is not due until 1Q next year

I think I linked to the post that contained the picture (along with several others of the Midland Pullman HST) - although the display text (along with preview of the post) that RMWeb has automatically inserted is just the topic title if you click the right part of it you should be taken to the post rather than the start of the topic.

In case it doesn't work for you, the specific image can be found here: https://content-eu.invisioncic.com/y320084/monthly_2022_11/93137870-B321-4789-AC28-0422BCE69923.jpeg.6ce52c7a4750eb4e68d94684a37ddc08.jpeg - remember that is not my picture and I can take zero credit for it.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

I think I linked to the post that contained the picture (along with several others of the Midland Pullman HST) - although the display text (along with preview of the post) that RMWeb has automatically inserted is just the topic title if you click the right part of it you should be taken to the post rather than the start of the topic.

In case it doesn't work for you, the specific image can be found here: https://content-eu.invisioncic.com/y320084/monthly_2022_11/93137870-B321-4789-AC28-0422BCE69923.jpeg.6ce52c7a4750eb4e68d94684a37ddc08.jpeg - remember that is not my picture and I can take zero credit for it.

(Dont worry i’m not prissy about my images, its flattering just to see them useful. If they were worth anything i’d be sitting on an island getting a suntan by now)

The 91 at Warley was the same finish as the “For the Fallen” 91.

Kind of a weird part printed, part transfer.

heres some close ups…

50866BAB-ADF8-455E-A376-A0E248C7F72A.jpeg.0cd78d3fa481669e751570adfc191a8c.jpeg79A1A228-9946-4DB2-80D0-C0CC385CD641.jpeg.e3fa1bf038e6142af45596dd2560731d.jpeg

As you see the silver is a little pixelated, but Silver is a difficult paint and is regularly pixelated.

The RAF logo as you see is lower resolution in looks a transfer to me. I cant imagine the planes are tampo printed either.

my guess its a silver / black spray, with either a transfer or laser spray, sealed with varnish.

25852C6A-8D5E-4892-9A6E-9105C4215D2E.jpeg.f1c45c8082114635a2f029b7b63f6095.jpeg

From viewing distance its fine.

my issue with the 91 isnt the paint (well LNER one was rubbish), but about those unsightly seam lines around the rear light clusters which exist for no reason that I see.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Presumably too late for Hornby to incorporate the changes to 91110 that were made in mid 2022 (mainly it seems the addition of a white cab roof, red buffer beams, and the removal of the pink in favour of a grey line which in my opinion looks more classy and turns her into an LNER rather than East Coast Trains loco which was the origin of the BBMF livery).

latest livery shown here:

91110 Sandy

91110 Battle of Britain leads 1D21 to Leeds into Doncaster 2/11/22

91110 'Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight'

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Presumably too late for Hornby to incorporate the changes to 91110 that were made in mid 2022 (mainly it seems the addition of a white cab roof, red buffer beams, and the removal of the pink in favour of a grey line which in my opinion looks more classy and turns her into an LNER rather than East Coast Trains loco which was the origin of the BBMF livery).

latest livery shown here:

91110 Sandy

91110 Battle of Britain leads 1D21 to Leeds into Doncaster 2/11/22

91110 'Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight'

(Helmet on.) Sometimes I despair of designers. I wonder which one had the silly idea of cutting the tails off the aeroplanes.

On 09/01/2023 at 01:09, G-BOAF said:

Don't know if it's just what I'm used to, but for some reason I think I like the version with the East Coast purple stripe better than the LNER grey one although it's still a great livery.

On 09/01/2023 at 11:28, jonnyuk said:

how smart do they look, bloody gorgeous. I assume its too late for Hornby, they must be p*ssed with the livery change

According to the Hornby website R30166 is a VTEC class 91, so the livery change on the real thing is irrelevant since it wasn't advertised as LNER livery. I know 91111 gained a little 'Virgin' logo when the franchise passed from East Coast to VTEC, but I'm not aware of what (if any) changes were made to the livery of 91110 by VTEC ('11 had an 'East Coast' logo for Virgin to replace, but '10 did not).

15 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

On further thoughts, I'm guessing that 91[roundel]110 on the roof is not part of the repaint, so quite happy if Hornby are sticking with the original; something different and rather special.

I cannot see the roof logo on the Hornby website illustration (although I'm aware those are normally photoshops, not actual models, and I'm not sure it would be visible from that angle anyway) or the Warley photos adb968008 helpfully posted above. Is that something that had already disappeared by the time East Coast passed to VTEC and therefore exclusive to the version of 91110 that 'Model Rail' commissioned in East Coast livery using Hornby's old tooling?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

According to the Hornby website R30166 is a VTEC class 91

I wouldn't hold too much store by that, Hornby don't seem to know there is a difference between Intercity Executive and the subsequent but closely related Intercity Swallow livery (they invariably refer to the latter as the former), so don't bet they will get any differences between the VTEC and closely related LNER liveries.