Hastings 6L DEMU Build

I'm making progress with a cut'n'shut homage to the Hastings unit but have come to a juddering halt trying to create the two side ventilation panels in 4mm gauge.  All my bits of mesh are too large to be convincing and I have resorted to scaled pictures of my Kernow "Thumper" grills as a stop gap. I have some Shawplan DP45-229SM D Square Mesh bought at Warley, some time back, but his web site just says "Domain name has expired" so cant access the catalogue.  Does any forum member know if Shawplan produce specific etchings for the Hastings 6L or 6B units or failing that any alternative set of grills. The attached pic shows all 10 elements temporarily tacked together to test the general impression.  The two grills are to the rear of the drivers end (R).   Many thanks for any advice - Brian

Hastings 6L DMBSO.jpg

20 hours ago, Deltaskelta said:

I'm making progress with a cut'n'shut homage to the Hastings unit but have come to a juddering halt trying to create the two side ventilation panels in 4mm gauge.  All my bits of mesh are too large to be convincing and I have resorted to scaled pictures of my Kernow "Thumper" grills as a stop gap. I have some Shawplan DP45-229SM D Square Mesh bought at Warley, some time back, but his web site just says "Domain name has expired" so cant access the catalogue.  Does any forum member know if Shawplan produce specific etchings for the Hastings 6L or 6B units or failing that any alternative set of grills. The attached pic shows all 10 elements temporarily tacked together to test the general impression.  The two grills are to the rear of the drivers end (R).   Many thanks for any advice - Brian

Hastings 6L DMBSO.jpg

Try a search for Petrol filter mesh.

Dave

Many thanks for coming back so promptly with the information.  I've  found the petrol filter brass gauze on ebay @ £5.80 and solved the question of obliterating the holes with paint.  Will try to see Shawplan  at Ally Pally and chat, but failing that the Class 40 grill gives me something definite to order by email.    Onward!............

There is a nice Hastings unit for sale at a very nice price:huh:. Love to have it on my layout:rolleyes:. But with that price tag i will just have to dream on.:jester:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-FOX-MODELS-KIT-BUILT-HASTINGS-BR-PLAIN-GREEN-CLASS-202-6-L-DEMU-6-CAR-SET/362848050187?hash=item547b6ddc0b:g:WAoAAOSwpCpd8lEk

Edited by crompton 33

6 minutes ago, crompton 33 said:

There is a very nice Hastings unit for sale at a very nice price. Love to have it on my layout. But with that price tag i will just have to dream on.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-FOX-MODELS-KIT-BUILT-HASTINGS-BR-PLAIN-GREEN-CLASS-202-6-L-DEMU-6-CAR-SET/362848050187?hash=item547b6ddc0b:g:WAoAAOSwpCpd8lEk

Hi,

The photos are a bit fuzzy but the glazing looks a bit too recessed and the trailing bogies don't look right. There is no conduit of the power car roofs, I cant see the exhaust cowling and the fan grill looks the wrong shape. Some joints between the power car ends and the sides are a bit gappy and some inner ends are different colours which I haven't seen before.

Of course DC kits aren't producing most of their range at the moment so I think there is only Worsley works producing ends and sides for the 6L and 6B in OO.

Regards

Nick