Tyteford Halte

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Haven't posted for a while, as if it wasn't a struggle enough to find room to work on a layout, we now need to cram in a home office :unsure:

I have done very little since my last post on the layout apart from experimenting with adding a road crossing. 

I wanted to have a go at modelling a hard asphalt road surface leading up to the crossing (deep gap filler again) and also wood planking (balsa) in between the rails, still work in progress. The other side of the crossing will be wood planking over the point rodding leading onto some concrete hard-standing. I may have the lamp hut on the hard-standing with a couple of oil drums and some clutter.

Here's a progress pic and hope your all keeping safe and well.

All the best

Mark

069.jpg.ce61bf5c0b5207acdd30afa82abc51b1.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Following on from the last post, a little more progress on the road crossing.

The first layer of the hard stand is down and I'll see how it dries then it might need a bit of filling here and there. 

A piece of plasicard represents a sheet of 1/4" steel plate over the point rodding.

070.jpg.e76389cccca5c24d3e96e1180b57339c.jpg

071.jpg.727dcdbb973dc8a3cc0f445a003bc3ce.jpg

072.jpg.358c6959a2ce164c5940f21ed83189c7.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy to report that I have managed to complete the fiddly section of the point rodding in front of the signal box. Cranks now attached permanently with some epoxy resin.

Signal cables next and I have fixed a pulley wheel to the base of the signal, as seen in 3rd pic. The cable will run through the pulley and attach to the lever crank on the signal.

The hard standing is down and I am in the early stages of weathering the surface.

I'm thinking about introducing a cameo scene with a carpenter working on repairing some of the platform fencing with his van (probably an Austin 7) parked up on the hard standing and maybe a trolley or cart with some tins of paint and timber, tools etc. on board. One guy painting the fencing with his mate pulling the trolley along the platform. 

I also managed to locate my old airbrush in the loft while looking for something else, which means I can now go about weathering in the track ballast which needs toning down a bit.

073.jpg..jpg.28c8a40bc72e663e8efd5fcbc5f1fbc6.jpg

074.jpg.95fd08a620e58aabd10fc82c4c59df37.jpg

075.jpg.4cf4ed8384b2e18603ecc8be218e918b.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Hi Mark, thanks for posting this update, it’s reminded me to read back from the beginning of the thread. I thought I’d commented when you posted the neat trick with the fence and the backscene, but either I didn’t press post or it’s later disappeared, either way sorry to have missed a gem until now.

You’ve got a really engaging scene here — the colours and the detailing are superb. Until I read your comment that the board is only 15cm deep I’d never have thought it, there’s so much to draw the eye but the detailing has just the right weight against the overall open scene. The point rodding is astonishing, did you remove the assembly from the board to spray it? The variety of the cranks and the pulley wheels looks very realistic.

There’s something about the simplicity of halts, isn’t there? One of the historical mags had an article recently (a series, I think) entitled ‘for the love of halts’ which featured all manner of wayside oddities. Might be worth having a browse online to see if there’s a copy around anywhere. I’ve always found the fairly rare terminating variety with no additional trackwork to be interesting too. The Torrington bay at Halwill Junction is one of my favourites, although it’s part of a bigger station it’s weirdly offset and looks very much out on its own. Great stuff.

Looking forward to seeing some more as and when.

Adam

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Adam, Many thanks for your great comments which are very much welcomed and appreciated. I am an admirer of your work and was very impressed with the timbering on your 'Priors Dean' platform under your Strong Country thread and your fantastic looking gantry on 'St Mabyn'.

As 'Tyteford Halte' is really just a test track which will double as a diorama when not in use, it lended itself to being simplistic, having just the single track. The trick was to introduce a bit of interest with a combination of scenery, buildings and a couple of cameo scenes to try and bring it to life. I wanted it to be GWR and tried to avoid the normal cliches when modelling the GWR in this era. However, its hard to resist and you have to include something typical to set the scene. I did stop short though by opting for the tunnel mouth instead of the road over bridge, as you know, if I didn't a 1927 Maudslay bus would have appeared on top, so 100% cliche avoided.

Thanks for the heads up on the 'Love of Halts', since found the magazine with a quick google search and looks like its a very interesting feature. I will see if I can bag a copy.

In answer to your question on the point rodding; I painted it, not spray painted, after installing on the layout. The reason for this is that if you paint the brass roddding first when it dries it is likely to stick where it passes through the plastic stools. You need a bit of movement of the brass rods when making fine adjustments to line up with the angle cranks during installation - hope that makes sense. One other point, and if you intend installing point rodding, I would definitely recommend installing it before ballasting.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MAP66 said:

In answer to your question on the point rodding; I painted it, not spray painted, after installing on the layout. The reason for this is that if you paint the brass roddding first when it dries it is likely to stick where it passes through the plastic stools. You need a bit of movement of the brass rods when making fine adjustments to line up with the angle cranks during installation - hope that makes sense. One other point, and if you intend installing point rodding, I would definitely recommend installing it before ballasting.

Glad you found the mag. That certainly makes sense re point rodding, and you can't tell in the photos that it's been brushed rather than sprayed, it looks great. And I agree about build order -- I've seen people digging out ballast to get it placed and it looks laborious! Love the way it disappears under the foot crossing here, very nice.

Adam

Edited by Calidore

• RMweb Premium

Currently I've been looking at ways to extend the small yard into the back-scene to create a bit more depth. Trial and error, more error!!

To try and achieve a pleasing result (this is still very much work in progress) I have added a scratchbuilt low relief store and used ordinary paper to make the transition from the horizontal to the vertical plane by forming a gentle curve up onto the back-scene, this was then covered in a thin coating of diluted fiiler then painted and weathered with powders.

I also intend to use some carefully placed shrubbery to help disguise the obvious low reliefness of the store. The tree in the last pic is just there to represent where the greenery will be, in reality you wouldn't let a tree like that grow right up against a building. A footpath will lead off from the yard behind the signal box leading to the platform.

To complete the scene, I will add an Austin 7 van, belonging to the workman who will eventually be repairing a section of the station fencing, but I need to break it first.

The 4 pics below show progress to date.

076.jpg.8132fd0479edcf927004c6aed8b3335f.jpg

077.jpg.27593ef359aa2b31f11608fa3747fcc6.jpg

078.jpg.17d507864040006099e8c14e3521ea4d.jpg

079.jpg.39f5713c1a9cf5363a5addf2af26a5b7.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, col.stephens said:

I have enjoyed reading this thread.  Great modelling. :good:

Re the low-relief store.  Possibly a reduction in  scale, say 3mm to the foot, might give the impression of it being further away.

Terry

Thanks Terry, ditto with Farleigh - I've really enjoyed following your progress.

I hate to admit it but your right about reducing the scale of the store as it does come across a bit imposing, I'll knock one up in 3mm scale to see how it compares but I need to be careful as it's almost on the same plane as the signal box so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks again

Mark

• RMweb Premium
On 06/04/2020 at 20:42, MAP66 said:

Thanks Terry, ditto with Farleigh - I've really enjoyed following your progress.

I hate to admit it but your right about reducing the scale of the store as it does come across a bit imposing, I'll knock one up in 3mm scale to see how it compares but I need to be careful as it's almost on the same plane as the signal box so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks again

Mark

Well here it is, store version 2 and shrunk down and it does fit in better. I've added doors and a window frame. The fence won't be there when complete as its over-scale. I will use something else instead and some vines growing up the back of the store and then crawling across the roof will help disguise where the roof of the store meets the back-scene.

080.jpg.b4c0fbcdbdc5728afce6676d508f8b88.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Mark I like what you have done modelling the store shed. Looks great thanks for sharing.:good_mini:

Thanks Kevin

I don't mind the sharing, the point is to let others know what I'm up to next, if it works use it and if it doesn't avoid it. I sort of enjoy the experimentation which is what this project is all about.

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Calidore said:

Both versions look good to me Mark, which do you prefer? This is fast becoming a showcase for all sorts of tromp l'oeil trickery! Nice door hinges too.

Adam

Thanks Adam

I'm going to opt for the reduced option, it does blend in better (scale wise) to the trickery which I am trying to achieve.

The door hinges are a bit wonky and I need to straighten them a bit but I appreciate your comments, very encouraging.

All the best 

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Here's one of the characters which will eventually end up on the platform to undertake some emergency repairs on the platform fencing. At the moment, apparently engaged in some virtual sawing. I'm going to make a couple of saw horses and place a few tools around to complete this little cameo scene. Apologies for the poor quality of the images as they are a little blurry due to the magnification. More characters to follow...

All the best

Mark

081.jpg.0771f03641c7fe97ceceddc835d8d0d4.jpg

082.jpg.01fcd1598f56d854e87d9c3bda02b080.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jerry1975 said:

This looks amazing,  might have a go at something similar in N gauge when things get better. 

I really like all the details and the cameo scenes sound good too. 

Jerry. 

Thank Jerry

The N gauge sounds good, even if your struggling a bit at the moment, it won't last forever, so keep a pencil and paper handy to write down all those ideas for when normality is restored.

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Premium
On 10/04/2020 at 15:33, col.stephens said:

Superb work Mark. :good:  Is that ivy beneath the platform?  If so, how did you model that?

Regards,

Terry

Thanks Terry

It is indeed ivy but I can't take credit for it. The ivy is made by Mininatur, a number of model railway stockists will carry their product ranges if you a carry out a quick internet search.

It comes in a blister pack and you gently tease out and cut away as much as you need and then stick it in place, looks good covering walls and climbing up trees etc.

Here is a more clearer pic of under the platform showing the ivy.

All the best

Mark

083.jpg.2a45311323d215be4ae836eb97a37b95.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, MAP66 said:

Thanks Terry

It is indeed ivy but I can't take credit for it. The ivy is made by Mininatur, a number of model railway stockists will carry their product ranges if you a carry out a quick internet search.

It comes in a blister pack and you gently tease out and cut away as much as you need and then stick it in place, looks good covering walls and climbing up trees etc.

Here is a more clearer pic of under the platform showing the ivy.

All the best

Mark

20200410_160342.jpg

Very interesting, I could do with some ivy

Looks great

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Calidore said:

Great cameo idea Mark. Someone really ought to tell that chap not to stand on nails like that though.

Adam

Thanks Adam and don't worry I'll have a word with him about his work practices, which he has obviously picked up from me. Tool box is on the way to keep those sharp nails in. :laugh_mini:

• RMweb Premium

I had a go a making a couple of saw horses for the carpenter which didn't turn out too well. You certainly wouldn't say a carpenter had made them. Looked more like 3 legged saw donkeys.

I'll have as second attempt later, Although I do try and commit and get a scene or an area completed before starting on another, I have a short attention span and get bored if something doesn't work out, so I get around this by working on something else and then coming back to it later.

I am now currently looking at the first lot of vines covering the small store. There made of twisted copper wire, sprayed brown and then sprayed with glue and various shades of green scatter.

You have to be very careful when handling them after adding the scatter as it comes off very easily, so allow to dry first and then give it the normal hairspray treatment which helps a bit.

I think the window would look better broken with some vines entering the store. I need a few more vines hanging down the front of the store from the roof either side of the door. Then it will be back to blending that yard surface into the back-scene. But that probably won't work first time, so more than likely that the carpenter will get his saw horses first.

Here's the  first couple of pics, showing the vines. 

084.jpg.dd96f185db81187d102ea4140af436d4.jpg

085.jpg.849afeb930c81fa318446cb6daae4fcc.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks, a mishap to report tonight, the fellow sitting on the platform seat, (below is a reminder of what he looked like) got sucked up the hoover. Typically, the hoover bag was completely full and after spending a good hour going through all the bag contents, I am sad to report it was to no avail, he was nowhere to be seen. B*gger, I'm a bit gutted about it, well it will teach me to be more careful with Henry the hoover in future when sucking up debris on the layout.

055.jpg.1d9ca1c3c3848e9470c36d60dce958a6.jpg

I have done a little bit more on the yard by adding a fence made out of paper and putting in the footpath to rear of the signal box which now requires painting in.

From the photo's it looks like the yard has bit more depth to it now but still more work to do to complete the illusion.

086.jpg.2f3a061368f896ec6e6c285b61724a76.jpg

087.jpg.33a2214b8dc3c36565dede494d27c6ec.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Done a bit more on the yard areas and left hand retaining wall of tunnel mouth. I have made a start with the ground cover by adding a bit of clump foliage here and there and then 2, 4 & 6mm static grass in various colours. Also a couple of sprigs of sea foam covered in scatter are tucked in behind the angled retaining wall with one of my vines wrapped around the retaining wall end pillar, many more of those to be added later. I'm doing a little at a time and then walking away from it. I think sometimes you can go in too fast, without stopping to stand back and take a critical look every now and again.

Pics below show the first stages of the undergrowth.

088.jpg.2a64e8d9bdef7e8f40e45f4045cc5e71.jpg

089.jpg.939abe3e36f2cf86881761762f5e9226.jpg

090.jpg.bdc4536fdf3a0b4bd1a20d9d47df8453.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 9