K1 62005 in late BR service - speedometer bracket?

MarkC

I'm just putting the finishing touches to my Nucast K1, and intend completing her as she ran with the K4 on the Moors Explorer on 6th March 1965. However, although I've seen some great photos of her, I can't remember if she had the speedometer bracket fitted at that time.Can anyone confirm/deny that please? Any photos of that working would also be appreciated - I have the K4 to do in due course :)

Many thanks

Mark

The speedo on K1as built was driven from the trailing wheelset via a linkage to generator fitted on a bracket just below the cab on the drivers side. This device was similar to the speedo drive generators fitted to 350 shunters which are nothing like the generator currently fitted. The only clear photo if have found of 62005 doesn't really show the bracket as it hidden by a turntable hand rail. Most K1s appear to have the bracket but on the photos the linkage is not clearly visible. I suspect 62005 didn't actually have a speedo fitted until it passed into preservation and recertified for mainline use. Hope this helps.

Edited by 45125
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 45125 said:

The speedo on K1as built was driven from the trailing wheelset via a linkage to generator fitted on a bracket just below the cab on the drivers side. This device was similar to the speedo drive generators fitted to 350 shunters which are nothing like the generator currently fitted. The only clear photo if have found of 62005 doesn't really show the bracket as it hidden by a turntable hand rail. Most K1s appear to have the bracket but on the photos the linkage is not clearly visible. I suspect 62005 didn't actually have a speedo fitted until it passed into preservation and rectified for mainline use. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that; much appreciated - absent a clear photo, the mystery remains.

Mark

2 hours ago, gordon s said:

There is a note in Yeadons that says the speed indicator was taken off most of the class in the 1950's, as was the driving link, but on the majority the bracket was left in place.

Thanks, Gordon - I haven't got my copy of Yeadon with me - but we still don't know for certain. There are lots of photos of 62005, but none pointing towards the area in question that clearly show it :(

Mark

I didn't see a pic of 62005 in Yeadons, so not a lot of help. Several others feature 62002, 62003, 62004, 62006 and 62007. It says that 62002 and 62007 had the bracket removed.

More info says when new they were fitted with the B.T.H. speed indicator, driven off the left hand trailing crank, with the bracket attached to the running plate. There's pic of 62015 with it all fitted.

Edited by gordon s
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

I didn't see a pic of 62005 in Yeadons, so not a lot of help. Several others feature 62002, 62003, 62004, 62006 and 62007. It says that 62002 and 62007 had the bracket removed.

More info says when new they were fitted with the B.T.H. speed indicator, driven off the left hand trailing crank, with the bracket attached to the running plate. There's pic of 62015 with it all fitted.

Cheers, Gordon. Still not definite, sadly. Willie Y was good, but occasionally there were omissions...

Mark

Answering my own question really...

I found this photo of 62005 running as 62012

62012, Rannoch, October 2002

The bracket is clearly visible, so it's probably fair to conclude that it was there on 6/3/65...

except that, in light of the photos posted below - it wasn't!

Thanks all.

Mark

Edited by MarkC
New information received!