Chitton Sidings - Modern Image Micro Layout

Trainsrgr8

Evening all.

Some of you may remember my first micro layout effort "Chitton Sidings" which comprimises of 2 boxfiles, one scenic and a fiddle yard. This project was a great success in my eyes as it developed my moddeling skills immensly. Over the past year i have been concentrating on Dearnford Junction, my main layout and working on the scenics side of that. However, recently i have come up against "modellers block" - If there is such a thing :P

I have therefore decided that i shall hold off full completion of Dearnford for a while as there are many area of it which still require heavy work and concentrate my efforts on something completely different.. extending Chitton. This idea has been on the cards for a few months now, and i have allways said to myself i would do it once Dearnford was completed... but this is a long time off and i'm itching to get started! :) Thus Chitton is reborn....

The extension will give the layout alot more operational interest than it currently has and will use only 2 points. I have included a small branch line terminus where units such as Northern 142's and the odd Arriva 150/153 will terminate from a handful of locations across the north west of england. Below is a trackplan i have drawn up of how i see th extension looking....

TrackPlan-1.jpg

The scenic area will fit into 4 boxfiles in total, utilising the initial scenic boxfile (although this will be heavily rebuilt as trackwork needs to be changed ever so slightly). Thiss file will attatch to a set of 3, perminantly fixed together which will have a crossover from the goods only line into the headshunt and a small branchline terminus. The fiddle yard will be extended from 1 to 2 boxfiles in length to cope with DMU's and slightly longer trains. The theme of a small wagon repair yard will still be kept.

This trackplan will allow me to carry out a number of movements which will provide me with more interest and make the layout suitable for exibitons if i can get it up to sctratch. Some of these include, DMU's coming too and fro from the fiddle yard terminating with services at the station before working back to their destination (off scene). More complicated freight moves would include...

Wagon repair train enters the layout on the line beind the station and is held at the ground signal whilst the driver is briefed by the shunter on the next moves. The loco will then uncouple from its train and cross over into the headshunt, alongside the shed. Then the driver will change ends before running light engine to the stabling siding (off scene) or to a nearby TMD via the station. Then the shunter will appear from the stabling sidng and shunt the wagons into the shed and headshunt. This too and fro movemnt will cntinue untill a train is ready to be marshalled. The wagons will be shunted onto the freight loop (behind station) where a loco will arrive to pick ip the train to take it to it's destination.

Chitton is set in the North West of England.. between Chester and Warrington. It is at the end of a fictional branch line which ends up at a triangle junction between Frodsham and Runcorn East stations, meaning trains can take either direction along the line. Wagon repair trains then may come from the Crewe area (after running round at Chester) or from Arpley.

LayoutLocation.jpg

(appologies if writing is a bit faint, it was hand drawn)

So that is that really, the new layout will feature working signals and lights over the station platform. I am not sure how long this project will take me, but i belive it will be something different from the work i have been doing so much of on Dearnford.

And some pictures of the current scenic boxfile....

09006couplestoanMHAedit1.jpg

37229arrivesforstablingedit1.jpg

MHAandMEAawaitattention.jpg

Opinions and ideas much appreciated

Danny :)

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the kind comments! My Camera is just a simple Samsung S1065 10 megapixel compact. Mainly used when i take trips out photting real trains as it can do both images and videos to a reasonable degree of quality, but can also be used to get some good phots of smaller trains if the right lightings etc is applied!

Danny

Archived