AnyRail won't load

DCB

Hoping someone can help.   My main computer is an Acer V5 Notebook which has run AnyRail for years on windows 10.

Quite suddenly it has become difficult and then impossible to load.  You click on the shortcut, blue lettering Anyrail version 6, something appears floating over thedesk top and then after about 10 seconds it disappears.  The icon is on the taskbar but it has not loaded.

Its infuriating.  Currently I am trying to down load an older version.    My older Acer runs XP and has Anyrail 5 I think and it runs fine, its just that the old laptop has a broken case and no cooling fan anymore so its not a great piece of kit to use.

Any suggestions re the ghostly half loading greatfully received.

Screenshot (193).png

Edited by DavidCBroad

Hi David,

First thing. Back up your work. Then check its backed up.

Try running AnyRail as an administrator - right click on the AnyRail icon and the option should be in the list. This will give the application a few extra permissions to write files.

Uninstall AnyRail - Go find the email with the licence and registration details, you'll need that later. Go to the start menu and type uninstall - you should see and option for 'add or remove programs'. Select this and use it to remove AnyRail from your machine. This should get rid of anything to do with the AnyRail aplicaiton on the computer drive. Feel free, if you are comfortable, to check "C:\Program Files (x86)" for an AnyRail folder and delete it.

Then reinstall the program. AnyRail is currently on Version 6.2xxx.

See if that helps.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps AnyRail's window position has just got messed up?

Try this: After running it, click on the icon (to make sure it's got keyboard focus), then type Alt+Space, then hit X.

If the window was hiding somewhere that should make it visible by maximising it.

• Thanks 1

Anyrail have released 2 or 3 updates in recent times. I was sent a file to look at a few weeks ago and it wouldn't open because my version was too old.

Checked then updated it to latest at that time 6.26.1; just checked now and it pushed thru another update, this time to v6.27.0 which seems to be working fine.

As others suggested, sometimes easiest is to uninstall / reinstall to remove potential conflicts.

Colin

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

You click on the shortcut, blue lettering Anyrail version 6, something appears floating over thedesk top and then after about 10 seconds it disappears.  The icon is on the taskbar but it has not loaded.

Could you have been using a 2nd monitor that last time you used AnyRail, and your laptop has positioned AnyRail on the extended screen thinking that the 2nd monitor is still attached?

If it is on the Taskbar, then:

• Hover (don't click) the mouse over the icon on the taskbar
  • When the thumbnail appears again hover the cursor on the thumbnail
  • Then Right-Click on the thumbnail
  • Select the 'MOVE' command and the errant window will now be positioned where your cursor is.
  • Move the programme to your laptop screen.

Hope this is the solution for you.

• Thanks 1

I have re loaded AnyRail a couple of times with no improvement but succeeded in loading the old unsupported AnyRail 5 so I will use that for the forseeable.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I happened to be looking through the FAQs on Anyrail's website last night (as you do), and noticed that there is a suggestion to hold down the Shift key and then try launching the program.

Apparently it forces the program to reset itself and then it should launch. It probably makes the program wipe its internal cache.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1