Removing R2R lettering and numbers from vent vans

• RMweb Gold

I normally use T-Cut.  This leaves a polished area where you've removed the lettering BUT this is what you need for bedding in transfers.  When transfer are dry spray with matt varnis (I normally used Testors Dullcote or Army Painter matt spray).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Dampen what's to go with white spirit, give it 30 seconds and it will just come away. Great feature of their product, it's effectively unnumbered/unlettered thanks to this.

Indeed, using an initial  wash of thinned paint for weathering is very good at removing Bachman's printing.

If you've got some enamel thinners lying it works fine.

Andy

• Informative/Useful 1

Guest Half-full
16 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

Hi, I want to re-number and purpose some vent vans, what is the best way to remove the existing numbers and letters ready for new transfers please?

There are a lot of threads on here asking the same thing, and there are a lot of methods from T-Cut to toothpick.  Depends on what you are comfortable with, and the make of model you wish to change identity of.

A gloss surface is essential for any new decals.

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/02/2020 at 21:11, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Dampen what's to go with white spirit, give it 30 seconds and it will just come away. Great feature of their product, it's effectively unnumbered/unlettered thanks to this.

Probably doing it wrong but it's not working for me just now, the brown of the wagon body is on the Q tip but the number are staying put?

52 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Probably doing it wrong but it's not working for me just now, the brown of the wagon body is on the Q tip but the number are staying put?

There's always the possibility that their print formulation has changed. What precise Bachmann vans are these? The last I have had a go at were their LNER vans bought 8 or 9 years past. Not needed to do anything to their wagons obtained since, as these are all onesy-twosey purchases and they provide enough variety as sold. 

Experience from others welcome...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

There's always the possibility that their print formulation has changed. What precise Bachmann vans are these? The last I have had a go at were their LNER vans bought 8 or 9 years past. Not needed to do anything to their wagons obtained since, as these are all onesy-twosey purchases and they provide enough variety as sold. 

Experience from others welcome...

Hi OK thanks, I used IPA on a Q tip and it came off ok with no real loss of background colour :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikesndbs said:

Cool so the old numbers are off, but the area they were in looks polished, guess the transfers will hide it?

What you need to do is to apply the transfers first and then apply (by airbrush or aerosol) a coat or two of matte varnish over the whole of the part of the model that is of the same colour as and contiguous with the polished area.

Some transfers may additionally benefit from gloss varnish being applied to the area in question before the application of the transfers in order to reduce the possibility of the backing paper showing. I find that this is generally not necessary with Railtec or Fox transfers, but some other transfers that use thicker paper will show the backing more readily without a gloss varnish. Such a varnish should be left to dry before applying the transfers.