Something industrial in a 1100 x 220mm? Inspiration please...

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, 

Have gone and purchased a Scale Model Scenery BB017 Baseboard which will measure 1102 x 221 (https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/bb017-micro-layout-baseboard-in-a-box-1-1102-x-250-x-221mm-7891-p.asp) and I'm looking for something that's industrial to model (in OO) in the space that looks vaguely realistic / plausible... There'll be a fiddle stick on the end too so the layout can fill the baseboard without needing an on scene head shunt... 

Not fussed particularly what the industry is, operational interest is important, so tempted with 3-2-2 Inglenook BUT can't dream up and ideas where it'd look like it might be a real location without resorting to hallucinogens... 

Has anyone any thoughts on? Really stuck for inspiration and terrible at decisions! 

Thanks
Ralf

Edited by Ralf

• RMweb Gold
On 25/03/2020 at 16:06, RexAshton said:

This is quite a nice idea in Barry Norman's layout design book.

It is indeed, have finally found it on NLS maps too! Didn't help the plan above has been reversed to the other side of the viaduct nor that it's been gone a long while by the looks of it. 

Off to find some prototype information... Especially keen on the scrapyard years if anyone has any pointers! Indeed where better to look than the prototype questions corner of RMWeb - link for future referance - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/152791-wellington-road-goods-depot-stockport-and-scrap-yard/

Ta

Ralf

Edited by Ralf

If you don’t mind using an existing layout as a starting point there’s Arun Quay. The original is in O scale and would shrink quite close to your dimensions if modelled in 00.

Cheers,

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, davknigh said:

If you don’t mind using an existing layout as a starting point there’s Arun Quay. The original is in O scale and would shrink quite close to your dimensions if modelled in 00.

Thanks David, went shopping for a back issue of MRJ 258 and ended up spending £72 at Book Law - 3 books also slipped into my basket that I was after anyway! 

Ralf

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, RexAshton said:

Some interesting photos of the building here

Thanks Rex, not sure that's the building but a local LNWR one? Unless I'm looking at the wrong photos? 

Thanks
Ralf

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2020 at 14:07, davknigh said:

Oooooh having just received MRJ 258 I'm very impressed and yes it'd scale to 1200mm x 280mm so I'm sure with some Templot-ing I will be able to squeeze it in, and probably give it an E Anglian flavour.... 

Many thanks

Ralf