Jump to content

charliepetty

Class 142 Provincial

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The models we are planning are in keeping with the quality we have done before, re the 143, 144 & 156 Early & 156 Current.

 

There are two production runs of the BREL/Leyland Class 142.

 

These are:

142/0 (142001 - 142050) with the standard Leyland Bus roof  with the 10 Ribbed Roof.

142/1 (142051 - 122094) With the modified stronger BREL Roof with 3 Ribbs

 

The Class 142's were introduced with 4 Leaf Leyland Bus Doors which proved too feeble in traffic when passed by fast trains as the turbulance forced open these doors, this making the brakes apply.  All Units were rebuilt with Standard 2 Leaf doors (As per 142/144s) during the 1990's.

 

Class 142-0 Roof 2.jpg

142062 Provincial Roof.jpg

142010 Old Doors.jpg

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other minor point to  note is that until well into the privatisation era only the drivers side headlight worked the other one was merely a dummy although when built they did have bulbs fitted. 

Good old BL waste of money.

The doors were modified about the same time as the gearbox was changed to the voith type so any sound chip for the type with the original doors would probably have to be a modified 141 one as the sound was very different with the original gearbox,  having said that the Leyland engines also sound completely different to the current ones 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

The models we are planning are in keeping with the quality we have done before, re the 143, 144 & 156 Early & 156 Current.

 

There are two production runs of the BREL/Leyland Class 142.

 

These are:

142/0 (142001 - 142050) with the standard Leyland Bus roof  with the 10 Ribbed Roof.

142/1 (142051 - 122094) With the modified stronger BREL Roof with 3 Ribbs

 

The Class 142's were introduced with 4 Leaf Leyland Bus Doors which proved too feeble in traffic when passed by fast trains as the turbulance forced open these doors, this making the brakes apply.  All Units were alterns to Standard 2 Leaf doors during the 1990's.

 

Class 142-0 Roof 2.jpg

142062 Provincial Roof.jpg

142010 Old Doors.jpg

 

Unit RT142-101  Will be 142061 In Provincial Livery, Destinations are Manchester Victoria-Colne

This will have the Newton Heath Depot logo NH + Pendle Witch as seen in the photos attached. These are under the Drivers Window & on the Cab Front.

142061 Provincial.jpg

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/04/2020 at 06:50, charliepetty said:

Newton Heath Witch Sticker.jpg

Hi Charlie,

 

That is great news and I will be after one for sure.

 

Out of interest I have always wondered what is the Longsight depot bird logo?

 

It looks like a bird of prey, an eagle perhaps but what kind of bird is it and what is the significance to Longsight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jim76 said:

 

 

It looks like a bird of prey, an eagle perhaps but what kind of bird is it and what is the significance to Longsight?

 

Birds of prey are long-sighted.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have the destination blinds planned for them Charlie? 

 

Any chance one of them is a Colne to Blackpool south? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Provincial.

 

Due to feed back from RM Web these should be:

 

Barrow - Manchester Victoria

Carlisle - Middlesborough

Hull - Sheffield

142-0 Cad Drawings.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Charlie mentioned originally Colne to Victoria but I cannot ever see such a service running between 1986 and 1992. Have the BR all route timetables for these years and there are lots of Victoria to Blackburn as well as Rochdale to Blackburn via Victoria (long before the current Clitheroe service started) but cannot find a Colne service. Maybe it was a relief working?

 

Having spent much time at Manchester Victoria in the late 80's I recall the destination blinds simply read on some if not all units of that era 'Man Vic'

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been modified to:   Barrow to Manchester Victoria.

 

Charlie

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice! (in its own way!)

I would like to say that there is a element of  90's nostalgia creeping in, but even now the memories of turning up on platform 3 at Sheffield Midland for the pre-departure stuff and realising I was taking a 142 from Sheffield to Hull and back (vice the more  usual 156) are a bit fresh in the mind :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the late 1980s there was a morning Colne - Manchester Victoria (0920 as I recall) and a return in the afternoon arriving back around 1530.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/04/2020 at 19:34, cs233 said:

I know Charlie mentioned originally Colne to Victoria but I cannot ever see such a service running between 1986 and 1992. Have the BR all route timetables for these years and there are lots of Victoria to Blackburn as well as Rochdale to Blackburn via Victoria (long before the current Clitheroe service started) but cannot find a Colne service. Maybe it was a relief working?

 

Having spent much time at Manchester Victoria in the late 80's I recall the destination blinds simply read on some if not all units of that era 'Man Vic'

 

 

Colne to Blackpool south

Ian_B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, charliepetty said:

This has been modified to:   Barrow to Manchester Victoria.

 

Charlie

Excellent choice Charlie, perfect for Plumpton and covers a lot of the North West on that journey.

 

Still preferred a 31 and mark 2’s back

in the day lol!

 

cheers

Mark

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.