North Eastern Railway No.2269

I've recently found a photo of this engine on flickr. I've been trying to find any information about but I'm coming up with nothing helpful so far. Apparently it might be linked with the Londonderry Railway, naturally you can guess what happens when I type that into google. If anyone could find any info I'd greatly appreciate it.

nyks - ner 2-4-0t 2269 scarborough

Photo from John Law @ flickr

Edited by The-Station-Pilot
  • Like 2

I can't pin it down definitively – the NER is not my speciality – but it is carrying a 1900 Duplicate list number. The Londonderry Rly had about 3 2-4-0Ts for local services around Seaham. Could this be one of them?

The Londonderry Railway (Londonderry Seaham & Sunderland Railway) was taken over by the North Eastern in 1900, with three locomotives taken into NER capital stock and a further ten numbered into the duplicate series (2267-2276), said to have been scrapped or sold on within a few years.

No. 2269 started out as a 2-4-0 tender engine, built by Robert Stephenson (works number 1075 of 1856), becoming LS&SR no. 8.  It was rebuilt as a tank loco at Seaham in 1878.  Placed by the NER on the duplicate list as no. 2269, it is recorded as being “replaced” in 1920.

According to the Flickr site, the photo was taken at Scarborough.

Edited by EddieB
Loco history added.
  • Informative/Useful 2

I reached for my copy of Illustrated History of NER locomotives by Ken Hoole as a first port of call. He included a photograph of a Londonderry tank (out of interest) which is number 1113 at North Blyth shed. It is not yours in your photograph but looks very similar in appearance with that distinctive dome and cab with very square side tanks. He comments in the caption that 1113 was built by Londonderry company at its Seaham Harbour Engine Works in 18889 and originally numbered 2. He states it was one of three of this wheel arrangement used on the Londonderry passenger services between Seaham and Sunderland.