Gaugemaster Wireless System

ronnie thommo

Hi Folks

I have a Gaugemaster Prodigy 2 controller which I would like to make wireless

Can I do this by just buying the dongle, or do I have to buy a wireless adapted handset as well ?

I notice you can get an upgrade kit to make it wireless, which includes another handset, but they are quite expensive, just wondered if my original handset will work with the dongle

Cheers

Ronnie

• RMweb Gold

I have a Prodigy Advance 2, and added the DCC05 wife unit (just over £100, I recall). Not sure if that’s what you meant by Dongle?

the handset remains a wired connection back to the base unit. But for the overall control, I can use my tablet/ smart phone with the app WiThrottle which is of course wirelessly linked. Easy to set up and effective control of locos, but as far as I have been able to work out, if you wish to control points (as accessories), you first need to set them up in JMRI (Free download on pc), in order that WiThrottle can see them. 

There is no dongle available to convert the tethered handset into a wireless handset.

The wireless conversion set includes a new, wireless handset and if you add this to your system, your original throttle can be retained as an additional tethered handset.

A cheaper route to “wireless” with the Prodigy system, is to buy the WiFi module.

This just plugs in to the base unit like another handset and allows you to use a smartphone or tablet (e.g. iPad) as a your wireless throttle.

Proprietary wireless DCC systems and handsets have always been a relatively expensive option.

WiFi provides wireless capability at a much reduced cost.

Thank you gentleman, it’s as I thought.

ITG, by a dongle, I just meant a wireless connector instead of the usual lead.

You have both quoted the DCC05. I must admit I never considered that, but that’s a cheaper way of doing it as you say Ron, thanks

Cheers

Ronnie