Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It would be an interesting project trying to model the ruined building dead centre right on the bottom edge of the picture.

I like the drunken telegraph poles too and is that on of the BR style concrete privys leaning over in the brambles to the right rear of that neat cream coloured shed?

That ruined building I’ve made in its intact form at the moment but I do see the appeal of making it dilapidated. This was still in one piece in the late 50’s and on this photo a couple of structures have changed. The privy that you pointed out was the location of a grounded brake van body which I suspect fell into ruin. The concrete hut on the right also replaced a far more ‘fancy’ wooden and glass structure and there was a short period both existed. 
This photo shows Middleton Top towards the end of its days and as tempting as it is to try and capture it at this point I want to run NLR tanks so it’ll be the 50’s for me. 

Jay

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant stuff from a regular user of the High Peak Trail. I have cycled up the inclines many times, normally on bottom cog and zig zagging my way up. I’m quite fascinated by the old and current industry around the place.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 97406 said:

Brilliant stuff from a regular user of the High Peak Trail. I have cycled up the inclines many times, normally on bottom cog and zig zagging my way up. I’m quite fascinated by the old and current industry around the place.

Aye, it’s a lovely place and I feel

very lucky to live just down the road. Derbyshire County Council

are to be commended for jumping on Cromford, Middleton and the trackbed so quickly after closure and preserving it all. 
Well done on cycling up those inclines - Cromford to Sheep Pasture is a bloomin’ killer!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2021 at 15:17, JustinDean said:

Aye, it’s a lovely place and I feel

very lucky to live just down the road. Derbyshire County Council

are to be commended for jumping on Cromford, Middleton and the trackbed so quickly after closure and preserving it all. 
Well done on cycling up those inclines - Cromford to Sheep Pasture is a bloomin’ killer!

Those inclines are a lot more fun to go down! There's a couple of ways to connect with the Monsall Trail, and I've checked out the White Peak Loop work at the northern end, but there's a couple of missing links, the worst bit being having to use the A6 out of Buxton. However there is a short cut to Mill Dale on the Pennine Bridleway (High Stool Lane) which is along a ridge so lovely views to both sides.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On a break with my partner and came across Hay Incline by chance 5 minutes walk from our hotel. Used to link the end of the canal in Coalport, at the bottom of the Severn valley to the other canal end up the hill the similarities to the C&HPR are very apparent!

EFE11980-AB22-432B-91BF-69F224CC2FC0.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Pretty much zero modelling done in the last two weeks as I’ve been building a recording studio shed for a mate in my spare time. I know there’s a few shed lovers on here so just popping a work in progress here!

A999166B-50AD-41B2-ADAE-BB2339034180.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally managed to grab some time for modelling for the first time in a month. I’ve started making the coal loading dock and could do with some advice. My knowledge of colour palette and painting technique is limited so I’m wondering what is the best way of achieving realistic stone?

Thanks in advance!

285C11CC-D936-4B7A-95C7-F36C6CAE13C7.jpeg

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I don't mean to be unhelpful, but I think you need to start wih a photograph of the real thing.

I think you may have posted at the same time as I put the prototype photo up Mick!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

Finally managed to grab some time for modelling for the first time in a month. I’ve started making the coal loading dock and could do with some advice. My knowledge of colour palette and painting technique is limited so I’m wondering what is the best way of achieving realistic stone?

Thanks in advance!

285C11CC-D936-4B7A-95C7-F36C6CAE13C7.jpeg

I would start with a base coat of Humbrol 63 Matt Sand, let it dry and then add dilute washes of Humbrol 91 Black Green until you are happy, letting each dry for a while in between. You will find that it will darken as it dries, so don't do too much at once.

Here's an example using those paints:

tunnel-portal314.jpg.69ac2a69dfd6f0f79ad61219d1aa9c45.jpg

Al.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Alister_G said:

I would start with a base coat of Humbrol 63 Matt Sand, let it dry and then add dilute washes of Humbrol 91 Black Green until you are happy, letting each dry for a while in between. You will find that it will darken as it dries, so don't do too much at once.

Here's an example using those paints:

tunnel-portal314.jpg.69ac2a69dfd6f0f79ad61219d1aa9c45.jpg

Al.

Fantastic- thanks Al!

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Hi Jay,

Just realised I actually built a cattle dock for Bakewell which was painted in exactly the way described above, here's what it looked like:

ongoing-cattle-pens016.jpg.d556eb3861e453411dfccb817c83ecdd.jpg

Al.

Lovely stuff Al!

I’ll be giving this a go early next week so results will be posted. I was distracted by painting the quarry buildings last night - want to throw my hat into the ring on the Shed Thread!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Lovely stuff Al!

I’ll be giving this a go early next week so results will be posted. I was distracted by painting the quarry buildings last night - want to throw my hat into the ring on the Shed Thread!

Looking forward to seeing your hat, Jay.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1