Albion Wharf

John of York61

Time to step up from P4. I realised in moving my old exhibition layout "Albion Street" (BRM Sep 97) to a friend's house that it was fun to operate and look at. I am therefore making something similar in 7mm (and the same size too!) 7' 6" by 2 foot-ish. The old "Albion Street" was a nod to 'Butley Mills' by Iain Rice with buildings from the York area (home!). The new one has a nod to Gordon Gravett; "Arun Quay" is a great idea and I wanted something to combine two interests: fine scale modelling and architecture. My 'day job' (unpaid) is Chairman of the Yorkshire Architectural & York Archaeological Society (YAYAS) and I have access to images of lots of lost York Buildings.

So, here goes.......

sketch009.jpg

100_3212.JPG

100_3213.JPG

100_3235.JPG

100_3237.JPG

100_3239.JPG

100_3046.JPG

100_3066.JPG

Edited by John of York61
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

19 hours ago, sb67 said:

Look forward to this project. A fine start so far, I like the look of the plan, do you intend to run TOPS BR Blue on it? 

Yes Steve; circa 1976-77...I wonder if Corgi (Vanguard) will do a 1:43 Triumph Dolomite or suchlike? I did think of a Citroen 2CV as a nod to the Gravetts!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Windjabbers said:

I recall seeing Albion Street at the York show a number of years ago - one of my favourite layouts, so looking forward to seeing this 7mm project.

Best Wishes

David

Thanks, David. Some images of Albion Street in its new home-relaid to 00 and period changed to 1980s. It's at a mate's house in Eggborough and before all this quarantine I was popping down once a week to help. 

IMG_20190726_214611532 small comb.jpg

IMG_20190917_233908583_HDR.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Interested to see how this develops.

I remember reading about Albion Street in an old BRM from 1997 and always thought it a very atmospheric layout. I was wondering what had happened to it and if its builder was still around. Glad to read this thread.

Edited by SD85

Guest Half-full
On 04/05/2020 at 16:03, John of York61 said:

Yes Steve; circa 1976-77...I wonder if Corgi (Vanguard) will do a 1:43 Triumph Dolomite or suchlike? I did think of a Citroen 2CV as a nod to the Gravetts!

Hi John

They did do a Dolomite, either as a police car or a Sprint, not sure if they done a run of the mill one though

HF

The alleyway by the pub will be paved with the (common in York) stable paviours. The wood batten at the far end, part of the sector plate, will have a wall on its surface, so that as the sector plate moves across/away, an alleyway to the right opens up. The styrofoam platform is temporary- it will have a collection of sheds etc on top, to hide the sector plate.

100_3270.JPG

100_2860.JPG

Edited by John of York61
  • Like 9

Did the surface of the lane next to the pub-a sheet of York-style stable paviors glued down with 'Roket' card glue (no buckling!). Started using foam board and mounting card to infill the track. Pity the local art stockist is closed at the moment! The old building in Skeldergate (in reality) was demolished around 1900. I really fancy the timbering with the rebuilt facade in brick. 

2153 skeldergate.JPG

100_3304.JPG

100_3307.JPG

100_3310.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, John of York61 said:

Did the surface of the lane next to the pub-a sheet of York-style stable paviors glued down with 'Roket' card glue (no buckling!). Started using foam board and mounting card to infill the track. Pity the local art stockist is closed at the moment! The old building in Skeldergate (in reality) was demolished around 1900. I really fancy the timbering with the rebuilt facade in brick. 

How are you doing the paviors then John, have you printed them off from your own photograph?

8 hours ago, John of York61 said:

The old building in Skeldergate (in reality) was demolished around 1900. I really fancy the timbering with the rebuilt facade in brick. 

2153 skeldergate.JPG

Wonderfully atmospheric building. I liked the idea of a Lead Sealed Pelican, and wondered what the last word might be. Prosaically it turned out to be Brand. Earle's Cement's logo was a Pelican, and the intriguing bagseals website came up with chapter and verse.

image.jpeg.2c2229ff3ec7a634736cc575d5522ce8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scribed the goods platform edge over two or three nights. DAS with two courses of Slater's brickwork. Speaking of brickwork, the platform buildings (from Trinity Lane in York) are of the usual English Garden wall bond with five rows of stretchers interspersed with a row of  headers. Typical in York from the 1880s/90s. 

100_3332.JPG

100_3330.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...