DJM J94 + Bachmann / Zimo 36-568A decoder

meatloaf

Hi

Got a DJM J94 last week and the above mentioned Bachmann decoder which is a rebadged zimo according to the package.

The J94 when I first got it was a bit of a rubbish runner on DC but with several hours running in its not to bad.

Fitted the decoder and it runs very haphazardly. Random speed ups and slow downs. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for CV changes to improve running? I tried turning off back emf and upping the start voltage but all that's done is make it shoot off in reverse on speed step 1 but it does start slowly going forward.

Also occasionaly it refuses to move at all forwards or backwards. 

Anyone got any suggestions before I send the loco back? The decoder is ok as I swapped it into an 08 using a 6 - 8 pin cable and its fine

I had similar problems when I fitted a DCC decoder to one of my DJM J94's, I had set the decoder to DC running as it was going to see some use on a DC shunting layout, I had all the problems you mentioned,  plus when not selected it would suddenly start of at speed run about 4ft then stop, and then do it randomly, I tried Hattons, Bachmann & Guagemaster decoders, DC running was turned off on the last 2, it was eventually turned off on the first one, it made no difference to the running/behaviour, the blanking plate restored and it is now and will remain DC only.

The decoders were all tested and ran with no problems, 2 of the decoders have been fitted to a pair of Bachmann 03's both have run many hours with no problems.

I have another DJM J94 fitted with a Hattons decoder this one runs perfectly.