Pop Up - building kits

definate maybe

• RMweb Premium

I think you've probably convinced me to keep hold of the kit, Ben Alder. You've shown there are workarounds for the issues.

Still slightly miffed though...  

Edited by Daddyman

15 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Well if you do the same with Ballachulish, let me know and I'll go halves on the cost with YMM as I suspect there'll be a lot of windows to cover.  

Sure, however it will be a week or so before I start looking at the kit properly  - determined to not put off some half done work for a third time!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

As part of my new Scottish GNSR layout i have decided to purchase the Longmorn station kit which arrived speedily on Saturday. To my surprise it came with a note saying they had included an additional card (building) which was the small Highland Cottage. I decided to build this first to ket to know the kits, I had been slightly nervous of the corner details which looked a little crude when researching these buildings so i was interested to see how it scrubbed up following painting. The only addition to the base kit is some strips of thin card cut for the window cills to give a little relief.

I am pleasantly surprised with the joint a lot less noticeable after a first base coat of grey and then less visible again after some simple minor applications of polyfilla from a tube.

Below are some photo's, the first 3 after the base grey and then some buff dry brushed, the last 3 after another couple of shades of dry brushing various tan/brown's and then a middle grey weathering powder.

Quite impressed considering relatively little effort.

IMG_0596.jpeg.4ac61a3cd6b77ee5972d6bc9022084d2.jpeg

IMG_0598.jpeg.f24aaed9929074b1a497d4be7a20d6e6.jpeg

IMG_0599.jpeg.cca91fbbf2168c1df7d7e2e71069782b.jpeg

IMG_0618.jpeg.f948e328bfa1c7ccfa0ead54e2087d50.jpeg

IMG_0620.jpeg.8245a6db8a673579db3048a634f7a985.jpeg

IMG_0619.jpeg.a0afa579228473c814d7888c70eab05b.jpeg

I have also filled the roof slots and scribed tiles so again will see how that goes after painting.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Dear All,

Having followed this thread, when asked  what I wanted for my birthday , I requested the resin engine shed kit. I am mightly impressed and now recuperating from knee surgery , hope to make a start. This will be my first resin kit and will challenge my painting skills. The only aspect of the kit which is less than great are the windows. The resin is rough and will need some fettling. I wondered if I make a mess of this whether the York model making replacement windows for the laser cut version could be used as a replacement. Also I should like to paint it to match the colours of the embossed paper alluded to earlier in the thread. As I have little painting skills,  has anyone done this and if so could you let me know which proprietary colours match. Thank you in anticipation. Ian

Why not use the embossed paper? I haven't seen a resin version - can you post a pic? It should be a replica of the wood one in which case the windows I got done by York will fit. I will measure them up if you want but I got them made to fit the wooden aperture after I removed the astragals and YM made them that size with a frame surround as part of it.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and sorry for my delay in acknowledging it. I had not thought of layering the embossed paper over the already textured resin. That gives me another option . Especially if I paint a section and then need to acknowledge my skills aren't good enough! Also would be easier to match to my planned building of the grand little popup water tank ,using the paper.

I am attaching  photos of the resin engine shed. This is my first resin kit and I am absolutely astounded at the quality, just the windows a bit ragged. I also know now why our American collegues use laser cut kits so  widely. The popup designs may not be quite as fine as the Peco H.R. signal cabin but having done some planning can be made first class. Straight out of the box as good as the Triang water tower I got for my birthday c 1965. I thought that was the bees knees.

Once again thanks for the advice and for the entertainment and knowlege you have given over the years. Ian

• RMweb Premium

That’s good to see the quality of the 3D prints is good. I’ve been thinking about the arch bridge as the card one has a threepenney bit around the wing walls that doesn’t look right ( probably too difficult in card/2d material) and the curved walls is the main standout feature.

Tidying up the leftovers form the two road shed build, I had a spare arched door sheet so rather than waste it I decided to do a single road version. I asked Andy at Pop Up to do a full size roof slate sheet, which was very useful and no doubt can be available to anyone who asks. It started out as a freelance to trial another covering but as I already had the Thurso water tower done it seemed sensible to base it on Thurso. Here it is in part - the overall scene didn't come out well so will be rephotographed tomorrow. As per usual, it is shorter than the prototype and the main windows are not exact copies but the nearest York Modelmaking had to offer - I wasn't going to commission  a set for an aside project. As it was to match the tank I kept the same paper as before and set it as a stand alone set piece. This form of modelling is getting addictive!

IMG_1628.JPG.4d54d88d650f58f8e3d18d2fd15ac32a.JPGIMG_1624.JPG.dc6848e0802e7bebc36d013c435fd74c.JPG

And a shot of it on the bench showing the arrangement - I'll post a finished one soon.

20201015_213558.jpg.a198bd3e3f0bc7d7ec7515d246062b39.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

That is exactly where I was going with my N mock up ideas.  A 2mm version of the paper work would be really good - Redutex at Dcc supplies likely to have something close.  Brilliant work , a case of bits for a small HR later era might have been.  The slates as a sep sheet inspired.  Useful on the signalcabin perhaps.  

Robert 

• RMweb Premium

Indeed it is becoming addictive . I have started the popup water tank. However I have been diverted down two alleys. One, as it will have to tone in with my resin engine shed, is to learn to match the colours to the embossed paper and pluck up courage to mix the shades and paint the shed. All witb no artistic talent whatsoever! Two, is to detail the water tank. To that end , does anyone know of detailed drawings of the outlet arrangement. My searches have revealed a little esp one of the mechanism on amn Australian one . Basically, a large plug on the end of the rod going into the floor of the tank. I have also looked at the exellent model by Mr Tatlow but cannot make out the part going down to the floor of the tank. I have decided to lower the ply roof by a few mm to perhaps allow for resin water. Somewhere I seem to remember a model water tank with a seagull on it. Can not think where. Any pointers as to info would be welcome. Oh and smaller engine shed cameo is grand. Thanks in anticipation Ian

• RMweb Gold

The blockwork looks wonderful but does not seem to be available in N so I have ordered two packs from DCC supplies who stock Redutex self adhesive walling products - those I have had have been really good.  Also I hope to get a couple more pop up engineshed kits to adapt - possibly a thurso style trainshed and loco shed as you have achieved so well. - I have in mind to have a cutaway shed on edge of layout as it seems a shame to hide a loco or a detailed interior - inspired by how Kyle lost its roof. With lockdown leave approaching I hope to have time to cut small bits of ply into scrap! - well try not to.

Robert          

7 hours ago, Ian R. Weeks said:

Indeed it is becoming addictive . I have started the popup water tank. However I have been diverted down two alleys. One, as it will have to tone in with my resin engine shed, is to learn to match the colours to the embossed paper and pluck up courage to mix the shades and paint the shed. All witb no artistic talent whatsoever! Two, is to detail the water tank. To that end , does anyone know of detailed drawings of the outlet arrangement. My searches have revealed a little esp one of the mechanism on amn Australian one . Basically, a large plug on the end of the rod going into the floor of the tank. I have also looked at the exellent model by Mr Tatlow but cannot make out the part going down to the floor of the tank. I have decided to lower the ply roof by a few mm to perhaps allow for resin water. Somewhere I seem to remember a model water tank with a seagull on it. Can not think where. Any pointers as to info would be welcome. Oh and smaller engine shed cameo is grand. Thanks in anticipation Ian

Not sure what part of the outlet you are referring to - anything on the floor of the tank will be invisible - is it the water control on the outside of the tank that regulated the supply? If so there was no set arrangement - with contro;s varying between turn wheels on levers. I can post up pics of one or two of these if that is what you are referring. And if the water supply was via a stand alone column then the tank may well have had no such fittings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. It was initially meant to refer to the actuating apparatus i.e. the wheel at waist height, rod to roof and actuating lever to "down rod and valve in tank. I can guess at linkage and will probably do just that if I cant see a good image to copy. However your post got me thinkibg and  there are 2 holes 1/8 diameter in the side ealls of the kit which puzzled me. I

Am I ight in believing these are for inlet water from perhaps a dam in a glen and outlet water to a stand alone water column. Would love to see more images if not too much trouble. Thanks again Ian

• RMweb Gold

From Barnabas at Open Factory as a 3D print is a lovely example in 2mm of a small Highland Cabin .

This the raw washed arrival , just a little frame cleaning and a bit of work on steps - not shown are the steps but these need handrails - a bit of brass wire and a bit of soldering.  The roof is a separate part   to allow adding frame etc.  Thanks also to Iain Ross for creating and Ben Alder who had more than a hand in research!

It is an ideal addition to the Pop up range and with a little luck, following wind etc a station building not un like Plockton is currently exercising the talent of Iain!   

624071959_Irishclass20.HRcabin121120014.jpg.dd8993fcae6433fbde39e150a555dee7.jpg

Irish, class 20. HR cabin 121120 013.jpg

• Like 4

On 09/11/2020 at 08:52, Ian R. Weeks said:

Thanks for that. It was initially meant to refer to the actuating apparatus i.e. the wheel at waist height, rod to roof and actuating lever to "down rod and valve in tank. I can guess at linkage and will probably do just that if I cant see a good image to copy. However your post got me thinkibg and  there are 2 holes 1/8 diameter in the side ealls of the kit which puzzled me. I

Am I ight in believing these are for inlet water from perhaps a dam in a glen and outlet water to a stand alone water column. Would love to see more images if not too much trouble. Thanks again Ian

AS you might imagine, details of such controls are sadly lacking  and reliant on background detail from photos. Altnabreac, being still extant has been thoroughly photographed and I have plenty of images of its mechanism, but it wasn't a standard HR one - if there ever was. Several tanks had simple levers worked by a chain or rope and that would be simpler to model. Thurso was worked by such a method and my tank model has a representation of that. The two holes on the tank kit are for the supplied water hose but it is too crude and heavy to be fit for much purpose although I carved into something canvas shaped for the Pop Up tank.

Here are some details taken from images, including a real rarity - an interior tank view. I have others, mostly not very clear, but these will give an idea of some arrangements. Can't remember off hand what images Mark showed about Altnabreac  but I can send you some if you wish to copy that one.

ThursoPICT0026-crop.JPG

Aberfeldy tank retails crop.jpg

Georgemas N End mhcrop.jpg

Kyle mess shed b crop.jpg

Kyle tank interior.jpg

Edited by Ben Alder
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh ,excellent news. Had been planning a plockton style scratchbuild. With regards to the 4mm engine shed, I am awaitng replacement windows from York model making. I have also been in contact with Barnabas with regard to milling a slot  in underneath of louvre roof and then chain drilling out louvres. All this to allow lighting. Still to pluck up courage and perseverence as will be a labourious chain drilling job! I have also wondered whether design could be adapted to come as seperate hollow printing to facilitate this but I know little of 3d printing limitations. 

Can I also echo your sentiments and thank Barnabas, Ben Alder &Iain for their much appreciated efforts.

Regards Ian

• RMweb Premium

Dear Richard ,Thank you for those pictures. That is exactly the details I wanted. I have been pouring over the photos Mark posted of Altnabreac. The details of the bracing around the inner tank are helpful. I have lowered the tank base by about 4mm and will try and incorporate that detail. 

As regards the engine shed, I had an email from Julie at York Model making last night and she has posted the trial blanks for the windows.

I guess am getting to the stage of " screwing my courage to the sticking post " and excising the resin ones. Once again thanks. Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well Pop up came up trumps !  Two engine sheds and a sheet of slates in N taken off Iain`s measurements so plenty of slate to work with .  sorted just 3 days ago and delivered by Royal Mail today.  Maybe some  fun to show in next few days.  Bonus water tower was a pleasant suprise so views above will help.  Also DCC supplies excelled on  quick turnround on self adhesive Redutex sheets to cover the models.

Robert     

• Like 2