Bachmann class 46 - help required

I have a rather old class 46 Bachmann diesel locomotive that has a distinct "thump" as it is driven in one direction.

It seems to be ok in reverse.

I have isolated the problem to one of the driven wheels on one of the bogies although after close inspection, can see no obvious reason, but the "thump" seems to be in time with the rotation of the wheels.

Can someone advise the way to open the bogie assembly so I can further check the wheels and possibly replace them?

I can see no way of separating the bogie frame. No screws or obvious plastic clips!

Regards,

Barry

Is this the early (1990s) centre motor drive 46?

Can't help with dismantling although I seem to remember that the frame holding the wheels and drive gear clips into the outer frame. However, regarding the symptoms, I had the same last week with an early Bachmann 158 dmu and it turned out to be a split axle centre muff/gear. Luckily I had a spare chassis lying about to rob one off but I was going to check with Bachmann to see if they have any spares as I have a few 158s and it may happen again in future.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Giz is spot on this will be a split gear, the reason it only happens in one direction is it will be opening out the gear and jumping a tooth. you could try gluing it but I suspect it won't hold for long, you will need a new axle.

Hadn't considered that, I have a spare class 45 bogie assembly that I thought to rob at need. Although the bogie side frame detail is different to the class 46, I suspect the driven wheels might be interchangeable. Problem is, I don't know how to split the chassis to extract/change the driven axle.

Barry