O gauge GWR branch shunting layout - inspiration sought

Schooner

21 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

The Canadian layout is interesting, I guess it was freight only when modelled, but the 4-6-0s and turntable put it in a different league to most UK branches. The concept is good though and the track plan more prototypically accurate for the UK than the vast majority seem to be.

Wasn't trying to suggest the layout as such as an idea of what to make, but rather here was a reasonable sized layout that has minimal track that with a small amount of rolling stock can offer the sort of operations he wants -  a couple of hours of fun.  Essentially, brought up as a counterpoint to the original posters tendency to seem to want to design larger and more complicated layouts, to show that you can achieve what he states he wants without resorting to the larger layouts.

The problem is that I am not aware of any UK layouts that offer the same sort of size and single operation focus (though I would be interested) to offer as a suggestion to look at.

As for Port Rowan, it was passenger - but like a lot of rural lines serving small towns in North America barely.  One train a day, a mixed train, with a combine (aka BSO) attached to the year.  The line was abandoned in 1965.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

Wasn't trying to suggest the layout as such as an idea of what to make, but rather here was a reasonable sized layout that has minimal track that with a small amount of rolling stock can offer the sort of operations he wants -  a couple of hours of fun.  Essentially, brought up as a counterpoint to the original posters tendency to seem to want to design larger and more complicated layouts, to show that you can achieve what he states he wants without resorting to the larger layouts.

The problem is that I am not aware of any UK layouts that offer the same sort of size and single operation focus (though I would be interested) to offer as a suggestion to look at.

As for Port Rowan, it was passenger - but like a lot of rural lines serving small towns in North America barely.  One train a day, a mixed train, with a combine (aka BSO) attached to the year.  The line was abandoned in 1965.

I really like that concept.  I would love to model the never wazza railways of the Isle of Skye in that style. Port Rowan could almost pass for Kyleakin .  Very few trains simple track layouts apart from Portree but interesting shunting, and of course the interesting clapped out locos the canny Scots would have acquired to run the line after Col McStephens took over and then dumped a the back of Portree works.  Nice Skye Blue Dean Goods anyone.   They probably had  the Adams Radials off the Kyle line from the MOD post WW1, might have taken the back off and fitted a tender.  With tender cab a la FR Blanche?  Oh well with three unfinished and one derelict layout I can still dream.

• Like 3

What wonderful modelling, and an excellent layout. An excellent suggestion @mdvle, thank you. You're quite right to call me out on resorting to more complex prototype trackplans than are perhaps required, and you chose and exquisite example to illustrate. The phrase "large models of small prototypes" really strikes a chord with me (believe it or not!). Interesting also to read of the enjoyment three-link couplings brought in 7mm...the thought had crossed my mind...!

On a related note, I came across Hull MRS's Crumley and Little Wickhill for the first time today:

C%20&%20LW%20Track%20Plan%20W.jpg

The appeal of that layout further suggests that three or so fairly simple locations along a system (circuit) will provide levels of both cake retention and cake comsumption that it turns out I'm looking for!

A terminus-terminus plan based on Kingsbridge - Brent (via Avonwick) is slowly coming to a presentable level, as is a circuit + branch based on Henley-in-Arden (which, as a set up at least, still seems almost perfect). A circuit + bits is now starting to form in my mind, something like @Harlequin's very tidy large-radius-but-small-space Inglenook (Scene A)

serving as an exchange yard for a small industry (Scene B); itself accessed along a branch originating from a small station, as per @DavidC's suggestion, although a through station on the circuit (Scene C). Plenty to be getting on with for now :)

My continued thanks to you all for highlighting that I don't know what I want, and providing such good information on the pros and cons of various options. Your time is much appreciated :)

All the best,

Schooner

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Longmoor Military Rail Training Centre is the answer.

A circuit, two branches and MPD and a few yards to canter back and forth in to shift the stock about.

I'm sure there were other camps with workable scenarios for muddlers to pursue. (Bisley springs to readily to mind.)

Longmoor also featured in at least two films location work, the Great St Trinian's Train robbery being one of them.

Greatest loss to railway hertitage in the history of greatest losses. It was a heritage line in its own right simply because of the age of the rolling stock employed.

Probably the closest to a 12" scale Hornby Trainset ever built with a practical purpose.

It has much to commend it even built as a series of scenic modules, linked by non scenic sections.

It also has the potential to absorb the activities of several operators.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If you want to use a 43xx (or two) you're looking at secondary lines like the Barnstaple branch, the MSWJR, the Severn Valley – or of course Frome after the by-pass. But at Frome all the interesting stuff happened at the east end! The various Welsh lines formerly Cambrian could be interesting though some trains were quite long.

In real life the Kingsbridge branch was almost entirely small prairie country I believe.

• Informative/Useful 1