Dia 1/217 Vanwide as built.

• RMweb Gold

I will be needing a few of these wagons, but with their original underframes, so a few questions if I may.

By my reckoning I need the Parkside sides and ends, (obviously!), do Peco still sell individual sprues as used to be the case? 

The chassis is proving a little more elusive, I believe they were originally built with LMS style equal V hanger Morton braked underframes, and in my searches, neither Parkside or Ratio do the underframe separately, so I am presuming I will need the Ratio LMS van kit if it is suitable, the spare body will be found a chassis, so no great loss, but is it the correct chassis and will it fit?

Has anyone done this already?

TIA.

Mike.

I thought that Vanwides only had a chassis alteration when they went to air brake. As far as I know kit PC41 is as built. Kit PC76 has the later suspension. Kit PA16 is the original style chassis kit.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Flood said:

I thought that Vanwides only had a chassis alteration when they went to air brake. As far as I know kit PC41 is as built. Kit PC76 has the later suspension. Kit PA16 is the original style chassis kit.

You are correct; the lower-numbered kit is the VEV (and other variations of code), the second is of the air-braked rebuilds.

Should you opt for the PC41, then you should find enclosed a second pair of solebars, with J-hangers; very useful for fitted LMS vans and opens.. These are also to be found in PA16.

• Informative/Useful 1