Traffic between Iran and U.K. in VIXs and IIB 'Inter-frigo' vans.

C126

• RMweb Gold

Sorry if this question is thought to be more suitable for the 'Asian Railways' board, but does anyone know what goods were carried in the VIX and IIB ferry-wagons between Iran and the U.K.?  I believe offal was carried in one service - perhaps not from Iran - to Pedigree Pet-foods at Melton Mowbray (Shannon, 'Wagonload', 2006, p.51).  I read on this site somewhere someone saw a VIX in Iran once.  I appreciate the cargo would not have been spices, saffron, carpets, and rice, but if anyone knows what the traffic was in these most romantic of wagons, and how often, I would be grateful.  Thanks as ever for giving this your consideration.

Edited by C126
Typos.

2 hours ago, C126 said:

Sorry if this this question is thought to be more suitable for the 'Asian Railways' board, but does anyone know what goods were carried in the VIX and IIB ferry-wagons between Iran and the U.K.?  I believe offal was carried in one service - perhaps not from Iran - to Pedigree Pet-foods at Melton Mowbray (Shannon, 'Waonload', 2006, p.51).  I read on this site somewhere someone saw a VIX in Iran once.  I appreciate the cargo would not have been spices, saffron, carpets, and rice, but if anyone knows what the traffic was in these most romantic of wagons, and how often, I would be grateful.  Thanks as ever for giving this your consideration.

THe VIXs might have taken UK exports to Iran; , the Iranians bought the designs for the Hillman Hunter in 1967, and manufactured it as the Paykan ('Arrow') until  2005. Some components were manufactured in the UK. In the other direction, Iran produces dried apricots, almonds and pistachios; it's conceivable that some of these were transported by rail.

The 'Interfrigo' vans carried all sorts of fresh fruit, such as peaches, apricots and , from Southern Europe. Amongst other flows was 'Mozzarella', which went to somewhere in the Middle East from somewhere in Southern Scotland. There was also the offal traffic (mainly pig's lungs) from Denmark, as well as a trial on fish traffic from Mallaig to Grimsby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to you both for your help.  I had not heard of the 'mozzarella flow'.  I know the IIB Inter-frigos got around a lot, but was not sure what freight to/from Iran they would have carried.  I do like the idea of dried apricots and nuts winding their way towards the U.K.  Best wishes.

5 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

There was a traffic in Deep Frozen pigs lungs from Holland to Melton Mowbray for Pedigree in normal ferryvans, they were loaded frozen and defrosted en route and were ready to use on arrival!

The carriage of what I might describe as lesser cuts of meat(!) was surprisingly common, there are several photos of MAV Hungarian refrigerator vans in the goods yard at Hampton (middx) in the 1950's that reputedly carried horse meat to a dog-food factory somewhere in the area (I've never tracked down where) whatever it was it was a fairly long lived and regular service based on the number of different vans photographed there.

Jon

• Thanks 1