Matt varnish for enamel paint ???

Guest Half-full

Most varnishes from most manufacturers can be used, acrylic or enamel.  I'd avoid Humbrol though

• RMweb Premium

A very good varnish I use at the moment is Humbrol acrylic matt varnish. It’s flatter than the wife’s singing. I also use Vallejo Matt and satin varnish both acrylics, but local store has been out of stock of late. I’ve found Tamiya Matt has a slight sheen to it. I tend to use acrylic varnishes as the chance of a reaction with underlying paint is significantly reduced. You can use acrylics over enamel, but be very careful the other way round as a reaction could occur.

A good matt lacquer I’ve recently been using is Halfords Matt lacquer. It’s usually in with their enamel sprays rather than the car paint section.

Edit: pic shows the Halfords result 

F390E0B3-CE03-41AE-B44E-A4430A5BE245.jpeg

Edited by PMP
Add pic
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, PMP said:

A very good varnish I use at the moment is Humbrol acrylic matt varnish. It’s flatter than the wife’s singing. I also use Vallejo Matt and satin varnish both acrylics, but local store has been out of stock of late. I’ve found Tamiya Matt has a slight sheen to it. I tend to use acrylic varnishes as the chance of a reaction with underlying paint is significantly reduced. You can use acrylics over enamel, but be very careful the other way round as a reaction could occur.

A good matt lacquer I’ve recently been using is Halfords Matt lacquer. It’s usually in with their enamel sprays rather than the car paint section.

Edit: pic shows the Halfords result 

F390E0B3-CE03-41AE-B44E-A4430A5BE245.jpeg

I have used Halfords matt and satin lacquers with excellent results.

Coincidentally  I have just renumbered a Bachmann  Class 105 and sprayed  only the small body panels , that have the numbers on, with Halfords satin lacquer. The match is excellent, you can not see the "join".  

Edited by philsandy
typo

Hi all,

I have used Halfords rattle can matt varnish in the past. It seemed to work very well except on Humbrol satin black enamel paint. Where it caused the paint to bubble to such an extent I had to restrip and paint the engines again. Hence I am not too keen to use it on my current project of an all black GWR Hall. I will have to do some test paints and see what happens.

Thanks again for all the info.

• Agree 1