Simple AC supply for solenoid point motors

TomJ

Although my layout is DCC the points are still traditionally controlled using Peco point motors and switches powered by a Gaugemaster Combi and a CDU

Now I’d quite like the Combi back for another simple analogue project - so need a way of powering the points. Buying a new full controller seems a bit OTT for just points

whats the best thing I should get - bearing in mind I know very little about electrics and don’t want anything I have to wire up myself or adapt

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

In theory, you could simply take a feed from the existing power supply you use for your DCC - unless you have a large layout with many locos and accessories running it probably has sufficient capacity for both.

If you want to stick with a separate supply, laptop battery chargers are a good source but you need to check the voltage / power requirement of your CDU and buy appropriately.

• Thanks 1

Gaugemaster WM1 will do the job as a stand alone unit. Or an old train controllers 16volt AC output.  As too will a spare or new 18 to 20 volt DC ex laptop power supply, are all able to be feed into the CDU input.

• Thanks 1