corax67

Remote Point control with servos

There may well be a thread to help me but I cannot find one so here goes.....

We have a large (16x12) exhibition layout that has grown and been tweaked over many years - all of our points are on the rear non-sceniced boards which take 4 running tracks and split them into 10 fiddle sidings. Some of the points are becoming “tired” and swapping them out is not something we really fancy.

Having seen Megapoints at Ally Pally we loved them and bought a servo controller & we have a matching set of 9g servos.

Due to storage constraints we store the board in pairs, face to face, and mounting the servos below board risks them being damaged so we’d like to mount them above.

Following possibly too much alcohol during a zoom meeting we had a bit of a bonkers idea - maybe fit the servos along the edge of the board and then operate the points via rodding due to space constraints.

Has anyone tried this or were we having a bit of a mad moment?

Karl

From what I recall seeing, many model aircraft have the servos located at the centre of balance but use rods to transmit the servo motion to the rear elevators and rudder.

• Agree 2

Should be straightforward to do that, just connect with model aircraft rodding or wire in tube if you need to pass under tracks.

This was a demo for an offset servo below board but could just as well be above.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sounds basically like wire in tube control. There are a few suppliers of bits, but you just have an actuating rod running through some appropriately flexible tubing.

• Agree 2

Wire in tube - why did I not think of that? It’s not like I spent most of my twenties RC flying ... DOH !!

What one of us really needs to do is to get into our storage rooms once lockdown eases a bit more (it’s in church) and do some very accurate measuring and templating so we can try a mock-up - thanks all

Karl

Don't forget the other old stalwart for point control - bicycle spokes. You have a nice 3/8" adustment range on one end with the thread.

• Agree 1

I use peco servos with wire in tube from the edge of the board works really well 

DSC_1489.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1