Dapol 48xx lurching drivers

swiftbeam

Hi,

I have just got a brand new Dalpol 48xx and it seems to have a problem I hope somebody can help me with?

When the loco starts off after a change of direction, the drivers take up the slop in the conrods by turning a few degrees (slip) before the model starts to move. Once underway, the driving wheels lurch forward and backwards by about 1mm when running backwards or forwards, this can be seen very clearly when running slowly. The driver almost touches the brake block, then moves away creating a significant gap. 

I have flipped the loco on it's back and powered it up, off load the wheel set run 100% perfectly, but once a very light amount of finger tip pressure is applied to the front wheel, the drivers start lurching.

The problem is, it will always be running slowly, as it will be working on a 12ft exhibition type layout at eye line shunting around a station, so this unwanted driver lurch will be a big distraction to me.

Is this slop 'normal' for a Dapol 14xx type loco or do I need to send it back to be fixed?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by swiftbeam

Hi, I don't want to send it back to the retailer as he is a friend and I'd feel bad bothering him with an 'iffy' model. Do you think I can send it back to Dapol direct? 

Is this Lurching driver 'normal' for the 14XX?

If yes, I'll sell it off cheap and buy a 74xx with fingers crossed.

Edited by swiftbeam

I certainly wouldn't try to repair it (as you would invalidate any guarantee) and I'm sure that your retailer friend would understand.  I also assume that he would return the faulty model to Dapol and be credited so he wouldn't be out of pocket.

Ray.

• Agree 1

The lurching drivers do not affect the performance at all, it runs very smooth, it just looks bad to see the wheels lurching back and forth as they rotate.

Friends are everything and I'd feel very awkward and bad giving it back for him to sort out.  

Does anybody know if Dapol would fix or replace direct?

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, swiftbeam said:

Is this Lurching driver 'normal' for the 14XX?

No, I suspect you are missing a bearing or two. All axles should have them, like the ones visible on the rear axle.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, swiftbeam said:

Friends are everything and I'd feel very awkward and bad giving it back for him to sort out.

He'd simply add into the next lot of returns to Dapol, end of problem.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

Why not email / contact Dapol ?

I have done that, but I was hoping to get a quick and more in depth answer here as well. 

Dapol are never going to tell me that wobbly wheels are 'noramal' even if they are for them. 

I've had 3 Dapol 00 locos in the past, and they were all bad inc wonky wheels, one of those models even went back to Dapol and the retailer for fixing. It never got fixed until I trued up all the wheels on my lathe, then it ran perfectly. One of the other locos had to be retuned to the shop 3 times before I got one that was worth keeping.

So maybe now you can understand why I'm asking here as well as waiting on a reply form Dapol and do not want to get involved with my friendly shop keeper.

To be honest, I'm thinking I'll not take a chance on another 'Dapol fix' and just sell it on cheap and cut my losses. Maybe go for a 74xx x Lionheart model?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, swiftbeam said:

Dapol are never going to tell me that wobbly wheels are 'noramal' even if they are for them. 

Agreed, but they'll tell you if they're prepared to deal with the problem directly or not.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

Agreed, but they'll tell you if they're prepared to deal with the problem directly or not.

I'll see what Dapol say and take it from there.

Thanks Guys :)

Edited by swiftbeam
extra detail.

Your friend as a retailer will more than likely get a quicker response from Dapol that you will as a purchaser ...yes I know it sounds daft but that's how it works I'm afraid. Dapol are producing some excellent models but they are not the most customer friendly in one off enquiries. 

After much thought and a nights sleep, I've decided to send it back to my friendly retail shop for a refund. I'm going to buy a Minerva loco instead. They are local to me, so I can collect in person.

So this brings this situation for me to an end.

Thank you Guys for all your help and advise :)

Edited by swiftbeam
  • Friendly/supportive 1