Evening all

Not really posted here before but thought this might be a good place to start - apologies in advance if this is deemed to be in the wrong area of the forum. I'm looking for ideas to bounce off other modellers as to size/setting of layouts.

A bit of background - I have been collecting model locos since I was probably about 10 or 12 years old, and mostly from the era depicting what I used to see when I started trainspotting around the turn of the century. As such I collected a reasonable number of Hornby/Lima/Bachmann EWS locos, most of which I sold a couple of years ago having never got round to making a layout for them. Since then I have amassed a collection of more modern offerings from the manufacturers, and currently have about 30 locos on the roster in EWS, Loadhaul, Dutch, Transrail and Mainline liveries. Some have been renumbered and the current fleet is as follows:

08665 EWS

20088 BR Grey

37055 Mainline

37057 EW&S

37174 EWS

37294 Civil Engineers

37371 Mainline

37405 EWS

37409 Transrail

37415 EW&S

37521 EWS

37668 EW&S

37670 EWS

37674 Transrail

37682 EW&S

37695 EWS

37703 EWS

37709 Mainline Grey

37710 Loadhaul

47760 EWS

47787 EWS

47793 EWS

56056 Transrail

56087 EWS

56094 EWS

56103 EWS

56119 EWS

58012 Mainline Grey

58016 EW&S

58030 EWS

60002 EW&S

60059 Loadhaul

Forgive the listing of every single locomotive but I do so to illustrate my problem; many locos, but no layout to run them on! For 15 odd years it's been my dream to have a layout but size has always been an issue. I had a house sale in place prior to the lockdown but that has since fallen through, though I hope to find a property with suitable space for a decent 'railway room' in the coming months. 

My biggest issue however is a complete lack of skill when it comes to planning out a layout. I'm ultimately aiming for a TMD type layout but on a size hopefully similiar to layouts like Crimson Road https://www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk/layouts/members-layouts/crimson-road/ . However in the meantime I have a 6ftx4ft board to play with, but can't even decide on a workable track plan for this. I think having a go on a smaller scale before aiming for the big time is a wise idea (I need to work out how DCC works as having sound-equipped locos is a must for me but I find the wiring etc absolutely mind-boggling), but after many, many hours poring over ideas and screwing them up in frustration, I wonder if any members here would be kind enough to share any ideas they may have? Struggling with a trackplan for such a small place doesn't bode well for any future, larger project! 

Hello, I think it would be fair to say that most railway modellers go through a stage when there is a desire to build a layout but ideas and schemes just don't lead to anything that ticks all the boxes. You have a longterm desire layout wise but in the meantime you want a stop gap layout so that you can run your trains, experiment with DCC and other modelling matters.  With 6x4 to play with the stop gap measure is going to have limitations but in some ways that has its advantages. With the best will in the world it is difficult to achieve much more than a twin or possibly triple ovalled layout with a few sidings. However what that simplicity allows is to be able to have the satisfaction of seeing trains run fairly quickly and to be able to do those experiments and the learning process of DCC and otjer things without loosing too much when you move onto that long term layout.

My suggestion, but there will no doubt be other equally valid suggestions, would be to use one of the Hornby or Peck track plans in their plan books and use one of those for your layout. Using set track will also allow for quick alterations if desired and always has a market if you want to sell it on later.

Maybe not the answer you want but I hope the above may be of use in getting over that difficult hurdle of what track plan to use. We all have different ideas but I think it is fair to say we all enjoy locos actually running and no matter how long we have been modelling or how many layouts we have built the next track plan will always be better!

Best of luck with whatever you decide on.

Woody

9 hours ago, AntF92 said:

My biggest issue however is a complete lack of skill when it comes to planning out a layout.

Track planning books can be helpful, but even they can be overwhelming at times with so many options. I've been through that process a number of times, and usually I opt for a relatively simple track plan which I then change to suit my locos and rollingstock and operating interests.

if you want a track plan that will be fairly quick and easy to set up, you might try something like an inglenook. If you are mainly moving locos around, then you might be able to have the lead track shorter than is usual for an inglenook

spacer.png

The beauty of an inglenook is that it's good easy starting track plan, which can have extra complexity added to it later (if that's what you want), and it scales up or down in size fairly well. it can also be the basis for a larger layout later on.

• RMweb Premium

An impressive collection of locos.  Some things to consider for your temporary layout based on experience:

What space do you have for your temporary layout?  If you have a longer space and can cut the 6’ x4’ board into two 6’ x 2’ boards you could place them end to end to give you a longer run of 12’ x 2’ - which ought to be plenty big enough for an MPD / TMD layout?

You could advice on a track plan for that kind of space in the Layout Planning and Design Forum of RMweb ( I don’t know much about MPD’s but there are some great models and layouts around ).

If you’re stuck with a 6’ x4’ board, do you have somewhere to set it up where you can access at least three sides of it?  It is too far to reach across.  If you have to move the board, is it light enough to to be moveable ( I have an 8’ x 4’ space but my layout splits into four boards).

You can fit a continuous run layout onto a 6’ x 4’ board, which is useful as a test track for running in locos, but the curves will be tight - track plan books can show what will fit, as suggested above. Hope it’s OK to share some things to think about.  Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

Thanks for all your comments chaps, much appreciated and much to think about. After browsing back through some old mags, I came across the Hornby Magazine 'O' gauge Seven Mills depot, which seems to feature a good degree of operational interest in a small space - even smaller in OO - and space to store a couple of locos 'on scene', which is something I'd like to be able to do.

With some work, I'm sure this could fit into a 6x4 space in OO?

• Agree 1

The Inglenook idea (as suggested by Jimsmodeltrains above) fits neatly and completely into 4' length.  If you can access your 6x4 board from both long sides, why not put a backscene diwn the middle to create two 6' x 2' micro layouts back to back?

You could perhaps use a siding running at a diagonal to link both sides to each other...

I would set up one board as a TMD based using the Inglenook plan as a basis - if the headshunt needs only your longest loco, you should easily be able to incorporate longer sidings and/or kickback sidings.  Perhaps have a loco shed in low relief so as to display your locos on a concrete servicing apron with inspection pits?

I would set up the opposite side as an Inglenook for some shunting fun.  The Shunting Puzzles website (http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/) explains how many combinations can be generated with either 8 wagons using a 5-3-3 layout or 5 wagons using a 3-2-2 layout , so in 6' it should be possible to set up sidings for more traditional 10' or longer modern freight stock.  I'd scenic this either as a marshalling yard or a wagon works.  If a marshalling yard, I would have the three sidings running parallel off stage under an overbridge and use a crafty mirror to double the apparent length!  

Operate each side independently, and use the opposite side as a fiddle yard - twice the fun operation in the same amount of space.

If you require a continuous run, remember your curves need to be at least second radius for longer locos to look okay, and will rapidly eat into your 6' length.  For running in your locos, invest in a rolling road or cradles that can be put onto a siding.

Whatever you do, don't give up!  There's plenty of help and advice available here (and I have been in receipt of plenty of it since joining).

HOURS OF FUN!

Given the range of mainly EWS motive power perhaps an MPD is the way forward. Preferably something with a Turntable so individual models can be 'staged' as prize exhibit.

If all are the locomotion is DCC controlled then setting up the MPD to incorporate some inglenookery in the shape of a repair shed or two.

This might allow the loco's to become the stock to be shunted using the 08 as the yard shunter.

Minimum space for the MPD might be 10' x 3'.

You do not mention what space you have available and what other rolling stock features on your list but with 31 mainline units and a shunter one imagines you may not get much realistic running into less space than a modern garage would provide 18' x 10'.

In the end it boils down to what you want to see.

A reasonable length of double or Quadruple track running through open country where a succession of freight trains  rattle along the slow lines with the occasional stock move of three loco's coupled together. The fast mainlines seeing 10 car express passenger. I have a feeling that some automation might be needed  as the fiddle yard is going to be the centre of operations with the scenic section providing the staging area.