Black Beetle motors

I have installed some Black Beetle motors to some LUL stock. The motors have a 25.5 mm wheelbase and 10.5mm disc wheels. I am running them on PECO code 100 track. I get lot of derailments especially on the curves. I have used 2nd radius bends. I notice the wheel flanges are quite small compared to my RTR locos. Would I be better to take out my code 100 and install a finescale track. Would this help? If not does anybody have any other suggestions.

I had a similar problem with Tenshodo motors in my '38 ts. Check the back to back and adjust. Also add weight directly above the motor (I used some off cuts of lead flashing trimmed to fit) and check the pivot point is totally free as even the slightest tightness will cause problems. Clearance for the bogies under most tube stock is tight.

Edited by d00m
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The code of the rail should not make any difference. Was going to add what d00m has already done about the pivot and clearances. I have never had an issue with any of mine derailing, but my minimum radius was 24" at low speed in the fiddle yards and 36" on the mainlines.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The solution comes in two parts. The vehicle element has already been dealt with.

The other element is the tracklaying standard. Constant gauge - I know set track should be right! - and both railtops in the same plane. Sight along the track for rail top profile with smooth transitions on and off gradients.

It is a difficult subject, and I recall the struggles of a friend who wanted to create an operating LU station with the gradients at either end. To get enough movement in pitch and roll for the bogies to stay on the track over the gradient transitions on curves he had to slightly raise the bodies above the bogies, and introduce a little more flexibility in the vehicle couplings so that each vehicle could move independently as much as was required.

• Thanks 1