Which OO turntable - Peco or Hornby?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, yelrow said:

Frateschi model HO scale 4500 Turntable | ModelRailroader ...

mrr.trains.com ›2009/10› frateschi .  This gives you a write up, size etc.

That still isn't a proper link but does have some info when page is opened

https://mrr.trains.com/news-reviews/reader-reviews/2009/10/frateschi-model-ho-scale-4500-turntable

This is the company's own info.

https://www.frateschi.com.br/web/trilhos/?lang=en

The description is a bit basic and company is Brazilian and seemingly not easy to find stockists.

EDIT

One on e-bay UK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Unboxed-FRATESCHI-HO-220mm-LONG-MOTORIZED-TURNTABLE-free-post-/293415369854

Edited by melmerby

i gave you a link, which supplied size/ opinion. There is a uk supplier, who when i remember their name, will post. It s the size that sold it to me. Very compact and takes 22 roads, which i have had all up and running, in DCC..  At the moment i am down to 5, due to amalgamation of layouts.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, yelrow said:

i gave you a link

When I click on it doesn't open as a hotlink would. (It should be underlined)

I had to put it in a search box to get to that page and then I posted the direct link to that page.

That TT is a more realistic size for a UK layout, both the Peco and the Fleischmann are overlong.

Edited by melmerby

6 hours ago, stewartingram said:

No connection to this trader http://www.locomotech.com/ but they have had some good reviews, and I'll probably order one shortly.

Stewart

Have one - very good - keep on meaning to rig up some switch off sensor as all my TT does is a 180 degree turn. The key with a Peco TT is to ensure the well is flat and that it is properly supported; do not leave it just sitting in a hole in the baseboard. As for it being too long if its fictitious location then its a simple case that during WWII traffic to a nearby military establishment saw locos in use that necessitated a larger TT being put in.

• Like 1

A further question, plea. When deciding on the length of turntable required - the say 50, 60. 65 or 70ft, should you measure the largest loco’s wheel base or total length over buffers?

I would guess the latter, in order to allow room for manoeuvring.

TIA 

Ian

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, clecklewyke said:

A further question, plea. When deciding on the length of turntable required - the say 50, 60. 65 or 70ft, should you measure the largest loco’s wheel base or total length over buffers?

TIA 

Ian

It is a good question; the LNER Pacifics had a wheelbase of about 61ft, but they put in 70ft turntables to turn them so I guess they took account of the length over buffers.  Having said that I have read of locos being turned on turntables on which they only just fitted, and sometimes old turntables had extensions fitted to allow bigger locos to be turned.

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, clecklewyke said:

TIA 

Ian

An LMS "Princess had a wheelbase of 63' 10" but the length over buffers is 74' 4½" but AFAIK the LMS turntables were never over 70'

In 2016 Coronation 46233  which has a wheelbase of 62' 11" (length 73' 10½" overall) was turned on the St Blazey turntable which is 65', so a lot of overhang.

In this case I believe some fencing surrounding the pit was temporarily removed.

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

Hello, I bought the Peco turntable and it looks jolly good, quite like the real one at Didcot.  It also takes the longest of my locomotives, a Princess.

My only criticism is that I also used the Expo motor kit....

The metal spindle which transmits the drive from the motor to the bridge, is a smooth, round cross section, just press fitting into the lug in the bottom of the bridge.

So I suspect that mine might be turning in it's lug.  It should have been a splined shaft or square ended.

Next, There is a selection of gear options and you can easily set-up a gearing to your taste.

The output is to a worm which engages with a large cog on the other end of previously mentioned shaft. But the kit does not provide anything to hold them together, you have to improvise that yourself.  Mine keeps disengaging, so the bridge often just stops turning.

Lastly, despite liberal quantities of cork sheeting for sound dampening, the noise from the motor is very loud and objectionable.  Also, when I cut the power, there is still a bit of over-run, making alignment a bit of a dark-art.

Why couldn't Hornby do a turntable that looked like the Peco one?  Why couldn't Peco do one that had indexing, like Hornby?

I may just seriously consider the ADM turntable.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay but the turntable is only one of many developments on Clecklewyke.

i finally decided on the Peco turntable and here it is:image.jpeg.3e1edaa1075ec7ffc31f1f710f7765b0.jpegimage.jpeg.d45b3250a86f1d91b6eb52d1d005825a.jpeg

The Peco turntable is nearly complete. I am delighted by this kit: It was easy to put together, the only difficulty being the microscopic text of the instructions. To my eyes it looks like a real turntable, not some kit designer’s idea of of one. It is longer than I would have liked but is the best compromise available to me. I will be fitting an indexing motorising unit, o which there are number of options, the Locotech looking attractive, being simple to build - an important consideration with my limited sight.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Lantavian said:

Am I reading the website correctly .... £400+ for a turntable drive?????

A Fleischmann 6152C is nearly that price with a manual control.

The digital controller is another £185.

Note these are quality items, not in the same league as Hornby/Walthers etc.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I have two Peco turntables on my layout - the one shown is at the end of the fiddle yard. They are both powered by Locomotech motors, which turn at 2rpm and are virtually silent. Power comes from a H&M Clipper, with a toggle switch sending power to whatever table is being used. They have been working perfectly for four years. My layout is only ten feet long, so track can be aligned by eye, at 2rpm - a fairly simple operation.

Just out of interest, everything in the picture is located on the lift-up flap over the door.:o

49809139186_7c1351bb02_k.jpgIMG_0614 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1