What should I use for iron ore?

I am building some PTA (iron ore tippler) kits in  N gauge, and want to have them laden. Can anyone recommend a good material to use to represent the ore?

I am not exactly sure what the iron ore is (magnetite, hematite, something else?), plus I am red colour blind, and I am worried it will have a redness to it that I cannot see.

Just to be clear, this would be the iron ore British Steel imported in the seventies.

Not sure if this link will work, but it's an aerial view of the stock-piles at Tata's Port Talbot works:- https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Port+Talbot/@51.5802421,-3.7892527,206m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x486e417d526519d3:0x988defbf4b68103f!8m2!3d51.5946799!4d-3.784097?hl=en

Haematite tends to be a deep reddy-brown colour, a bit like that of new Doc Martins. Other imported ores would vary from deep red to grey.

Iron it's a bit like saying I'm would like to load chocolate. It's consistency is geological speaking a very broad church and it depends on were it's being mined. Ore mined in places like Cumberland or north Lancashire is of a higher iron content (80-90%) it's very dark red almost black. Were as ore from Oxfordshire is a pail yellow as it's got more water I its molecular structure. This colour changes when the ore is roasted as the water is driven of and any iron pyrites is oxidized. 

Marc

• Agree 2

Thanks for the replies.

The Hattons material looks too course. It is hard to tell for sure, but the lumps look like a scale six inches or so across in  N gauge. I get the impression they should be considerably smaller, perhaps up to a scale inch?

I was already aware there was quite a variety in ores. However Fat Controller's link to the aerial view at Port  Talbot (genius idea!) shows what a variety there is just at that location, so some flexibilityt on the colour. I just need to find a fine powder.