Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Over in ERs, GDB has just pointed out that the Rugby autumn Internationals start on Friday.

Wales had better up their game otherwise the outing to Dublin will turn into a routing.

On their current form the only good thing to come out of this will be the application of liberal amounts of Penderyn and the consumption of Welsh cakes to sooth  shredded nerves.

I'm feeling better already:  Should I try a practice run?:mocking_mini:

Allez les Blues as they say over here. One of the major French Rugby sides isn't far from here at La Rochelle.

Anyway the tip has been visited and the trailer is now empty so coffee is being drunk.

Jamie

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Do not try to replace light fittings in failing light.

You'll end up having to put the old one back up because the new one needs different holes drilled into the ceiling and some additional work with the wiring.  The old fitting has the facility to wire in two on/off switches, but the replacement has just a live/neutral, earth connection so I have so stick an additional connector in for the extra wiring.  It's only a single chocolate box connector to carry the connection to and keep the ring main intact.

I'll put my hand up to forgetting this would need to be done, but I was trying to do too many jobs at once.

The other curse I have is that the tails that come out of the roof are not very long when trying to fit some of these rather heavy new fangled multi bulb affairs.

Bring back candles!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Do not try to replace light fittings in failing light.

You'll end up having to put the old one back up because the new one needs different holes drilled into the ceiling and some additional work with the wiring.  The old fitting has the facility to wire in two on/off switches, but the replacement has just a live/neutral, earth connection so I have so stick an additional connector in for the extra wiring.  It's only a single chocolate box connector to carry the connection to and keep the ring main intact.

I'll put my hand up to forgetting this would need to be done, but I was trying to do too many jobs at once.

The other curse I have is that the tails that come out of the roof are not very long when trying to fit some of these rather heavy new fangled multi bulb affairs.

Bring back candles!

That was me a couple of weeks ago. It was worth the grief as I now have great lighting in the railway room. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 04/11/2020 at 07:54, bbishop said:

So quite short, really.  Some of my DB carriages are 24 inches.  Bill

Late reply as I was away for a long weekend trip. Anyway, US "O" is 1/48 and a lot of prototype passenger cars were around 85" so 21" yields a car that scales out to 84'.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a spelling error.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

.......the only good thing to come out of this will be the application of liberal amounts of Penderyn and the consumption of Welsh cakes.......

I'm feeling better already:  Should I try a practice run?:mocking_mini:

I just have Richard and can recommend it. Should your worst fears be realised, rest assured that I will be giving remote moral support in the same way.

Dave  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

(Those in Shropshire/Wales might find this interesting)

Last night I said I was watching the "Victorian Farm", and that is only partially true. Dad and I got through the first episode, and then went back to the menu. Lurking at the bottom of the recommended tap, was a thumbnail with "Snowdonia 1890" on it. It was duly clicked on, and is a most interesting programm, well worth a google, or watch, if you have Amazon Prime Video. 

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Late reply as I was away for a long weekend trip. Anyway, US "O" is 1/48 and a lot of prototype passenger cars were around 85" so 21" yields a car that scales out to 84'.

My US O Coaches aren’t at all long but being narrow gauge as well they look about right!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Well the shed, shower, chair and wall didn't get done before it was time for pre shift afternoon sleep. 

Fortunately, it was dark when the boss got home so she hasn't noticed the outside stuff yet.

With luck she won't notice the indoor stuff either.   I am encouraged by the fact that it took her 8 years to notice the kitchen radiator was still in undercoat and 13 years in, she hasn't noticed the hall radiator is the same. (the chair I've already sold as a long job)

Hunkered down for a raft of nights now, so they will have to wait till overmorrow

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, SM42 said:

Well the shed, shower, chair and wall didn't get done before it was time for pre shift afternoon sleep. 

Fortunately, it was dark when the boss got home so she hasn't noticed the outside stuff yet.

With luck she won't notice the indoor stuff either.   I am encouraged by the fact that it took her 8 years to notice the kitchen radiator was still in undercoat and 13 years in, she hasn't noticed the hall radiator is the same. (the chair I've already sold as a long job)

Hunkered down for a raft of nights now, so they will have to wait till overmorrow

Andy

Whatever you do, do not buy flowers!

This is a sign that some inaction, somewhere else, has been camouflaged.

Such an gesture will only heighten the alert levels (whilst depleting cake and whisky funds).

I now need to go and emulate a bat whilst replacing the dining room lamp after yesterday's slight setback.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I was thwarted in my attempts to refit the new dining room lamp as a Zoom meeting was taking place.

Reverting to my fall back task I found that the 'just file away the four lumps of plastic to get a sliding fit' on the curtain rail was quite problematic, due to the hardness of the plastic.  Even my diamond files seemed to skate over the top, and I was not going to indulge in hours of fettling.

Stronger methods needed to be employed.

Put the part in a machine vice and use a small woodruff cutter to remove the excess!

I had to keep the speed right down to avoid ending up with a gooey mess, but the time taken to remove each plastic 'lump' was about 5 seconds.

Of course the usefulness of my machine tools in a domestic application will be pointed out to the relevant authority at the appropriate moment.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I was thwarted in my attempts to refit the new dining room lamp as a Zoom meeting was taking place.

Reverting to my fall back task I found that the 'just file away the four lumps of plastic to get a sliding fit' on the curtain rail was quite problematic, due to the hardness of the plastic.  Even my diamond files seemed to skate over the top, and I was not going to indulge in hours of fettling.

Stronger methods needed to be employed.

Put the part in a machine vice and use a small woodruff cutter to remove the excess!

I had to keep the speed right down to avoid ending up with a gooey mess, but the time taken to remove each plastic 'lump' was about 5 seconds.

Of course the usefulness of my machine tools in a domestic application will be pointed out to the relevant authority at the appropriate moment.

Be careful there HH, don't overdo the 'pointing out' else you you might find the jobs list being added too. I speak with the voice of experience on this matter.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Be careful there HH, don't overdo the 'pointing out' else you you might find the jobs list being added too. I speak with the voice of experience on this matter.

You are not wrong there.

I bought a Silhouette Cameo cutter, and since it was discovered has been employed almost exclusively for  the manufacture of Guide/Brownie craft items.

Of course, since I am the one who has the CAD background, I'm expected to do all the artwork prior to setting the cutter to work.

However, all this is building up as ammunition in my quest for a laser cutter!

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

However, all this is building up as ammunition in my quest for a laser cutter!

I think my Brownie age niece liked the challenges set by their Brownie leader during the lockdown more than the school homework. I am sure your local Brownie and Guides would benefit from laser cut projects after a great deal of testing on model railway items. If it were not for the current Covid situation I am sure my younger niece would have been joining her sister in the pre Brownie section. The older niece is quite serious and shy, the younger one is the exact opposite!

Tony 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

By way of a change, this afternoon I dug out one of the Vertical boilers I had made for some De Winton locos.

Originally I designed them to be gas fired with a ceramic burner:  they were almost too successful adnvery easily made steam over consumption.  I reduced the heated area on the next batch I had made, which had the added advantage of increasing the range between water stops.

However, I have these two boilers of the first batch left over, and I'm wondering whether to try and retro fit them to run off methylated spirit.

Obviously, I would have to redesign the firing system and make a between frames meths tank:  But do I go for a large tank with a proper feed supply or do I just opt for a simple tank between the frames?  Hypothetical questions as I'll need to make up some oscillating motor units first!

Makes a change from 7 mm scale.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Whatever you do, do not buy flowers!

This is a sign that some inaction, somewhere else, has been camouflaged.

Such an gesture will only heighten the alert levels (whilst depleting cake and whisky funds).

I now need to go and emulate a bat whilst replacing the dining room lamp after yesterday's slight setback.

Only did it once, before we got married and for Valentines day. Well, I was trying to impress.

I usually employ the one job  rule.

If a job is allocated, then it gets done. If, before completion, another job is allocated, all previous orders become null and void and work on that particular job stops to attend the new job and will not be restarted until  it is allocated again.  At which point any uncompleted job will have work on it cancelled

Tends to stop one from being overworked

This little list I have now  has slipped through the net. (I was probably a bit tipsy and hence off guard)

Andy

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Ladies and gents, I’ve been a bit of a fool.

After the failure of last week with the mogul, dad and decided it would be possible to repair the old lubricator. The strategy up till 5 minutes ago was to replace the pipe in the current lubricator with a new one. But, I realized something once the pipe was removed. The holes in the pipe have to be there. How else would oil get into the steam line? There are no other holes, and if they were, the lubricator would empty very very quickly. And when I was attempting to drill out the steam line 6 months ago, my drill slotted into these holes by itself! So now, (assuming I am correct, Richard I’m sure you will know) I only have one hole to plug, on the lubricator casing. 

Douglas

F8B176CA-5341-427E-90D7-B764CAA23EF6.jpeg

EDIT: I have just realized that the second hole in the line was drilled on accident, as there probably would have only been a hole in the line facing forward. Will it have to be plugged, or can it remain there? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Douglas,

I think you drilled that hole when you were trying to clear out the steam pipe.  There may very well have been a hole there and the drill centred on it when you were effecting the repair and bored itself through.  Copper is very soft in an environment where it is continually heated and cooled, so is difficult to drill as the bit will snatch as it breaks through the wall hence the rather large and jagged hole 

Could you take some pictures of the lubricator itself, specifically any holes that are in it? It will help me reimagine the the plumbing arrangement.

I'm not to worried about the front with the fill/drain plugs, but the backside of the drum where all the steam connections are made would be helpful.

I presume it's 1/8" dia  copper pipe?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a damp and miserable me North Hipposhire. So far today has been spent dealing with resupply issues but there are now noises offstage that seem to indicate my efforts are to be redirected to other domestic tasks. Yesterday I managed to get some decent modelling time in and the coaling stage is coming along but there are other demands on my 'spare' time today that may or may not preclude further advancement. We shall see. It is also granddaughter No. 1's birthday so undoubtedly there will be an electronic meeting of some sort this evening.

It seems that things have gone quiet on the orange idiot front. Am I just not well informed, is this the lull before the storm or is realisation dawning? Let's hope it is the latter.

Havea good humpday folks.

Dave

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

It seems that things have gone quiet on the orange idiot front. Am I just not well informed, is this the lull before the storm or is realisation dawning? Let's hope it is the latter.

Thankfully, apart from a lot of hot air being passed, they have not gone down the route of riots, shooting and burning things to the ground which does seem to be the modus operandi of certain elements of society..  Let's hope it stays that way and remains peaceful.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Thankfully, apart from a lot of hot air being passed, they have not gone down the route of riots, shooting and burning things to the ground which does seem to be the modus operandi of certain elements of society..  Let's hope it stays that way and remains peaceful.

On another forum I frequent (not railway) that is based in the USA, it's reported, the orange lot are trying to organise a million Maga march on Washington..

In Washington DC Open carry of weapons is not permitted,  could be interesting..

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, TheQ said:

On another forum I frequent (not railway) that is based in the USA, it's reported, the orange lot are trying to organise a million Maga march on Washington..

In Washington DC Open carry of weapons is not permitted,  could be interesting..

Compared to the UK, which is highly regulated and therefore the gun laws should be easily interpreted, the USA does have a plethora of state variations on what you can and cannot do. Certainly the open carry  and concealed carry rules take a lot of understanding especially if you travel across state lines where you'd have to abide with state regulations whilst transiting through. 

In UK the general rule is that if you have a firearm it can only be carried openly on private land.  So when I wish to cross a public road between two segments of private land I have permission to shoot over, I have to unload both the rifle and magazine(s).  Case the rife, then cross the road and enter the second permission before I can reload the magazine and the rifle. (That works for air rifles, shotguns and Section 1 firearms).

Now out in the country, you'd probably get away with crossing the road, as locals are more used to the gun toting gentry and country set, but try that in Birmingham between two gardens on opposite sides of the road, and expect to be on the receiving end of an Armed Response Unit.

Apart from my army time where we had Crown exemption from the civil rules, I've only been on the street with a loaded rifle  on one occasion.

Driving down one of the local lanes, I can across a  very distressed lady who had run over a Mink.  It's back legs had gone and although it couldn't run off, it was still quite able to claw and bite.  She'd called the police and they turned up shortly afterward and agreed the animal needed to be put down, but the police officers were not prepared to pick the creature up and take it to a vet.

I suggested that it would be much quicker and kinder to shoot it there and then, and I did have my air rifle in the back of the car.  So they told me to get on with it. I think they were slightly taken aback when I asked for their (police) authorisation to load my air rifle and discharge it whilst standing on the public highway.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

Richard,

Here a few photos, let me know if you need more. With regards to the boring out the hole, it seems (IMO) unlikely. There are no marks or scoring inside the bores, and they are both larger than any of the drilled bits I have by some margin. (These are pen vise drill bits, and all extremely small ones). 

There two holes on the backside of the drum, where the pipe enters and exits, and the remains of the support bracket for the lubricator. In the top hole, you can see the where I drilled through the wall of lubricator, just below the pipe. I also included the piping diagram from a copy of my now semi Sumerian looking instructions. 

Douglas

744203A1-D3C7-46DA-AE50-280822A87BC5.jpeg

A952B383-4B81-426B-9CB1-457ED6DFB458.jpeg

F1D666FE-9ACC-40B7-A1DB-C45BF914799F.jpeg

9846979F-5C88-4142-8982-706F78CF4443.jpeg

50FD7399-1BDB-494F-A32A-A238B89A5124.jpeg

A4D33A24-B31C-4CE3-B23C-3F9E3007416E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2