Bachmann V1/3 spring problem

Hi all. I would really appreciate some help with this one. I have a Bachmann V1/3, split chassis, where the spring on the rear pony has "died". Bachmann sent me two replacements, but they are too short. Either with the old spring, or one of the new ones, the rear pony wheels spend half their time catching on the "cab floor" chassis section, and the noise is horrible! Does anyone have any idea where I could get a spring that was strong enough and long enough, or better still, a source of a bunch of springs of approximately the right size for various engines? Thanks.

If you find some do tell. I have been chopping up Bachmann split chassis carrying wheel springs for years to go on my own and other's Hornby bogie pivot posts, and my supply is nearing exhaustion.

5 hours ago, Fireline said:

... the spring on the rear pony has "died"...

How did it 'die'? Is there nothing usable left that could be stretched as required and reinstalled?

If it is beyond use, take the front pony spring, cut it in half, stretch each half so it is the same length as the original and reinstall front and rear. All the Bachmann split chassis carrying wheel springs I have encountered were excessive for the job they had to do, and I treated most by cutting into thirds and stretching before reinstalling, which on roth types of V's and A4s meant one and one third spare spring to be donated to less fortunate locos with no springs on their carrying wheels.

You can find springs more or less any diameter, wire gauge and length on line at very reasonable cost, I found getting brush springs and Airfix plunger pick up springs much easier from spring suppliers than from model railway spares suppliers.

• Informative/Useful 1