Termini with 'kick back' yards: examples?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

@Rowsley17D of this parish (!) is using Buxton Midland station as inspiration for a layout. That station had a large engine shed and coal yard(?) kickback complex accessed from a really tiny headshunt alongside the train shed.

I'm not sure what the reasons were for such an apparently awkward arrangement.

The reason for the cramped facilities was that the station was in the town centre on a tiny site. Just over the wall from the head-shunt buffer-stops was a road -Station Road/Palace Road and I don't think the Duke of Devonshire wanted the railways any more into town than was necessary to get the punters to partake of his hotels and spa facilities.

All is revealed here:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/114587027

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

High Street Kensington. A terminus of the District Line from Earls Court, the through station the Circle Line from Gloucester Road to Notting Hill Gate, a double double junction. th goods yard (the Midland Railway coal depot kicked back up an incline from the District Line platform then kicked back again so the sidings were parallel to the District but on a much higher level.

I often wondered how goods trains entered the coal depot and the wonderful NLS Maps provided the answer. Goods traffic stopped in about 1964 and was steam-hauled usually by a Jinty until the end. The coal yard site is now a couple of hotels.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/07/2020 at 23:47, Nearholmer said:

I had a look at aerial photos on Britain from Above, and I think the car shed dates from when the line was electrified in the 1930s. There are some good shots showing the quay, and it is possible to see how it was changed cWW2, to get rid of old warehouses that I think might have dated from when the LBSCR ran steamers from there to France, simplify the track and replace a trio of little steam cranes with a big crane/derrick of some sort.

Isn't Mr & Mrs Gravett's 0 gauge layout Arun Quay partly inspired by this place?

Just found my April 2019 Railway Modeller which features Arun Quay. You were spot on, Gordon Gravett writes that the buildings on the layout were inspired by buildings at Littlehampton backing onto the River Arun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 13/07/2020 at 14:32, Fat Controller said:

Indeed; using the carriage washer would involve propelling towards Landore, then drawing back down into the station, before setting back into the sidings to stable the train.

As an aside, I wonder who/what 'Maliphant' was named for? The only time I've encountered the name, apart from the sidings, was as the surname of someone my father car-shared with, who was from the Swansea area.

Idle internet searching made me find this string and sign up ..... more about Maliphant Sidings (and the name in general) can be found at www.maliphant.family :-)

• Like 2