Stourbridge Junction (or as a Terminus Station)

BobM

Hi Guys......

This may not 'have legs' and for now may be nothing more than a musing than anything else......but if Cambrian Street, which is my main becomes untenable, then I have a plan churning away in my head to use this......

1882273066_STOURBRIDGEJUNCTIONTRACKMAPC1950.gif.74faec133188a81136b5d4f4a473942e.gif

...as the basis for an abridge through or adapted terminus layout...any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.....as I say I am not, as yet about to rip up Cambrian Street...but keeping this on the backburner.....will try to turn this into a track plan for 00.....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi

Further to the above musing...wondering whether it would b possible to have (move) Stourbridge shed - to be alongside or adjacent to the station, where the large sidings sit on the track plan  or on the northern side of the station, even if it were just the old shed...?

unnamed.jpg.f66d841838e2b3806e76f4df8b857ea9.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Looks like an awful lot of Points young Bob, and very complicated to wire for analogue I would imagine. 

I wish you all the best with this idea though mate.

Hi Andy....

Great to hear from you and hope all are well and safe...?

I would ditch many if not all of the southern sidings shown on the actual track plan as it would be in my opinion a waste of board space, hence the idea to fit in the engine shed...?

Regards and best wishes as always

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Bob

Having grown up in Stourbridge, many’s the time I’ve pondered the idea of a model railway based on the station but I’d always concluded it would need too much space.

However, a couple of ideas.  Firstly, could you consider the extensive sidings on both the up and down lines as a fiddle yard?  Secondly, if the shed is your focus, how about modelling the junction itself with one line, to Birmingham, curving conveniently sharply and the other, perhaps with some compression giving you the location for the shed?

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Remember Bob, a Long Peco Point, which is what you would need to make it look convincing needs almost 12 inches, that's a foot in old money, and I see many lined up behind each other including a Crossing or Slip so each end is looking like 3 to 4ft. Then double that for the other end, add a 5 to 6ft Platform in the middle and you'll soon need an indoor Tennis Court, but without the Balls flying about.:o

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Remember Bob, a Long Peco Point, which is what you would need to make it look convincing needs almost 12 inches, that's a foot in old money, and I see many lined up behind each other including a Crossing or Slip so each end is looking like 3 to 4ft. Then double that for the other end, add a 5 to 6ft Platform in the middle and you'll soon need an indoor Tennis Court, but without the Balls flying about.:o

Thanks Andy....

As always you're a sensible influence .....it's a project that may just be one for the drawing board only, perhaps N gauge may be preferable, mind you if I don't move there is always the other bedroom, as I am sleeping in the 'box room' as it is!

Regards always...

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Hi Bob

Having grown up in Stourbridge, many’s the time I’ve pondered the idea of a model railway based on the station but I’d always concluded it would need too much space.

However, a couple of ideas.  Firstly, could you consider the extensive sidings on both the up and down lines as a fiddle yard?  Secondly, if the shed is your focus, how about modelling the junction itself with one line, to Birmingham, curving conveniently sharply and the other, perhaps with some compression giving you the location for the shed?

David

Cheers for the kind posting.....many thoughts are churning away over this, maybe it's just going to be a 'project'.....for my 60th last May, acquired this ex-loco condition, unrestored shed plate, still mucky and i swear I can smell soot, my hands are grubby and black when handling!

S276L283.jpg.2ee2709c7101d013aef68d337bd153a7.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought Bob. Why not go with something with a more achievable track plan but in EM. Much more of a challenge but manageable. If you go with EM rather than P4 you only need to change the wheels and build the track, in fact if you use the EMGS/PECO track you don't even need to build the track. I will say that the points are out of stock in the stores right now but Peco have started production again so they won't be out of stock long. If you are doing that track plan above solo you might not finish it mate, even if you do it in N gauge.

Regards Lez.  

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi....

You know when it is really infuriating when you cannot find something you are looking for when you know you've seen it recently? Well this evening is one of those times when Bobby is not a happy chappy!

I've searched everywhere for my midlands track plan book that certainly has Stourbridge in it, detailing in greater detail the station environs than the plan shown earlier....what I have found is the book with the shed layout...shown below....

IMG_0118.JPG.c5312f2954c627e79284816daa2a9893.JPG IMG_0119.JPG.5be0cf39f03959ad295423ad2badd431.JPG

and what I also have is something I came across in an auction is the site plans for an undated alterations to the shed, given the shown 'blackout shelter' it must be 1940's...?

IMG_0120.JPG.019058602d24c9fa708843254b5db8e0.JPG IMG_0121.JPG.914b77c6f45454725f3e9b5fe6a49daa.JPG IMG_0122.JPG.89aff4c61a26bcf302a03877b7917a37.JPG

An interesting piece of historical record...

Regards always...

Must find that Book!

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, sent a prayer to St Anthony...and it turned up...!

IMG_0123.JPG.8015ba3b0cbee89797aceadc6bf8ef5c.JPG

Will try to turn this into a anyrail track plan..just for fun!

Regards always

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 1

WOW Bobster, even in my quick calculations, and in N Gauge that is a mammoth project, but strangely enough, it is just my cup of tea.

I like complicated Point work.

I like multiple movements.

I like Siding length.

I like multiple Sidings side by side.

So for me it has legs, but the only question I still have is it's overall size.

I recon in N that would be at least a 12ft Layout, so you need some OO Peco Point Templates, and lay it out on the Lounge carpet, or Garden if you can.

Peco Point Templates can be down loaded from the Internettiiee webbiiee thingy I believe as my mate Binny did just that for his Great Central project.

One final thought = DO NOT consider Peco or Hornby Short or Set Track Points, as it will look and possibly run like poo.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

WOW Bobster, even in my quick calculations, and in N Gauge that is a mammoth project, but strangely enough, it is just my cup of tea.

I like Siding length.

I recon in N that would be at least a 12ft Layout, so you need some OO Peco Point Templates, and lay it out on the Lounge carpet, or Garden if you can.

Peco Point Templates can be down loaded from the Internettiiee webbiiee thingy I believe as my mate Binny did just that for his Great Central project.

One final thought = DO NOT consider Peco or Hornby Short or Set Track Points, as it will look and possibly run like poo.

Hi....

I too love the way everything is designed to 'flow' .....the two volumes of station track plans I have are just packed with diagrams / poinwork that just fascinate me for hours at a time!

Regards always,

Bob

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I like Siding length.

Hi....

I would dearly love to undertake this Stourbridge project, as I would dearly also wish to construct a layout that depicts dear old Aberystwyth as it was in the 1950's, this latter hope depends entirely on things returning to something akin to normal life, having the financial ability (if my pension fund recovers sufficient) to give me the means and ability plus hopefully the health to move to Borth within the next 6 or 7 years when I retire from the nursery and locate like minded friends there that wish to assist?

Both are probably 'pie in the sky'...but it's fun to plan and if anyone is searching for 'all things' Stourbridge on here, the postings may help in some small way perhaps?

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi Guys...

Just for interest the two track plans I have together for reference.....

I sometimes stand from where this image was taken an try in my minds eye superimpose over what now is the car park the carriage sidings and swing around to where the vast array of sidings sat, the Chiltern Stock now sometimes sitting there...
Stourbridge_Junction_station_geograph-2475645-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg.2b6d9b09c2e0c4e07cf936cc7cfaedc0.jpg

Copyright Ben Brooksbank

Up freight passing Stourbridge Junction station. View northward, towards Dudley and Wolverhampton, also Old Hill and Birmingham (Snow Hill); ex-GWR Worcester - Wolverhampton main line and main branch Stourbridge Junction - Birmingham Snow Hill. The Class C freight is headed by 4-6-0 No. 5959 'Mawley Hall' (built 1/36, withdrawn 9/62).

1517823093_STOURBRIDGEJUNCTIONTRACKMAPC1950.gif.7379d8535924242cb2f2cc4c4f988fa9.gif IMG_0124.JPG.74cd1cf344a272382f98330159f8bcb7.JPG

and the loco shed.....

IMG_0118.JPG.ebb3d5ac6d907f53f86eb894996c0700.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1