Spray Painting Track

Hi,

I’m close to the point at which I need to paint the track on my new layout.

Previously I have painted the rails by hand, but I have always found that this doesn’t look good and takes a long time if you have a large layout. So this time I’m looking at spraying the track, but I have a few questions:

1) What is the best colour available as a rattle can spray for rail rust and a general track colour for concrete sleepered track?

2) What is the best way of masking sleepers / rail clips so that they aren’t coloured by the rail rust colour?

I know that people will probably say that using an air brush is best, however I haven’t got an airbrush and I don’t particularly want to use an airbrush.

Simon

3 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I’m close to the point at which I need to paint the track on my new layout.

Previously I have painted the rails by hand, but I have always found that this doesn’t look good and takes a long time if you have a large layout. So this time I’m looking at spraying the track, but I have a few questions:

1) What is the best colour available as a rattle can spray for rail rust and a general track colour for concrete sleepered track?

2) What is the best way of masking sleepers / rail clips so that they aren’t coloured by the rail rust colour?

I know that people will probably say that using an air brush is best, however I haven’t got an airbrush and I don’t particularly want to use an airbrush.

Simon

A rattle can is not really ideal for painting the track due to the amount of paint it puts out. An airbrush is much more suited as you can control the vol of paint and where it lands more accurately.

The rail clips and rail are usually the same colour. Narrow masking tape could be used to cover the sleepers down the centre and at each side of the rails before the rails/chairs are painted.  Other than that it's a paint brush job......

If a rattle can be your choice, either Railmatch or Pheonix Precision I think do spray cans of suitable colours.

Edited by tractor_37260
correct text

The Railmatch spray cans really do throw out a lot of paint. Best avoided if you can.

When I was building a very large layout for a friend, he bought a device specifically designed for painting rails by hand. It made life a lot easier. I'm afraid I can't remember what it was called but someone on here may know or you could research it.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Killybegs said:

When I was building a very large layout for a friend, he bought a device specifically designed for painting rails by hand. It made life a lot easier. I'm afraid I can't remember what it was called but someone on here may know or you could research it.

I expect that this is what you mean.

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/rusty-rails-painter-724-c.asp

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a lot of track to do for my current layout.  If you haven't laid the track already, there's a fairly straightforward method I discovered on youtube using Tamiya TS-1 red/brown spray.  It's more like a lacquer than a paint, but a quick whizz over with this (outside of course) and then wipe the rails down quickly with a cloth before it dries.  No need for masking.

35049446253_308626fbbc_c.jpgrev a Tamiya Spray 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

35818290356_3c0c841a5a_c.jpgrev d ballasted track 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

50004460931_71dae85a9e_c.jpgrev L99 rear by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

Layout thread here:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Halfords Camo  Brown in a big aerosol cans is often recommended and used on a big club layout I am working on.

Looks good and well controlled output which made painting n-gauge track nice quick and easy.

Give it a go

• Like 1

Guest Half-full
11 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

Halfords Camo  Brown in a big aerosol cans is often recommended and used on a big club layout I am working on.

Looks good and well controlled output which made painting n-gauge track nice quick and easy.

Give it a go

Thats what I use too, great colour for a base or even on its own, very easy to control

• 1 year later...

I have just bumped this thread up because i'm looking for a track painting applicator similar to that mentioned above by Mick Bonwick. On utube Charlie Bishop used one to paint track, the difference is that his had a soft brush pad on it, whereas the Joes Model railway version offered by Osborns Models and others appears to be a hard wheel. It doesn't take a genius to work out that the hard wheel will squeeze the paint sideways and Im worried it will finish up on the sleepers, not perfectly on the rails and chairs as Charlie did it. Unfortunately he didnt mention where he got the product!

I edited this post but the edit has disappeared! I later found the utube demo which shows pads in the kit so Im going to order one.

Edited by RobinofLoxley

18 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

I have just bumped this thread up because i'm looking for a track painting applicator similar to that mentioned above by Mick Bonwick. On utube Charlie Bishop used one to paint track, the difference is that his had a soft brush pad on it, whereas the Joes Model railway version offered by Osborns Models and others appears to be a hard wheel. It doesn't take a genius to work out that the hard wheel will squeeze the paint sideways and Im worried it will finish up on the sleepers, not perfectly on the rails and chairs as Charlie did it. Unfortunately he didnt mention where he got the product!

I edited this post but the edit has disappeared! I later found the utube demo which shows pads in the kit so Im going to order one.

If you are planning to order from Osborns Models may I suggest that you check their Trustpilot Reviews before doing so? 

3 hours ago, Barclay said:

If you are planning to order from Osborns Models may I suggest that you check their Trustpilot Reviews before doing so? 

They dont have any anyway. In fact I cant locate an alternative in the UK, so I have mailed Joes Trains to ask who they sell to in the UK, if anyone.

To which the answer was no one. Osborns  models not active on this area. So anyone wanting one will have to order it direct. I think Joes trains would be happy to be contacted by someone in the trade for UK sales

Edited by RobinofLoxley
Extra info

• 2 weeks later...