How to read Loco CV's

model-trains

Hi guys

I have Digikeijs DR5000 for the new layout I am building.

I have just purchased a new/secondhand loco and want to read/possibly write the CV's, I have never done this before.

Any help would be very appreciated

Thanks in advance

Paul

I have managed to set up a program track from the terminal on the DR5000

I have also managed to open the programming properties.

So that I do not cock things up I refer to the programming options

Top line Address: Read the Loco address or write the loco address (Straight forward)

Next is CV

> Number

> Value

I am not sure what to add here?

Is it possible to bring up a list of all CV's settings for each loco?

29 minutes ago, model-trains said:

I have managed to set up a program track from the terminal on the DR5000

I have also managed to open the programming properties.

So that I do not cock things up I refer to the programming options

Top line Address: Read the Loco address or write the loco address (Straight forward)

Next is CV

> Number

> Value

Is it possible to bring up a list of all CV's settings for each loco?

No and yes-if.    

No, you can't just ask a decoder for all its CV's.   If you have a manual for the decoder in question, in principle, you can step through every one, and record it, and from the manual determine what adjustments you might want to make.  You'll be there for hours recording everything manually for a simple decoder, and not finish in a day for a complicated one. 

Yes, if you're prepared to connect software to the system.  Install JMRI on a computer, connect it to your DR5000, and use the DecoderPro part of JMRI.  That has details for a lot of decoders (but not every decoder, and some cheap types tend not to be covered).  If its possible to determine the decoder from reading CV's, then DecoderPro has a go, and offers those decoder types which are a match to what it can read.  (Some decoder makers are brilliant, their CV's let the user identify the exact decoder, some are useless, the only identification may be "maker"). 

It is not clear what you are trying to achieve. 

- Nigel

Thank you Nigel

I will come back to the JMRI part tomorrow.

I have managed to get the new/second hand loco sorted, will check sounds tomorrow. Once I get the one complete I will work through the others with sound.

Its good to be back in the engine shed.

Thank you for your help.

Paul

Next is CV

> Number

> Value

Apologies if this is a bit Noddy for you, but some explanation is better than none.

A CV is a characteristic of a decoder which controls what the decoder does. Each CV controls a particular  part of the decoder functionality.

CV Numbers are standard designations set by NMRA e.g. CV 1 is the decoder short address, CV 2 is kick start voltage, CV 3 is Acceleration, etc and so on. Some are set by NMRA as standards and some are used by manufacturers for their own purposes, which is where one decoder can differ from another e.g. volume adjustment or decoder reset. You enter the number of the CV you want to change.

CV Value is the allowable range of values a CV can have. Some can have a range of values from 0-255, some are much more restricted.

Hi guys

Sorry not got back to reply on here, I downloaded JMRI as Nigel mentioned, but wasn't sure what I was doing, then I remembered Rob I have Hornby RailMaster, not the best of software, bu not bad for the money, lack of Loco detection and promise after promise did it for me. That said the CV reading from within RailMaster is brilliant, read all CV's, CV Name, Value and Result string in a table I could print out so that seemed a good idea. First I was going to set up RailMaster along side DR5000 DIGICentral, but it meant me changing and re-configuring com ports so I left it, until today, I set it up on the laptop in no time at all, and have read 4 of my 10 loco CV's already and have print outs of each.

I started the new layout with good intentions, 2019 to Easter, then a little more end of year. I got back to it January this year, but we had a new kitchen installed February/March so one thing after another, covid as well there was no progress with the trains/layout.

I am now ready to start building the layout again board 1 of 4 is ready, board 2 of 4 has track laid but needs 18 point motors installing and two reverse loops completing. Board 3 and 4 has track mostly laid so once I get past board 2 I should be able to make progress. I am looking forward to starting and keeping going this time.

Back to CV's, I can read and write them now, I have printed list of some to start with, I will just have to suss out what what to alter to lower the sound on some locos to get a balance between them.

Paul

1 hour ago, model-trains said:

Hi guys

Sorry not got back to reply on here, I downloaded JMRI as Nigel mentioned, but wasn't sure what I was doing, then I remembered Rob I have Hornby RailMaster, not the best of software, bu not bad for the money, lack of Loco detection and promise after promise did it for me. That said the CV reading from within RailMaster is brilliant, read all CV's, CV Name, Value and Result string in a table I could print out so that seemed a good idea. ………….

Back to CV's, I can read and write them now, I have printed list of some to start with, I will just have to suss out what what to alter to lower the sound on some locos to get a balance between them.

I'd be very surprised if RailMaster can handle sound settings on anything other than Hornby TTS decoders.  

Whilst "overall volume" is simple,  the sequence of steps to set sound levels of specific features on an ESU LokSound decoder is complex, requiring the setting of specific index values before accessing the CV in question (someone spent a year writing the code to do it in JMRI).  Zimo's are a bit simpler, but still pretty complicated.  Both have very lengthy manuals, and many hundreds of CV's. 

There is an out of date manual for JMRI.  It covers enough of how it works.  You need the "DecoderPro" bits. 

- Nigel