Point me please

Back to the hobby after 40 years away, the PECO catalogue looks pretty much the same to me and the price list too, although the numbers got bigger.

Can anyone help?  If I wanted to buy ready made OO electrofrog turnouts *without* having to spend any time adding "recommended modifications to improve reliability over time" - what options do I have (other than crowd-funding a start-up or calling in a favour from Elon Musk)

Thanks for any wise words !

• RMweb Premium

Well, you could always ignore the "recommended modifications to improve reliability over time", as I suspect many people do! :jester:

Best of luck ....

• Agree 3

My current micro layout only uses one Peco O gauge point. I do switch the frog/closure rail assembly separately rather than rely on the rail to rail contact but that is because I am using a Tortoise motor so I may as well use the in built relay. However this might be a belt and braces approach and many people will use the point straight out of the box without any problems. 

• RMweb Premium

You don’t mention which scale you’re working in. As you note the Peco catalogue and products are still available 40 years on. There’s no recommended modifications to improve reliability, the product works just fine. What you will see is more variety in point motors, the Peco stuff is all engineered to work together so like with like will give you a good launch pad. The other big change is the advent of DCC over the last 15-20 years, if you’re coming back starting with DC, it’s much as you left 40 years ago.

Edited by PMP

• RMweb Gold

Welcome back; I also returned a few years ago after a long hiatus.  You'll notice that Peco have introduced a new code 75 chaired track with 'Unifrog' turnouts, live frogs but they 'switch' the current like insulfrogs, good idea.

RTR standards of realism and running quality/reliability are very much improved, but that locos have space inside for DCC chips, speakers, and so on so are a bit lightweight; if you are working with DC, it's an idea to remove the 'DCC ready' circuit boards and wire direct from the pickups to the motor and use the space. for ballast.  NEM couplings are pretty much universal but retrofitting them to any older stock you may still have is sometimes problematic.  Parkside, as well as doing wagon kits, sell dovetail mounting blocks for them which can be trimmed or packed for many situations, but bogie stock may need some bodging.  

As you've seen from the Peco catalogue, some old friends are still with us, as are some from the Hornby catalogue in the Railroad range.  DCC is wonderful but expensive; I'm a poor pensioner so stick with DC using the same Gaugemaster controller I had back in the day; it is bombproof reliable and provides very good slow running.  There has been little in the way of improvement to DC tech, it's all been concentrated on DCC, but Hornby are about to introduce a DC analogue setup in which a power supply to the track is controlled from your smartphone via Bluetooth and an app under the H & M banner which may be of interest to you.

Another big change you'll notice is that there are fewer but better shops, and the plethora of small suppliers of fascinating bits and details you used to see on exhibition stands are no more.  All that has moved on line, as has the 'box shifting' part of the trade, and much of your communication with manufacturers as well.  Many of the kit manufacturers you remember have faded from the scene, some gone to a better place, some just given up, and Coopercraft have become involved with a chap who seems incapable of supplying items once you've paid for them, beware! 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

and the plethora of small suppliers of fascinating bits and details you used to see on exhibition stands are no more.  All that has moved on line, as has the 'box shifting' part of the trade, 

With a statement like that it’s easy to tell who doesn’t actually go to exhibitions, the real position is most of the detail suppliers attend exhibitions, as do the big retailers.

• RMweb Premium

You don't HAVE TO do any modifications at all!

You'll find plenty of arguments for both sides of the discussion, some going to the trouble to modify points, others not doing so.

There is a 3rd option. That is to just use them as they come out the box. Then you can join the chorus later of 'why do my trains stall on points'? There are many questions on this topic.

It's easy to prepare the points for modification, while they are still in your hand. It's much easier then, rather than finding out after you have ballasted the track and weathered/painted it.

But the hobby of model railways have no 'rules' on these matters, the choice is 100% yours and perhaps learn to live with the consequences!

• Like 3