Weathering EWS class 08

Hi,

I'm after some advice on weathering the above Bachmann loco which is currently in pristine condition. I don't own an airbrush so will have to be done by hand. I don't have much experience although through trial and error I have achieved reasonable results on a couple of ews wagons. I'm just after a general faded and used look. My current thought is to use frame dirt for the lower portion and either wipe on/wipe off or dry brush to the desired level. Use a black wash to emphasise dirt in grilles and panel gaps etc. My main query is how best to achieve the faded appearance of the maroon colour. Would giving it a white wash of either Humbrol wash or a thinned acrylic be my best option? Any other suggestions welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

This video gives a great insight to weathering/fading without the use of an airbrush. If you watch from 4.16 onwards this will show you technique and end result of what I’m assuming you’re looking to achieve. Hope this helps :good:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/08/2020 at 15:24, Midnight-Freight said:

Hi,

I'm after some advice on weathering the above Bachmann loco which is currently in pristine condition. I don't own an airbrush so will have to be done by hand. I don't have much experience although through trial and error I have achieved reasonable results on a couple of ews wagons. I'm just after a general faded and used look. My current thought is to use frame dirt for the lower portion and either wipe on/wipe off or dry brush to the desired level. Use a black wash to emphasise dirt in grilles and panel gaps etc. My main query is how best to achieve the faded appearance of the maroon colour. Would giving it a white wash of either Humbrol wash or a thinned acrylic be my best option? Any other suggestions welcome.

I would start by purchasing the Tamiya panel lines black and brown. Great products that can be used all over panels  as well as the panel lines. Simply apply to a panel and remove what you don’t want by brush dipped in white spirit, or cloth with the same. You can apply rainwash type streaking very easily.

I also use the Humbrol weathering powers which are good enough, better quality products are available though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Shoey said:

This video gives a great insight to weathering/fading without the use of an airbrush. If you watch from 4.16 onwards this will show you technique and end result of what I’m assuming you’re looking to achieve. Hope this helps :good:

That's great and gives me an idea of where to start.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1