Layout Planning and Design O gauge Peco Setrack

Dzine

Hi Folks, I,m working on a minimum space O gauge design at the moment and want to check that an Heljan Class 25 will go round Peco's 40" radius curves and points without binding or coupling issues.  I suspect it's a big ask  on such a tight curve but would welcome advice from anyone who's had the relevant experience.  Kind regards Paul

• RMweb Gold

Without binding most Heljan stuff will. I have run a class 60 round Peco curves quite happily. Couplings are another issue though as most diesels overhang far more than little tank locos or shunters. You will need to add another link at least or wind the coupling out as far as they will go without dropping then off the threaded part. You may still get a few occasions where the loco will flip the wagons off if the buffers lock up. 

I also found that things like the Heljan OAA / VAA's had a problem where there isn't enough side play in the Hook through the Chassis, so although you can wind out the Screw, and the Buffers are apart it still derails.

As Mark says above, a small Tank Loco, and I've found that even an 08 will be fine, but only with the older 10ftWB Vans / Wagons etc.

Pushing is generally a no no on this radius, although that may have been just me.

The 25 in the pic with the Oil Tanks was hit and miss, re arranging them in a different order often helped, and the first wagon was always tight with the Loco as they are longer than a 10ft Van, but shorter than an OAA etc. You can also judge from the last pic with the OAA how tight it is to the 08.

I hope my ramblings are of some help Paul.

PS. I have now done away with the curved end.

IMG_5862.JPG.00e7322104576ababa891795d713e8ef.JPG

IMG_5981.JPG.90f8e3c30eff16cb2e279f082d693f40.JPG

IMG_5929.JPG.3f0b5f6f8f56815df1e45d582253f27d.JPG

IMG_6078.JPG.b9f17bf1a9343f1aa97ab0c25293935b.JPG

• Like 3