A2/1 from A2/2. Possible?

I’m pondering whether when Hornby’s A2/2 is released whether much effort will be required to convert it into one of the quartet of A2/1s that Thompson converted from V2s whilst already under construction. Superficially they seem very similar with the wedge front cab though obviously later A2/3 style smoke deflectors were added.

I’m unaware of significant differences although there were certainly a few different boiler diagrams knocking about at the time. 

Davy.

Edited by Mad McCann

It is a different 41.25 sq ft grate boiler, so the firebox section should be slightly shorter, might be possible to finagle that when substituting the wedge fronted cab, overall wheelbase should be slightly shorter too. Doubtless endless other detail aspects.

But the wedge fronted cab is 'the big difference' on the loco, so if that can be neatly fitted I suspect it will pass all but the most critical inspection. Going for the original six wheel tenders would definitely nail it.

• Thanks 1

A2/1 Duke of Rothesay using a Resin V2 body and other etched bits from Grame King . It uses a modified Bachmann A2 chassis and a modified Hornby B1 Tender.

post-7186-0-96490900-1498227316.jpg

Highland Chieftain same as above, but using the Bachmann A2 Tender . Bachmann shot themselves in the foot ignoring Thompsons A2's they had half the Loco or more already in existence.

post-7186-0-26571000-1425910858_thumb.jpgpost-7186-0-69744900-1425910864_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1