Paint, Maskol, & Farish bodyshells

Hi,

I'm in the process of re-vinyling a couple of Farish CL150's into the newish 'white' Northern Rail livery.
One of them will need the base livery repainted because it will show through the white vinyl.

So some questions.

Is Maskol a good product to mask the windows and roof?
Can a can of 'Halfords' white car paint be used on the body shell without issues? (It won't be Halfords but a US equivalent)
I also have a bottle of Vallejo White acrylic, but that will have to be brushed on, as I don't have an airbrush. Would that be better than the rattle can?

I wanted to get hold of a spray can of Vallejo White primer but these are out of stock everywhere I've looked.

Thanks,

John P

The printing on Farish bodyshells can also be a little heavy, especially on liveries with multiple colours printed on. It’s usually worth giving the edges of livery elements a rub down with fine wet and dry to smooth these ‘steps’ between layers. Logos and numbers usually come away with a bit of thinner and a cotton but. The more prep you do, the better your finish will be.

If the Halfords paint is primer it might be a bit too Matt to overlay vinyls on. If you have a games workshop near you, they have a range of satin sprays that might be better suited.

Maskol is great, but you can’t beat high quality masking tape cut with a sharp blade to mask windows.

Personally, I wouldn’t try brush painting over a pre-printed shell - you are lovely to be disappointed with the result.