A SMALL SLICE OF SPIEZ IN HO SCALE

swisspeat

Had a bit of a photo session today.

Wondering about making a "clip fit" extension on the front of the baseboard to take platform 4/5 with a canopy so that the camera lens could be poked along the platform to give the true "train watching" experience at Spiez.

Those yellow ballast wagons need weathering!

IMG_7880.JPG

IMG_7870.JPG

IMG_7813.JPG

• Like 7

Thanks Trevor.

An overall view might be a little disappointing but I will take some more photos later on in the week.

basically this layout is simply the fiddle yard for my Swiss lockdown layout that appeared on this Forum towards the beginning of lockdown.

I set myself the challenge of trying to make storage sidings interesting to look at.

I now have a 3 m end to end layout that for the first time that has given me somewhere to run the locos I bought over the previous decade. It is a lot of fun!

Peter

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swisspeat said:

Thanks Trevor.

An overall view might be a little disappointing but I will take some more photos later on in the week.

basically this layout is simply the fiddle yard for my Swiss lockdown layout that appeared on this Forum towards the beginning of lockdown.

I set myself the challenge of trying to make storage sidings interesting to look at.

I now have a 3 m end to end layout that for the first time that has given me somewhere to run the locos I bought over the previous decade. It is a lot of fun!

Peter

I really like the idea of a scenic fiddle yard. To me that seems like the optimum use of space. I think you have captured the feel of Spiez very well

• Thanks 1

Here is an almost overall view of the storage yard scenic backdrop of Spiez station...

I have done quite a bit more detailing recently (taken after this picture was taken) of which I will post photos asap.

Enjoy your Swiss modelling...

Pete

IMG_7689.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, swisspeat said:

A few of the recent details added.

Incidentally the backscene has been assembled from photos taken at the real location in August stuck to a couple of pieces of mounting cardboard.

IMG_7792.JPG

IMG_7794.JPG

IMG_7769.JPG

Ahh, the obligatory ski accident victim:D:rolleyes:. Very nice work, I am trying hard to resist buying any more Swiss stock until I have room for a layout but the electric shunter looks very tempting. Simon

Thanks.

The SBB Cargo Eem 923 is a Model by HAG as you probably know. Named Stockhorn after the nearby mountain.

After 18 months I had to return it to the manufacturer because the driving axle became detached from the motor drive wheel. A common fault I understand. 

Fun to use, oddly Sound is started up on F7. 

I fitted the mirrors yesterday. By golly that was fiddly.

Hi Pete,

Great minds think alike. A wet day yesterday found me fitting mirrors to my Rietz post bus which was straightforward, I then set about some of the lorrys for my rolling highway train, What a pain these proved to be, am I the only person who buys super glue that dosen't  work. In the end I used PVA and left them overnight I awoke this morning to a perfect result.

Love the SBB Vectron,  as you know mine has been returned to Roco with a sound problem which was 12 weeks ago. Nothing been heard since dispite a couple of emails sent.

This little project has turned out very well and I will let you off re the catenary on this occasion.

Are you already planning the next episode?

Craig.

Hi Craig.

No. I struggle with Superglue too. Rarely ever use it. Seems to have dried by the time I have it on the piece!

My mirrors were fixed with good quality PVA (not poundshop diluted stuff) too. Dried nicely.

Buses and lorries. They look so much better with mirrors though you do have to cut out space for the mirrors in the plastic tray in their packaging otherwise they fold flat when you put the vehicle back in the box.

Next stage for the layout - no idea yet!

:-)

Peter

Thanks everyone for comments made plus thumbs up.

Here is a picture of the road above Spiez station which I loosley based mine on.

For good measure I saw one of the BLS 465s in their latest livery. I expect this to appear in the Roco catalogue sometime but I doubt if I will buy one! That said I have a BLS 465 in Stockhorn livery by Roco and the sound has two platform announcements. One is so good I can imagine myself at Spiez station. Those were the days.....

Pete

IMG_6919.JPG

IMG_6927.JPG

• Like 3

An excellent photo, but I can't in all honesty "like" it because of the content. What a shame!! Official vandalism, to do that to those beautiful blue locos. I despair of the modern BLS!! I was a big fan of the railway until they rebuilt Därligen and introduced that awful fluorescent green. I feel sure some of you out there will like it, but not me. Sorry. Trevor

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...

Hello Peter.

the laser cut chalet kit is by Noch. It went together very well indeed but it did cost around £100.

the garden was made from bits and bobs by JTT, Busch, Noch and odds and ends collected over 5he last decade.

thanks for your interest.

regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Fancy painting the 465s in that lurid green!  How awful.  Who's idea was that?!  To me, BLS locos should be brown.  I saw a few on my 2018 trip and was able to photograph some as well.

I'm making up short slide shows to go on my YouTube channel, but haven't yet got to Spiez.  However, I have done Basel and Thun, and more pictures will be done in due course.  Links to the ones already on YouTube are here:

TTFN

Ron.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2021 at 19:53, 45669 said:

Fancy painting the 465s in that lurid green!  How awful.  Who's idea was that?!  To me, BLS locos should be brown.  I saw a few on my 2018 trip and was able to photograph some as well.

TTFN

Ron.

I don't know anyone who likes the horrible flourescent green. I and I suspect many others are disappointed by the current BLS branding /livery. For example the Lötschberg car carrying driving trailers look horrible in the current drab grey with bright green cab. The blue and creamy white was so much more pleasant on the eye.  

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 17:47, shedman said:

An excellent photo, but I can't in all honesty "like" it because of the content. What a shame!! Official vandalism, to do that to those beautiful blue locos. I despair of the modern BLS!! I was a big fan of the railway until they rebuilt Därligen and introduced that awful fluorescent green. I feel sure some of you out there will like it, but not me. Sorry. Trevor

Yes, who is it that decides a new livery colour should be as lurid and unpleasant as possible? There are some gorgeous greens in existence but the BLS's choice isn't one of them. The TPC who runs the former AOMC, ASD and AL lines have also gone for a livery that includes this god-awful colour. What wrong with Swiss railway company executives these days? Are they all colour blind?

Edited by Swissrail
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2021 at 15:39, Swissrail said:

Yes, who is it that decides a new livery colour should be as lurid and unpleasant as possible? There are some gorgeous greens in existence but the BLS's choice isn't one of them. The TPC who runs the former AOMC, ASD and AL lines have also gone for a livery that includes this god-awful colour. What wrong with Swiss railway company executives these days? Are they all colour blind?

I must admit I'm back in the "good old days" of brown locos and that gorgeous blue/ cream coach livery .  Was in Interlaken in 1978, 88 and 90. A great time to see the trains . That Flourescent green is ghastly . Quite unlike the Swiss to have total disregard to heritage , suspect a foreing image company involved !

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1