Dapol Class 73 DCC fitting

Peter749

Has anyone fitted DCC to a Dapol Class 73?

I have three different locos and I put a 21 pin Bachman Decoder in to one of them

The cab lights at both ends stay on all the time and if I switch the route lights on they only light at one end irrespective of direction

Anybody else had a problem

Peter

The originals had cab lights that stayed on regardless of any other settings. Dapol's "solution" was to tell users to put some electrical insulation tape over the cab light contacts. These also had the quirk that the lights at the wrong ends lit up when on DCC - the simple solution was to resolder the brush wires in reverse order. This meant that if the decoder was removed and a blanking plug put in, the lights would once again be reversed! They also never offered replacement pcb's to the newer design.

For the newer models, a 4-function decoder should work forward and reverse headcodes, and forward and reverse cab lights. You may have  to check the decoder to see whether it has powered or logical outputs for the 3rd and 4th function outputs.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I bought a DCC fitted E6004 (4D-006-010D) back in October from a well known retailer. This arrived DOA, so was sent back for repair. Was advised that the Decoder was not fitted correctly. Received it back & after programming to an address it worked twice before dying again. Sent back for replacement. This arrived today. Set it up again & was running fine. Then took it off Layout to fit the Buffer beam details. When put back on Track & surprise, surprise wouldn't work. The only way to get it working was to re programme the  address from the start point of not knowing address. My other Loco's/EMU's , Hornby 2BIL,2HAL & S15. Bachmann N Class & Heljan Class 33 all work fine. Confused unless I have receive another dodgy one. Any ideas Guy's.