FS Italia - Rail ferries in HO

Settebello

While ( trying!) to catalogue my recent photos, I came across some shots of a rare modeling subject i though might be of interest- Rail ferries

The link between the Italian mainland ( Villa San Giovanni) and Sicily Messina) still sees fairly frequent passenger rail traffic, with both day and night train services as well as sporadic rail freight movements.

A Messina based group, the Associazione Ferrovie Siciliane embarked on a project to model to model the station and ferry terminal complex at their home town as well as the ferry boats that travelled between Villa S.G. And Messina.

I had the pleasure of seeing the layout, ( then under construction) as well as their stand showing further examples of their beautifully built vessels at the Verona Model expo show back in 2017. Credit to the club for transporting it all a mere 1,200 kilometers!!

( I would consider both the Verona Model expo show as well as the Hobby model Expo exhibition in Novegro( Milan) as two regular shows it would be worth planning a weekend around- both are general model shows with a very strong model railway presence....anyway, enough from me! Hope you all enjoy the pics.

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I happened to be thinking along the lines of a compact (-ish) Italian train ferry layout just the other week.

The attached plan shows the idea - the ferry (pink tracks) is actually a three-track cassette, with each track long enough for two carriages, enabling a variety of trains to be swapped in and out.  These would be shunted from the ferry into the headshunt, and from there assembled in the hidden loop before being pushed round the loop into the 3 platform station.

The entrances to the loop would be hidden by curved road access ramps and buildings (similar to those at the Villa San Giovanni terminal) with backscene behind.

The ferry itself would only be partly built, disappearing into the backscene.

italy_ferry_plan.jpg