Multi Period layouts?

I have half an idea for layout, based roughly on Millburn yard in Inverness, I don't intend for it to be an authentic recreation as I don't have the space for one thing.  

Not knowing a huge amount the infrastructure of real railways, would a lot of changed between say the early 1990's and now?  

In scenery terms changes are pretty obvious, road vehicles, advertising and so can easily date a layout.  

But the actual infrastructure, the track, the signals and so, would they be much different? 

I would say from 1900 to the 1960s or early 1970s the basic infrastructure would have remained unchanged but there seems to have been a rolling program of rationalisation from the 1980s untill now and not directly end of steam and Dr Beaching related. 

My period should have been the 1970s blue diesel era but looking now 40 years on its changed beyond all recognition from that period with working practices and advances in technology like signalling which had remained on the whole intact untill the 1980s and track changed due to traffic demands.

I would think if you change small details like vehicle ect. You could possibly get away with a period from 1900 to 1960s or even 1970s as things like turn tables and engine sheds were often still there but used for storing condemned stock like wood wagons etc.

May be that carriage siding that was full of beautiful old carriage stock in 1900 could be a reception siding for a scrap merchant with some old locos lined up ready for or even being cut up in the late 1960s early 1970s

Hope that gives you something to think about.

• Like 1

I think it depends on how accurately you want to replicate Millburn Yard, which depends on the space that you have available.  I used to live in Inverness in the 1980s and on the whole, I'm tempted to say that not too much has changed, but some things have.  Back in the 1980s there was no container yard being used by DRS to load Stobart rail containers.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what was there - perhaps just a couple of overgrown sidings.  The container loading is now clearly visible from Morrison's car park, but of course the supermarket and the adjacent extension to the Eastgate Shopping centre didn't exist back in the 1980s - I think they were both built in the early 2000s.  There was however at that time Motorail loading facilities in Inverness station to the south of Platform 1, which have now gone.  I seem to recall that what remained of the Harbour Branch was still extant back at that time, but I think was rarely used - I'm not sure if that is still there and connected to the rest of the network.

However, looking across towards Millburn Yard from Millburn Road, I don't think there has been radical changes to the track layout that would preclude you forming a plausible dual era layout.  I doubt that there is much signalling within the yard itself and I can't recall when semaphore signalling was replaced with colour light signalling.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jhock said:

I have half an idea for layout, based roughly on Millburn yard in Inverness, I don't intend for it to be an authentic recreation as I don't have the space for one thing.  

Not knowing a huge amount the infrastructure of real railways, would a lot of changed between say the early 1990's and now?  

In scenery terms changes are pretty obvious, road vehicles, advertising and so can easily date a layout.  

But the actual infrastructure, the track, the signals and so, would they be much different? 

By not trying to be entirely authentic, you've given yourself a little slack.

I have been to the area but am only slightly familiar with it. I remember some sort of Stobart depot though. Judging from a previous comment, this would have been something else back in 1990, so an alternative set of buildings which can simply be replaced would be more than reasonable.

The main running lines may (but not necessarily) have changed from concrete to wooden sleepers, but would have used flatbottom rail, but there was plenty of concrete around then.

Yards would have been & still are mainly bullhead rail on wooden sleeper track, so I see no reason why the same set of trackwork would not look reasonable for both periods.

Are there any other buildings/structures which create the look of the area, like an old warehouse? Maybe a signal box which was disused then but more distraught or even gone now?

If you can get these right then you should have something you are pleased with.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jhock said:

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Maybe a signal box which was disused then but more distraught or even gone now?  If you can get these right then you should have something you are pleased with.

It appears that there were some small track changes in the mid-1980s in advance of re-signalling in 1987, which is when the Inverness Signalling Centre opened (https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/I/Inverness_Signalling_Centre/) so I think the signalling would be fairly constant over the suggested period 1990 - date.

Edited by Dungrange
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dungrange said:

I seem to recall that what remained of the Harbour Branch was still extant back at that time, but I think was rarely used - I'm not sure if that is still there and connected to the rest of the network

The stub was used for the Safeway container traffic in the late 90s/early 2000s, and was a domestic coal depot prior to the end of speedlink. A short section still remains, but it is severed from the main line.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Dungrange said:

It appears that there were some small track changes in the mid-1980s in advance of re-signalling in 1987, which is when the Inverness Signalling Centre opened (https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/I/Inverness_Signalling_Centre/) so I think the signalling would be fairly constant over the suggested period 1990 - date.

@jhock If you need details of the signalling, look at https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/archivesignals/brscot.php and scroll down to 1987.  Click on the '1987' before 'Inverness Phase 2 commissioning' and it will take you to a Special Notice, the end of which has a track plan showing what is controlled by the Inverness Signalling Centre - ie where all the signals are and what type of signals.  This would presumably be as things were at the start of your time period, but the Freight Depot and No 1 and No 2 sidings adjacent to Platform 1 (the old Motorail terminal) most likely disappeared at some point in your time frame.

2 hours ago, Railfreight1998 said:

The stub was used for the Safeway container traffic in the late 90s/early 2000s, and was a domestic coal depot prior to the end of speedlink. A short section still remains, but it is severed from the main line.

I was aware that the remains of the harbour branch had been used for coal, but I don't recall ever having seen a train there at the times I visited the station.  The Safeway trains were a bit after my time there, but I do recall having been told that's where they were unloaded.  The signal plan referred to above, shows how the former Harbour Branch was connected in 1987.

• Like 2

On 04/10/2020 at 20:38, jhock said:

Hi there,

While an entirely different proposition to the yard you are interested in, you might find my thread "Lower Thames Yard" of interest regarding the problems and pitfalls when modelling multiple periods.

I am modelling  a location in 1960-2, 1990-2 and 2016-22.

The most modern period is quite wide as I am not yet sure on the best recent years to home in on!

Have fun,

Best regards

Paul 

• Like 2