Broadhaven - another route to the Continent

SteveyDee68

On 09/06/2021 at 07:51, Zomboid said:

I maintain that "The Optimistic Pencil" would be a great name for a model pub...

If I can squeeze one in amongst all the trackwork, I'm definitely going to include one! 

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Defunct emoji!

Mini update especially for @Chimer - I've spent a bit of time tonight on Xtrkcad, and other than defining the room size have not really had much success with using it! Possibly one problem is that it is not PECO track but American style 'turnouts' with numbers, but I have to admit defeat. Of course, it is also very hot up here in the loft which doesn't help when trying to think!

So, for tonight at least, I shall give up for now and simply enjoy the sound of banging two bricks together...

FANK --- YOU --- !!!

Steve S

• RMweb Gold
On 09/06/2021 at 07:51, Zomboid said:

I maintain that "The Optimistic Pencil" would be a great name for a model pub...

The nearest pub to the Newhaven stations is The Engineer - although why it is Brunel at Bristol with no railway element I don't know. I have only just noticed the fancy chimneys. 

The Engineer Newhaven 800px.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
Additional info
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Mini update especially for @Chimer - I've spent a bit of time tonight on Xtrkcad, and other than defining the room size have not really had much success with using it! Possibly one problem is that it is not PECO track but American style 'turnouts' with numbers, but I have to admit defeat. Of course, it is also very hot up here in the loft which doesn't help when trying to think!

So, for tonight at least, I shall give up for now and simply enjoy the sound of banging two bricks together...

FANK --- YOU --- !!!

Steve S

PM sent .......

• Thanks 1

Yet more job applications taking up precious modelling time ... I must draw and scan my latest design efforts, play with Xtrkcad thanks to @Chimer's help with training (no pun intended) materials, and attempt to put my drawings into that to produce scale drawings ...

Before I start considering a rather mad idea I've had after looking once again at Millway Dock by Kevin @Hampshire Hog, which I have long been impressed with, due to its long lateral lines along the dockside with multiple tracks serving the quay. Kevin runs the baggage coaches for boat trains along his quayside ... 

I am imagining Broadhaven station itself being a slightly beefed up "Minories" affair, with a shunting yard in front where freight trains are sorted and reversed to the docks. Train ferry coaches arrive into the station, where non-ferry stock is removed, before the train is reversed to the docks to the ferry. To reach the ferry berth itself, trains must use the quayside lines through the docks, which are all inset and therefore unsuitable for electric locomotives. The 'main' dockside route to the ferry has a parallel 'loop' line to assist shunting stock from, with sidings crossing the 'main' route via diamond crossings into various buildings. I can envisage a mixture of dockside buildings from both Ipswich Wet Quay and copied inspired by those on Millway Dock, the whole suggesting shades of Weymouth!

Up until now, I have not considered "disconnecting" the ferry from the terminus, but on reflection it might be the solution! I will have to look again at photos of Weymouth, and decide upon a minimum radius to use for curves along the docks branch so that coaches do not have an unrealistic overhang around curves.

HOURS OF FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Missing word (in bold!!)

• 2 weeks later...

@SteveyDee68 - it's looking good! :-)

Please don't do what I did for my own "dockside Minories" design, and go bonkers with squeezing in sidings in every possible space!

image.png.03960911477b9963ec3ee050851a0028.png

It's only after all that fiddling about I've realised that the outbound route from the dockside (bottom left) would have to go across nine sets of points to get out of the terminus.

Minories Maximus?

• Friendly/supportive 1

@KeithMacdonald - thank you for the track plan. It really doesn’t seem like two weeks ago I was saying about getting my own full size plan drawn up to scale and scanning it into here!

Looking at it, the inner line of the curve is that to the docks, with a three platform terminus served by a double track approach. Counting platforms from the top, platform 1 has access to several sidings - parcels! - and together with platform 2 would be the busiest, serving the majority of services. Platform 3 accepts boat train traffic, as it has direct access to the dock branch. Below platform 3 there are another two platforms (platforms 4 and 5); this is where my planning idea is different, in that I would have perhaps two or three marshalling loops simply for arriving/departing goods trains to reverse to/from the dock branch, without interfering with passenger traffic. Thank you for the plan though - something for me to look at and play around with!!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eureka moment occured ...

Build the d@mn ferry, then worry about the terminus.

Right. I can stop worrying about this for the moment, until I have sorted out the ship itself!

DON'T EXPECT TO SEE ANYTHING UPDATED HERE FOR A GOOD WHILE!*

* And with that statement I have taken the pressure off to solve the track design issues for the time being!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/07/2021 at 21:06, SteveyDee68 said:

Eureka moment occured ...

Build the d@mn ferry, then worry about the terminus.

Right. I can stop worrying about this for the moment, until I have sorted out the ship itself!

DON'T EXPECT TO SEE ANYTHING UPDATED HERE FOR A GOOD WHILE!*

* And with that statement I have taken the pressure off to solve the track design issues for the time being!

At 143m the Newhaven ferries are among the smallest on the cross-Channel routes. They couldn't be any bigger as, when the weather is rough, they have to turn in the harbour, rather than backing out and reversing round the breakwater. You can see what a tight fit it is from this photo. There are only a few metres at either end as the bow-thrusters turn them.

20 Newhaven Harbour 31 10 2013.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/07/2021 at 14:23, phil_sutters said:

At 143m the Newhaven ferries are among the smallest on the cross-Channel routes......There are only a few metres at either end as the bow-thrusters turn them.

Zero metres down aft as they land the stern on some heavy duty fenders and have lines out to help swing her in the Harbour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4kQ7-hbKZI

The port is so restrictive the can't even have the ferry berth parallel to the quay as they need to be at an angle for the bow door to line up with the linkspan so there is a Yokohama fender down aft keeping the stern off the quay.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/07/2021 at 19:03, Red Fox said:

Zero metres down aft as they land the stern on some heavy duty fenders and have lines out to help swing her in the Harbour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4kQ7-hbKZI

The port is so restrictive the can't even have the ferry berth parallel to the quay as they need to be at an angle for the bow door to line up with the linkspan so there is a Yokohama fender down aft keeping the stern off the quay.

Nice video - rather speedy exit! Rapidly followed by the pilot boat Pelorus. 

If like me you didn't know what a Yokohama fender looks like, I have found a piccie of the pair used. The actual berth & linkspan are off to the left

Yokohama fenders, Newhaven port 8 11 2012.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
Additional info & replacing missing photo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

My original plan was to give over the whole of the loft to this layout; anyone reading my Castlebrook Sidings thread will have realised that I have been busy reconfiguring the loft to hold my office/studio area and a modelling workbench/storage area, with a central work unit upon which baseboards up to five feet long might be built.

Broadhaven has not, however, been abandoned as a concept! Instead, I am looking to build it as a portable layout, with a view to - maybe, one day, if good enough - exhibit it!

First, though, I need to build the ferry and ferry berth as the first module, to provide "proof of concept" - and my new central work station in the loft will be just the right length to be doing that on!

HOURS OF FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Makes more sense!
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Completely off-piste and probably the result of having "no, it's not-Covid" relegate me to bed for the past 60+ hours...

Broadhaven is my imaginary replacement of Newhaven, and so I wondered to myself "Which bus companies served Newhaven in the 1950s/60s?" My late father was a keen bus-fancier (is there a term for such a thing?!) and could probably have told me chapter and verse, but a Google search sufficed for me...

Southdown, together with Brighton, Hove & District appear to be the bus companies serving the area. In a fit of madness, I appear to have purchased four buses associated to the area, although all will require destinations tweaking/changing, even if the route numbers remain the same as for the actual Newhaven.

What a broad church* of knowledge is needed for railway modelling?!

HOURS OF FUN!

* No pun intended (or, was it?!)

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Somebody (closely related) decided to spring clean my room whilst I was away on a Residential trip with the Music Service I work for. She needed to move a few things to get the hoover to all the floor, including a roll of lining paper underneath my piano that she thought was rubbish and so threw it away…

Needless to say, that was the full sized track plan mentioned a while ago on this thread…

sigh

HOURS OF FUN!

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2022 at 08:15, SteveyDee68 said:

Somebody (closely related) decided to spring clean my room whilst I was away on a Residential trip with the Music Service I work for. She needed to move a few things to get the hoover to all the floor, including a roll of lining paper underneath my piano that she thought was rubbish and so threw it away…

Needless to say, that was the full sized track plan mentioned a while ago on this thread…

sigh

HOURS OF FUN!

Quiet Easter with no eggs in your house then?

• Funny 2

• 1 month later...

I have been re-reading "Night Ferry" and have come to the conclussion that I need six Type F sleeper cars (or equivalent) plus a couple of Fourgon cars for the actual ferry consist. However, the actual Night Ferry service also included two Pullman dining cars plus additional coaches for "walk on" passengers. I've decided, for the purposes of a model to represent the service, to have two MK1 corridor coaches plus a brake. That gives me a train (by my reckoning) approx 12 coaches long (assuming 2 x Fourgon van is roughly equivalent to a bogie coach).

With an engine at the front (maybe two if double headed) then I need approx fourteen feet of platform to fit the train. 

If, however, the Night Ferry service was partitioned into through sleepers and follow on train for walk on passengers, then maybe seven sleepers, two Fourgon vans and a single Pullman dining car might suffice. This would be approx a nine car train ... and my "long" platform could reduce to approx ten feet in length.

If the foot passengers were run as a follow on train, that might then be a Pullman dining car with three coaches, two brake coaches and perhaps a bogie luggage van, making for a seven coach train, plus loco. Alternatively, a 4-CEP+4-BEP+MLV (9 coaches in length)

Which might then make a 'Minories' type plan  work, with the Night Ferry arriving at one platform and, whilst being loaded onto the ferry, the follow on foot passengers arrive on a second platform.

The headshunt to the ferry linkspan must be four coaches in length plus loco, in order to include a reach wagon, whilst there must also be goods loops to either side of that to allow rapid loading of goods wagons on and off the ferry, before being marshalled into a goods departure lane.*

As mentioned earlier in the thread, having to reverse from the station to get access to the link span makes sense ... what I am still struggling with is avoiding the use of a double slip as I don't want the sharpness of curve that using one of those forces onto coaching stock.

In the words of the King of Siam, It is a puzzlement!

HOURS OF FUN!

* I envisage this as a parallel line to the “long” platform - Dover Marine has a couple of parallel lines along the quayside for direct transfer of goods/luggage, so maybe an extra loop could be justified. Given that the train ferry lies further back towards the station throat, there may be opportunity to have a second vessel moored up alongside - a passenger ferry rather than a train ferry (even more shades of Wardleworth Lines coming into play!)

Edited by SteveyDee68
Corrections

I think I may have enough Bulleid designed pacific locomotives for this project now …

Original West Country “Bideford”**

Original Merchant Navy (“East Asiatic Company”, in blue!!)

Rebuilt West Country “Ottery St Mary”*

Rebuilt Battle of Britain “Sir Frederick Pile”**

Rebuilt Merchant Navy “Bibby Line”

Rebuilt Merchant Navy “Clan Line”

Rebuilt Merchant Navy “Ellerman Lines”

* My great uncle Stanley lived outside Ottery St Mary, so a model I have hankered after for a while finally came into my possession last weekend!

** I am wondering about renumbering this loco to a number beyond the original class, and naming it after my great uncle Stanley, who was an intriguing gentleman who lived a very colourful life, and from the way he spoke you would imagine he was a news reader for the BBC rather than from Manchester! And doing likewise for the unrebuilt West Country, renaming it “Tipton St John” after the village he lived in outside Ottery St Mary! Rivet counters might choke, but Rule #1 applies - and if the Severn Valley Railway can paint their loco purple and rename it “Queen Elizabeth II” for the Platinum Jubilee, I won’t lose sleep over personalising my locos! 😁

Mind you, I only have one Q class 0-6-0 at present - perhaps another might be in order?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just a note holder here to declare that the arrival of a tax rebate concurrent with my birthday and a timely eBay auction means that I have now acquired a second Bulleid diesel, but this time 10203 in green (which is the loco I originally wanted).

I paid a tadge more than I really wanted to, but at least I have one! (Was getting quite frustrated to have other people tell me how they’d got one when they first came out, but never use it!). Looking forward to receiving it in due course - and then finding somewhere to give it a good run! (Brand new and unused - bound to need a bit of oil before running it in!)

Of course, the dilemma I have is whether I put my black liveried 10202 up for sale? I got that for a very reasonable price, so should I hold onto it? Hmmm….

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Amongst various other activities, I’ve been staring at photos of various ports and the railway systems feeding them, all the while pondering away about my proposed Broadhaven layout…

I really like the quayside running as seen at Weymouth, but that would preclude my using the various EMUs I have collected, or the class 71 loco.

Then I had a brainwave … Broadhaven is a terminus (like Dover Marine) which is served by three rail electric, but ferry traffic then has to reverse out along the quayside to reach the ferry berth, as per Weymouth, which justifies splitting the train into smaller portions. This also justifies all those dock shunting locos I have amassed!

Double track along the quay to allow shunting of stock off/on the ship, but operated as single track. Maybe even a third parallel “siding” loop for serving traffic along the quay side.

Broadhaven Quayside would be a smaller station where walk-on passengers and luggage would be transferred to. Maybe a siding to serve the ships, too, and an oil discharge siding for ship fuel bunkering…

Ideas are fizzing again … 

Steve S

• Like 2

@SteveyDee68 I can't see what area / shape layout you're aiming for; I think the images were lost a while back.

But from what you're saying it sounds like a Paul Lunn in Model Rail might be worth considering.

Paul created an L-shaped layout to showcase a collection of model ships. 

There was a FY on one side with a Weymouth quayside in front of it. Trains would energe from the FY pass over a bridge / viaduct a la Folkestone and entrepreneurs a station similar to Portsmouth Harbour. 

Kickbacks to additional quays and the one in front of the FY. Let me know if you'd like to see the plan snd I'll see if I can dig it out. 

Andy

• 1 month later...
On 02/06/2023 at 07:47, AndyB said:

@SteveyDee68 I can't see what area / shape layout you're aiming for; I think the images were lost a while back.

But from what you're saying it sounds like a Paul Lunn in Model Rail might be worth considering.

Paul created an L-shaped layout to showcase a collection of model ships. 

There was a FY on one side with a Weymouth quayside in front of it. Trains would energe from the FY pass over a bridge / viaduct a la Folkestone and entrepreneurs a station similar to Portsmouth Harbour. 

Kickbacks to additional quays and the one in front of the FY. Let me know if you'd like to see the plan snd I'll see if I can dig it out. 

Andy

Further to Andy’s post above, and a helpful DM, I’ve picked up a copy of the Model Rail planning book with a very nice harbour design by Paul Lunn as outlined above by @AndyB - although I could have sworn I already had that particular magazine, it turned out I had a later volume, which reused one of the line drawing illustrations (hence my recognition and thinking I had it!)

Much thinking has been going on, despite nothing appearing here (and I really must replace the missing images), much of which has stemmed from reading and re-reading various layout plans by Paul and trying to think about things the way he does!

One thing that has bothered me is the issue of curves - or, rather, that the ends of coaches are flung unrealistically outwards from the track on them, unless they are laid to a huge radius. I’ve also discovered that I have been fixated upon the idea of a “continuous vista” from eg main station to ferry berth. However, Paul uses non scenic corners to join modelled areas on some of his larger schemes, and the thought has occurred to me that this may be a way to “disguise” sharper curves* and optimise space available for pointwork etc, all to try to eradicate horrible coach end throw!

Meanwhile, I succumbed to one of Hornby’s most recent Britannia locos off eBay yesterday, after having had a cheeky counter offer accepted; my excuse is that “William Shakespeare” was used on the Golden Arrow, so “Oliver Cromwell” can be used on a similarly prestige service for Broadhaven! All that needs to be done to it is to replace the rear end of the coal space on the tender (which is missing) … that will either be a spare part from Hornby (unlikely) or a piece of suitably shaped plasticard, painted to match the tender livery.

HOURS OF FUN!

* I have a set of 4th radius curves which I like to think might be the tightest (hidden) radius used for coaching stock

Edited by SteveyDee68
Clarity
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying remember the name of the track plan book which features a number of progressively more complex designs for Weymouth and its quayside. 

From memory it starts off with a simple plan for the quayside; so obviously is (very) slow speed running and shunting. The more complex variants include Weymouth station and a section of mainline. I'll try and track it down in my local library where I first saw it, although a search of the online catalogue has drawn a blank. 

Cheers. Andy

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I'm trying remember the name of the track plan book which features a number of progressively more complex designs for Weymouth and its quayside. 

From memory it starts off with a simple plan for the quayside; so obviously is (very) slow speed running and shunting. The more complex variants include Weymouth station and a section of mainline. I'll try and track it down in my local library where I first saw it, although a search of the online catalogue has drawn a blank. 

Cheers. Andy

Hi Andy

I'm looking at an article by Anthony New in Hornby Magazine from June 2008 titled Modelling Weymouth's Harbour tramway.  It fits your description to a tee. and includes diagramatic plans of the actual Weymouth Pier layout from 1931, 1960 and 1973. There are four layout plans, the first, in 8ft x 6ft  for a terminus to fiddle yard with just the Pier, then an 11ft x 8ft plan including a longish stretch of the tramway as well, then two more that also includ Weymouth Town, the second of which in 12ft x 8ft also includes Castle Cary (the junction for the Weymouth line) with a continuous run main line and a reversing curve.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2