Locomotive 'open cab' canvas weather covers

Hi Guys,i have several GWR open cab loco's and i am trying to find someone who supplies a version of a canvas weather cover (rolled up to be fitted just under the roof of the cab ) to add a touch more realism.

Failing that,has anyone made any from scratch ?

Thanks.     Greg Brown.

You might find you get a better response if this had been posted in modeling questions help and tips. 

I make my own and I believe most other people also make there own from either rolled up tissue paper or very fine cloth (silk maybe) You might find unless it's a coloured silk or simular an opened out one won't survive the stress and riggers of layout life as the loco and tender will turn to a much greater degree in model form than in real life.

I have done a couple in wine cork foils that can cope with a bit of manhandling and can be reshaped if necessary..You can see one in the rear of this pic. The strange outline is as was on the prototype - it had a cab extension plate  to provide a seating for a sheet for snowplough duties.

20200908_175238.jpg.856b40f89082657b57f747d66e2080bf.jpg

• Like 2

Ah yes.....i just need them to be fixed in place unopened (i.e tightly rolled up )......strange nobody does universal ones that could be cut to size.I may try your method though,so thank you.

Greg.

I have used the same method as @Ben Alder works a treat. When I ran out of wine I used kitchen foil and foil sweet wrappers (Christmas sweets).

Kitchen foil can also be used for representing very thin sheets of metal, if you are very careful and don't need them in high traffic areas. 

The painting is key though. 

Guest Jack Benson

Wet wipes, the scourge of the sewers, are a really tough but thin tissue that has a nice texture for tarps etc.  Wash off whatever ‘wet stuff’ is on the wipe, air dry them and then use acrylics.

Cheers and Stay Safe